B.J. Penn Was The First To Hold Two Belts Simultaneously ( Proof Inside )

It also says ...

Penn was also a Co-champion in the UFC 41 Lightweight Tournament, due to an eventual draw opposite Caol Uno in the tournament finale.

And Caol Uno wiki says,

He is the Co-Champion of the UFC 41 Lightweight Tournament

UFC announced them as co-champions as well. I have no idea who did. I am not claiming Buffer did but someone on the that broadcast announced it that night after the fight before the event ended.

Just face the facts folks.

B.J. Penn was the co lw champion and ww champion at the same time.

at the very least ....

He was the #1 LW in the world + WW champion at the same time and since UFC no longer had a LW division. That would be the same as being champs in two divisions. Similar to how a WEC belt was the premier belt for the lower weight divisions before UFC bought them out and swallowed their roster.

The first statement is correct but if you don't at least agree with the second .. you are likely a B.J. Penn hater.

Eventually the UFC gave him 10 belts but he still went home without them after the fight. Which answered the question asked of me.

No it's not. It is possible to have co-champions. In an event that there is a tie in a championship anything ... it's possible that both be participants be named co-champions.

I have no Idea who announced it but someone did after the fight and before the broadcast was over.
At first i have to say...
I ain't hating on Penn at all (just in case you might think it)...he is one of the All-Time-Greats...THE man at LW...and one of my fav's

...i just dusted off my UFC41 DVD
Things i've noticed...
1. Before announcing the decision, Buffers face tells it all...while getting the scorecards

2. Big Johns face, right at the announcement, is as priceless as Buffers...

3. BJ was like WTF???

4. back then the fighters still walked down the ramp to the octagon and Larry Landless was allways to be seen...

5. BJ x Uno was actually a mid-card fight...Mir x Tank followed and then Sylvia ko'd Ricco for the HW strap

6. Goldie was commentating with Ken Shamrock...

7. The then to be future President of the USA Donald Trump was ringside...talking about money and big things

8.when they summed up the event, no mention of Co-Champion...also not during the Broadcast. I don't know..there is nothing cut out (nothing between rounds or fights but since it is DVD, it could be)...there was a video with Chuck calling for a fight against Tito and Goldie's question for Ken was:"Is Tito ducking Chuck?"...Goldberg must be a Sherdogger hahaa..

Goldie did say, while summing up the fight:"This time it was no decision, it was a draw, they have to do it again"

For me, personally, it doesn't count as a championship belt...
It was a draw and getting the title 'Co-Champion' as a result in a fight, sounds a bit like a consolation prize...
BJ won his first belt against Stevenson...

It was a draw and in this case, the judges decision...couldn't have been more of a flop lol

Last edited:
Agree that they were co-champions at the end of that event, but when the UFC abandoned the division....I'm sorry but technically they were no longer champions.

If you want to award him as "champion" in 2003 on a technicality, you must be willing to accept the technicality that he cannot be considered a UFC champion when the division is abandoned.

Agree he was first 2 weight UFC champ in 2004 but it was not simultaneous.

Also...much respect to Caol Uno who I had honestly forgotten was a UFC champ. He was also shooto champ which (let's be real) was the real #1 most important belt in that division prior to like 2005 & pride LW tourney.

I ain't hating on Penn at all (just in case you might think it)...he is one of the All-Time-Greats...THE man at LW...and one of my fav's

Things i've noticed...
1. Before announcing the decision, Buffers face tells it all...while getting the scorecards

3. BJ was like WTF???

4. back then the fighters still walked down the ramp to the octagon and Larry Landless was allways to be seen...

5. BJ x Uno was actually a mid-card fight...Mir x Tank followed and then Sylvia ko'd Ricco for the HW strap

7. The then to be future President of the USA Donald Trump was ringside...talking about money and big things

8.when they summed up the event, no mention of Co-Champion...also not during the Broadcast. I don't know..there is nothing cut out (nothing between rounds or fights but since it is DVD, it could be)...there was a video with Chuck calling for a fight against Tito and Goldie's question for Ken was:"Is Tito ducking Chuck?"...Goldberg must be a Sherdogger hahaa..

