Automatic gunfire in doors. In movies. No ear protection

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
Could you imagine? Guns are loud. And they are shouting and hearing each other and ears arent ringing.

You know in movie. Big gun fight and automatic weapons going off for like 30 minutes.

Also imagine ww1 or ww2 gun fire.

First time I shot a gun indoors doing room clearing I nearly gave myself a heart attack. Holy shit it is much louder than outdoors. I always laugh at that too in the movies. Or how they walk away from a big explosion and they hear just fine afterward. At least saving private Ryan got that right.

You get use to it overtime and it becomes easier to tolerate......

One more reason to love The Sopranos.

I accidentally walked into the shooting lanes, at the indoor range of the gun club I belonged to at the time; without hearing protection; during live fire...ONCE.

Do cops wear ear protection, I wonder? I wonder if gangbangers do too?

How long has ear pro been around? Even those old muskets are loud. In fact, they are louder than modern small arms. They called them hand cannons for something.

And those guys stood in mass formation and kept firing.

How long has ear pro been around? Even those old muskets are loud. In fact, they are louder than modern small arms. They called them hand cannons for something.

I'm actually gonna buy a set of Peltor ears to go with my helmet that will click into my pacset(hand held radio).

Would be kind of cute to see a bunch of hardened thugs handing out ear protection before a drive-by

I've never fired a gun. I think the one thing that always amazed me the most about the GOAT gunfight in cinema (Heat bank robbery) was the sound. I've never heard anything like that shit in any other film since.

if you made it to like age 50 or 60 back then. Your hearing must be so fucked. probably not full deaf but i could see real damaged. Or deaf in 1 ear

Anyone who served in combat here? When I was in the army they handed out ear plugs at the range but they never talked about using it combat. I think we just assumed we would but I'd imagine there would be a lot of situations where you won't have time to put in ear plugs before shit goes down.
I recall in the book, On Killing, the author says the adrenaline drowns out the senses so it doesn't really affect you.

Would be kind of cute to see a bunch of hardened thugs handing out ear protection before a drive-by

I've never fired a gun. I think the one thing that always amazed me the most about the GOAT gunfight in cinema (Heat bank robbery) was the sound. I've never heard anything like that shit in any other film since.

One of the things Michael Mann did / does which is revolutionary, but which should really be kind of obvious, is record & use the live sounds of the actual gunfire you are seeing onscreen, & use that as his final product, rather than dub it in with sound effects like literally just about every other movie & TV show. The result of that is the visceral realism that punches you in the gut when a gun is fired in one of his films. Canned sound effects, which again just about everyone else uses, feel safe, clean, slightly unreal, like a video game. Mann’s genius here is just in the simplicity of preserving the guttural realness of actual gunfire sounds.

Anyone who served in combat here? When I was in the army they handed out ear plugs at the range but they never talked about using it combat. I think we just assumed we would but I'd imagine there would be a lot of situations where you won't have time to put in ear plugs before shit goes down.
I recall in the book, On Killing, the author says the adrenaline drowns out the senses so it doesn't really affect you.

What army you in?

Sure it's great to have realistic portrayal of physics in action movies, but movies primary purpose is to entertain. When real world physics get in the way of story-telling, certain rules will be bent, especially ones where many people have not experience themselves first hand.

Imagine how boring and short car chases would be if everything is 100% real.

2,Iraq. 1 Afghanistan. One day at Ft. Carson for the first Iraq deployment premob training in 03 (I was Infantry) we were on the 240 range and I was AGing. I decided fuck earplugs for some reason. When that thing went off I ended up curling up in the fetal position w/ hands over ears until they called ceasefire.

I couldn't hear for 10 minutes and there was blood in my ear from being next to the ejection port.

Not even the .50 without plugs was louder.

One of the things Michael Mann did / does which is revolutionary, but which should really be kind of obvious, is record & use the live sounds of the actual gunfire you are seeing onscreen, & use that as his final product, rather than dub it in with sound effects like literally just about every other movie & TV show. The result of that is the visceral realism that punches you in the gut when a gun is fired in one of his films. Canned sound effects, which again just about everyone else uses, feel safe, clean, slightly unreal, like a video game. Mann’s genius here is just in the simplicity of preserving the guttural realness of actual gunfire sounds.

fuck. It's midnight I have work tomorrow and now I want to watch Collateral

I'm a bit of a gun nut; bought my first rifle when I was twelve. Always wear ear protection, with the exception of an AR 15 pistol I bought on a whim a few years ago. Picked it up at the dealer, took it home and shoved a few rounds in the mag. I forgot earplugs, but just held it out from my waist and let 'er rip. Hole.Lee.Shit. Never, ever, ever again. I was in physical agony. The 5.56 round is not meant to be fired from a 7.5 inch barrel without suppression. This would be the last gun I would grab if someone broke into my house...fire it in an enclosed area and never hear again. Dumped it at a gun show immediately. Good riddance.

Back