Australia passes Gay Marriage.

HIMBOB

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Fucking finally.

After about 10+ years of debate; wasting thousands of hours of sitting time, a $120million postal vote and hundreds of millions of hours of discussion between citizens Australia has finally given in and passed the inevitable.

Now we can move on and get to wasting more time with the dual citizenship problem.

I predict this will personally cost me about $500 in wedding presents and little else.

I don't quite understand what the hickup over the word marriage is, frankly. Give them equal rights (including adoption) and tax benefits, but don't call it marriage to avoid confusion with religious concepts.

Glad for those who feel they need this, though.

About fucking time. Such a non-issue.

Shows how ineffectual politicians are these days that they are claiming this as some sort of accomplishment within parliament.

I don't quite understand what the hickup over the word marriage is, frankly. Give them equal rights (including adoption) and tax benefits, but don't call it marriage to avoid confusion with religious concepts.

You can marry outside of church

You can marry outside of church

I know, but the concept of marriage is based on traditional religious concepts. In a sense I don't understand it both ways. Why is the church so occupied with the term marriage if it does not occur in the church? And why are same-sex couple so occupied with calling it marriage if everything else is the same?

I know, but the concept of marriage is based on traditional religious concepts. In a sense I don't understand it both ways. Why is the church so occupied with the term marriage if it does not occur in the church? And why are same-sex couple so occupied with calling it marriage if everything else is the same?

Because the term 'marriage' still carries a certain cachet in society so why wouldn't they want to call it that .

<mma4>

genuinely happy for them, never had any problem with men who kiss men and women who kiss other women, but I will never be okay with the next SJW fight, mentally ill men,with tits and a cock, should never be accepted in society.

<{cum@me}>

Last edited:
Conservatives are gonna be maaaaaaaaaaaad......

Yeah, based on. The term obviously has expanded beyond the religious (non-christian) origins.

fabulous1.jpg

Most stupid non issue of the century. Just don't force priest to marry you.

I've never understood why anyone would be against same sex marriage. Either you think Gays should have the same rights as straight people. Or you hate Gays, in which case you should support them getting married so they can be just as miserable as Straight couples;)

It really isn't though. Marriage has always been a social contract, with the church simply being the largest and most powerful social institution for so long the two became intertwined in the minds of many. The actual role the Church played can be played by the government, providing validation in the eyes of others.

People get married now wherever and by whoever they want, but everybody getting married is getting the license from the state to make it official. The Church is just personal touch, like floral arrangements or choice of appetizers. It can matter a lot to the couple, not matter at all, or not even play a part in the proceedings.

I think it's more of a matter of principle. Imagine marriage was only for Christians and I couldn't get married since I'm athiest. Even if I never wanted to get married I sure as hell do now.

Inb4 Australia starts getting laws like making the intentional infection of Aids/HIV only a "misdemeanor" in order to remove a "negative stigma".

Or they can call it what ever they want including marriage.

Back