Goldie did say, while summing up the fight:"This time it was no decision, it was a draw, they have to do it again"

It was a draw and getting the title 'Co-Champion' as a result in a fight, sounds a bit like a consolation prize...

It was a draw and in this case, the judges decision...couldn't have been more of a flop lol

I will have to go back and watch. I was aware of most the things you brought up. I remember and others that I have talked about this topic about remember the same. B.J. and Uno were announced as co-champions on the broadcast. I will admit if this is not the case it puts a damper on my claims but it still don't mean I am wrong.

It's a unique situation because no-one was the champion before hand. Usually the champion will retain the belt in combat sports if there is a tie.

Agree that they were co-champions at the end of that event, but when the UFC abandoned the division....I'm sorry but technically they were no longer champions.

If you want to award him as "champion" in 2003 on a technicality, you must be willing to accept the technicality that he cannot be considered a UFC champion when the division is abandoned.

Agree he was first 2 weight UFC champ in 2004 but it was not simultaneous.

Also...much respect to Caol Uno who I had honestly forgotten was a UFC champ. He was also shooto champ which (let's be real) was the real #1 most important belt in that division prior to like 2005 & pride LW tourney.

I am not awarding on a technicality. I am awarding on merit that he doesn't get credit for. His championship doesn't get voided because the UFC doesn't put on another LW fight for him to defend or unify against Uno.

Another important question in all of this would be ... when did the UFC officially decide to put a hold on the LW division ?

The two fights ( Uno vs Penn and Hughes vs Penn ) were not that far apart. One was in 2003 and the other was in 2004.

Edit : and off course Uno deserves credit to. One of the somewhat forgotten about great fighters of the past

So he became champion without beating anyone and never had to defend it because the division was dissolved....... Lol cmon man. That is #1 bullshit
Better than becoming champ, throwing a hissy fit/dolly, and being stripped of both titles without a single defense after more than 500 days.

Your right it was a poor choice.

He wasn't technically ... he in fact was the first dual champion to hold belts at the same time.

*you're

Also i don't think you know what "fact" means either

Irrefutable evidence.
BJ-Penn-Holding-His-UFC-Champion-Belts.jpg

No it don't. Being co-champion still makes you a champion just like being an Interim champion still makes you a champion.

B.J. was also ranked as the number 1 LW in the world at the time. And also ranked as the P4P King by many.
You did it again, use of qualifiers like Co- and Interim proves you wrong. Those aren’t “Champion” with no constraints. Your naive persona for trolling is also wearing out, no one is that transparently stupid.

So even though the LW division didn't exist, he was the reigning LW champ after not actually beating anyone to in it then beating Hughes?

Wtf?
Exactly.

OP is the definition of fake news

The fact it has 30+likes, just goes to show you that there are 30 idiots in the world who believe everything they are told without ever doing the fact-checking or research for themself

At no point was BJ ever the LW champ and WW champ at the same time

Conor is the only one in UFC history to do so

What's funny too is how insecure BJ fans will try to downplay Conor's 2 belt accomplishment

BJ won the LW belt when LW was in its infancy/re-won it against Joe freaking Stevenson lol.

And BJ's WW title shot against Hughes was an absolute joke. BJ had never even fought at WW prior to that

Conor's 155 title shot was far far far more legit. Conor actually had had fights at 155 before. Conor was the current undisputed FW champ who was coming off a win over a giant LW who had fought for the LW title before

BJ wasnt a champ when he got that gift shot at Hughes. BJ had never even fought at WW before.

I'm Also pretty sure BJ wasn't even a ranked LW when he fought Hughes for the WW title (all though I could be wrong on that)

In reality, Conor's 2 belt accomplishment is the most legit, relevant, and most significant one in MMA history

Conor was the only one to be truly #1 ranked in both divisions at the same time

Conor beat the actual lineal champs of both divisions - and became the legit lineal undisputed champ of both divisions

Conor wrecked shop at 145 and was an actual current champion when fighting for the title at a higher weight class.

