Audio Orbital's Ten Minute Reviews: 9/20 - Opeth - Sorceress

Found the album of the week to write about. No secrets, not hiding anything - it's Gojira. This one is a powerhouse.

While I'm giving this album a day or two to digest, here's a track to tide you over.

Review delayed, will be released Monday June 13th.

6/13/16: Gojira - Magma

Magma, by the French metal band Gojira, expands on their previous sound while adding a whole new dimension to it. The riffs are as good as they've ever been, and this album is the complete experience. The Duplantier brothers are in top form with this extremely emotional album, as they musically process the sad passing of their mother. This review features three tracks released by the band: Stranded, Silvera, and The Shooting Star.

Genre: Progressive Metal, Groove Metal
Release Date: 6/17/16
Rating: 14/15

It's monday and I still don't have a good new release to talk about. Does anyone know of any recently released or soon-to-be-released albums? I'm not writing about the red hot chili peppers, that much is certain.

Instead of talking about a new album release, I have decided to go back to talk about the best music of last year. I'll be going through the best 15 albums of 2015, putting out about three a day or so. The first one will be coming very shortly.

2015 Best Albums: #15 - Motorhead - Bad Magic

As there are no significant album releases this week worth writing about, instead we'll be doing a rewind of the 15 best albums of 2015! This fifteenth spot is somewhat honorary, and was reserved for the late Lemmy Kilmister, who passed away in December 2015.

Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Release Date: August 28, 2015
Rating: N/A

2015 Best Albums: #13 - Ghost - Meliora

Genre: Heavy Metal, Progressive Rock
Release Date: August 21, 2015
Rating: 13/15

Here's a few for you to try on for size:

Joe Bonamassa: Blues of Desperation
Kamasi Washington: The Epic (Note, this is a THREE disc jazz album, so if that's going to be a bit of a hurdle to leap, I don't blame you for passing on this one)

Here's a few for you to try on for size:

Joe Bonamassa: Blues of Desperation
Kamasi Washington: The Epic (Note, this is a THREE disc jazz album, so if that's going to be a bit of a hurdle to leap, I don't blame you for passing on this one)
Thanks for the heads up. I've liked Bonamassa ever since Black Country Communion got together, I was a big fan of the other three guys of Hughes, Bonham, and Sherinian.

That Bonamassa album came out in March, so I'm not sure why I missed it. I do sometimes miss out on solo guitarist albums that come out every year or two like Buckethead/Steve Vai/Joe Satriani, so I guess it just fell into that line of albums I missed.

As for The Epic, I see it came out last year, right around when I started getting into jazz heavily. That looks like a mighty three hour tour so I'll give it a listen when I have a good half day to give to it.

2015 Best Albums: #9 - The Gentle Storm - The Diary

Genre: Folk Rock (Gentle side), Progressive Metal (Storm side)
Release Date: March 23, 2015

Last edited:
2015 Best Albums: #8 - Beardfish - +4626-Comfortzone

Genre: Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal
Release Date: January 27, 2015
Rating: 12/15, updated to 14/15 after further review

Last edited:
2015 Best Albums: #7 - Symphony X - Underworld

Genre: Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal
Release Date: July 24, 2015
Rating: 14.5/15

Last edited:
2015 Best Albums: #5 - Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine

This review comes with three tracks from the album, as well as an interview by late guitarist Piotr Grudzinski, who passed suddenly in February of this year. RIP Piotr.

Genre: Progressive Rock
Release Date: September 4, 2015

2015 Best Albums: #4 - Failure - The Heart is a Monster

This review comes with two tracks from the album. A triumphant return following an almost 20 year absence, Failure not only comes back strong but created a worthwhile sequel to their 1996 album, Fantastic Planet, that was at least as good if not superior. This album is a monster.

Genre: Space Rock, Alternative Rock
Release Date: June 30, 2015

2015 Best Albums: #3 - Earthside - A Dream in Static

This review comes with the ENTIRE album posted throughout the review, as the band was gracious enough to release it in its entirety track by track on youtube. This was a tremendous debut album, and the kind of breakout performance that put the rest of the progressive metal community on notice that a new challenger has arrived.

Genre: Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock
Release Date: October 23, 2015
Rating: 14.5/15

Back