Haters like to say "bu but others wouldve done it too if given the chance"

The irony. BJ Penn was GIVEN that chance, and he failed miserably

But I will give BJ props for even trying. No one else even had the balls to try it

Jones ducked HW like the plague and always had an excuse for why he couldn't go to his natural weight class of HW and fight Cain/Santos/Stipe.

Aldo talked a big game about it, but never actually put his words into action

Anderson only moved up to 205 to fight handpicked brawlers and always made excuses to not challenge Shogun when Shogun was the champ

Mini-Mouse blatantly DUCKED TJ and already got outclassed 50-45 across the board by Cruz.

Yes, you read the title right but before you dismiss my claim hear me out.

On Feb. 28 / 2003 at UFC 41 Penn and Uno fought to a split draw after a five round LW championship bout.

Judges scored the bout :

48–47 Uno
48–46 Penn
48–48

This match was the final match of a 4-man tournament that took place over several cards to crown a new lightweight champion. After the fight was ruled a draw, both men were declared Co-champions of the UFC LW division.

- After UFC 41,2003, Penn wouldn't loose at LW until 2010.
- In that same time frame he also defeated Matt Hughes for the UFC WW title.
- UFC removed the LW division after B.J. and Uno were declared the co-champions.
- Making B.J. Penn the last UFC LW champion before winning the WW Belt.

Technically B.J. Penn was the Co-UFC LW Champion and WW Champion after defeating Hughes. Making him the first ever UFC fighter to hold two UFC Belts at the same time.

Edit:

Here is another fun fact ..

The Uno vs. Penn championship fight took place in 2003

The Hughes vs Penn championship fight took place in 2004

If he was co-champion, wouldn't that be like holding a half of a belt? So Penn is the first person to hold one-and-a-half belts simultaneously....

Last edited:
Exactly.

At no point was BJ ever the LW champ and WW champ at the same time

Incorrect

B.J. and Uno both competed in a tournament to crown the UFC LW Champion. Both made it to the finals and it was a draw. Making them both the winners of the tournament and co-lw champions.

The following year ( yes, it was only a year apart ) B.J. Penn beat Matt Hughes for the WW title. Making B.J. Penn the UFC WW Champion and Co-LW Champion.

To further expand on the legitimacy of my claims. After he became the UFC Co-LW Champion he fought GOMI and won and then was widely considered the # 1 Lightweight in the world.

Conor is the only one in UFC history to do so

Incorrect - see above !

What's funny too is how insecure BJ fans will try to downplay Conor's 2 belt accomplishment

BJ won the LW belt when LW was in its infancy/re-won it against Joe freaking Stevenson lol.

And BJ's WW title shot against Hughes was an absolute joke. BJ had never even fought at WW prior to that

BJ fought the very best fighters in the world from his debut until he retired. B.J. got the shot at Hughes for a number of reasons.

1. There was no-one left for Hughes to face at WW that he haven't already beat. Hughes was a very dominate WW champion and at the time many considered Hughes the # 1 P4P. A title B.J. would take after defeating him.

2. B.J. just finishing proving himself as the #1 LW in the world.

With no-more challenges in the WW division for Hughes.. UFC had to look elsewhere. So they brought in the Prodigy to dethrone the king.

Conor's 155 title shot was far far far more legit. Conor actually had had fights at 155 before. Conor was the current undisputed FW champ who was coming off a win over a giant LW who had fought for the LW title before

He was coming of a win from a win one loose one fighter who he also happen to loose to. Did you forget that Conor and Nate are 1-1.

BJ wasnt a champ when he got that gift shot at Hughes. BJ had never even fought at WW before.

Not only was B.J. a champion when he faced Hughes he was also ranked #1 at LW by many in the world.

I'm Also pretty sure BJ wasn't even a ranked LW when he fought Hughes for the WW title (all though I could be wrong on that)

I wish I would have read this first .......

B.J. was widely considered by most as the #1 LW in the world at the time he fought Matt Hughes. He was fresh of a win vs. Gomi who was his rival for the #1 spot.

In reality, Conor's 2 belt accomplishment is the most legit, relevant, and most significant one in MMA history

Nope, B.J. fought nothing but the best ior much bigger guys then himself while Conor starved himself to be the biggest FW in a division for a size advantage. Once Conor faced someone that was slightly bigger then himself. He struggled and went 1-1 with that fighter.

Conor was the only one to be truly #1 ranked in both divisions at the same time

Nope

Conor wrecked shop at 145 and was an actual current champion when fighting for the title at a higher weight class.

He didn't wreck shop. He beat Mendes who came in on late notice while he himself had a full camp. He then flash KO'd a long time champ Aldo and ran from the division. Conor defended the FW belt 0 times. That is not the record of someone who "wrecked shop".

Edgar deserved to fight Conor at 145 lbs ...
Aldo deserved his rematch ....
Mendes deserved a shot with a full camp...

If Conor stuck around at FW and defended 2-3 times then more would see him as you do.

Haters like to say "bu but others wouldve done it too if given the chance"

The irony. BJ Penn was GIVEN that chance, and he failed miserably

It's not haters saying that. It's poster's trying educate others. As I pointed out B.J. did not fail at it - he was the first to do it but is given no credit for his accomplishment.

Jones ducked HW like the plague and always had an excuse for why he couldn't go to his natural weight class of HW and fight Cain/Santos/Stipe.

Aldo talked a big game about it, but never actually put his words into action

Anderson only moved up to 205 to fight handpicked brawlers and always made excuses to not challenge Shogun when Shogun was the champ

Mini-Mouse blatantly DUCKED TJ and already got outclassed 50-45 across the board by Cruz.

Jones ran into so many issues it's hard to know what he would have done if he wasn't getting popped left and right.

Aldo was told that if he fought for the LW belt he would have to drop his FW belt.

Anderson fought former champions in the LW division.

Mini-Mouse fought over sized guys for years before UFC decided to include his weight class.

* Plus fighters don't need to move up just to appease the fans.

If he was co-champion, wouldn't that be like holding a half of a belt? So Penn is the first person to hold one-and-a-half belts simultaneously....

No being co-champion means there are two fighters in the division that share the honor of being called a champion.

Last edited:
I will have to go back and watch. I was aware of most the things you brought up. I remember and others that I have talked about this topic about remember the same. B.J. and Uno were announced as co-champions on the broadcast. I will admit if this is not the case it puts a damper on my claims but it still don't mean I am wrong.

It's a unique situation because no-one was the champion before hand. Usually the champion will retain the belt in combat sports if there is a tie.
Can you tag me...?...if you found it, i would like to know

No shit?
I replied to a thread about BJ's belt with a joke about that exact belt and how it pertains to the topic.
I guess that's where i am in my life, making bad MMA jokes relevant to the topic on an MMA site, what's your excuse? Just working on your post count?

Not counting posts but counting how many times my balls slap against your mum's arse.

Things i've noticed...

3. BJ was like WTF???

Dude, didn't you know? Bj and Uno were the tag team LW champs of the world and since no one beat both of them at the same time, Uno and Penn are still the actual UFC LW champs of the world........

Can you tag me...?...if you found it, i would like to know

Can do ....

Dude, didn't you know? Bj and Uno were the tag team LW champs of the world and since no one beat both of them at the same time, Uno and Penn are still the actual UFC LW champs of the world........

Definition of co-champion - one who shares the title of champion with another person

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cochampion

There you go ... you finally know the meaning of co-champions. Sorry to burst your bubble and your imaginary two on one mma match.

Can do ....

Definition of co-champion - one who shares the title of champion with another person

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cochampion

There you go ... you finally know the meaning of co-champions. Sorry to burst your bubble and your imaginary two on one mma match.
I can't help but lol at you thinking I was serious.... Per you, BJ was defending his ufc belt outside the ufc, not even having LW fights... Equally hilarious.

Back