Back control tactics

Mr Rick

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
what are people's favourite techniques or tactics when you have taken someones back. Trapping the arm bj penn style? Triangling (how do you spell that?) the legs? Popping their head like Maia vs story?
index.php

what are people's favourite techniques or tactics when you have taken someones back. Trapping the arm bj penn style? Triangling (how do you spell that?) the legs? Popping their head like Maia vs story?
index.php
When I take the back and flatten them out, it's all over from there. I come from a wrestling background on top of everything, so it's easy for me to get in a dominant position and to maintain it. now if I'm in a grappling tournament, I love getting that body triangle locked in
image.png
This is an animation, but you get the gist. I love the body triangle. I won my first ever BJJ tournament years and years ago by this very tactic right here. I got my opponent so mentally exhausted and soon as I got my arm under the neck, he tapped immediately. It's one I do keep in my arsenal quite often when at a grappling tournament.

I hate having the body triangle done to me, unfortunately my legs are too short/thick to ever get it!

From turtle, it's all about the Truck. 10th planet jj classic. I love how traditional gi guys turtle to avoid the pass because I love attacking the turtle with the truck. So many options just from the truck, or it's an easy way to get the belly up back control with minimal effort.

From belly up back control

Gordon Ryan hand traps and face crush RNC. ;)

Or

Seat belt> arm trap> rear triangle-kimura combo.

All about finishing that RNC. The lion killer finishes more fights than any other submission. Once you take someone's back, chances of them surviving your RNC attempt should be slim.

From turtle, it's all about the Truck. 10th planet jj classic. I love how traditional gi guys turtle to avoid the pass because I love attacking the turtle with the truck. So many options just from the truck, or it's an easy way to get the belly up back control with minimal effort.

From belly up back control

Gordon Ryan hand traps and face crush RNC. ;)

Or

Seat belt> arm trap> rear triangle-kimura combo.
I like the truck it's a fun position. I think when you go to it from turtle you end in a nicer position for the twister rather than from reverse side control and roll to it, where you end up further round by the legs. At least I tend to anyway. I tend to forget about going to it for some reason. My first instinct is always putting my hooks in.

Tell me more about Gordon Ryan's hand traps. As in using your leg to trap an arm or something different.

All about finishing that RNC. The lion killer finishes more fights than any other submission. Once you take someone's back, chances of them surviving your RNC attempt should be slim.
I agree it's at the pinnacle of chokes. Wondering if anyone has any nice set ups to actually sink the thing in that they want to share.

Kimura to armbar

That's the money technique for me. For a while I was constantly getting to the back but couldn't finish the chokes to save my life, so I've been threatening with armbars instead. My whole armbar game improved, and it gave me more openings for chokes too. Now I'm working on trapping the arm with my leg, but I haven't figured out the positioning right yet.

Now I'm working on trapping the arm with my leg, but I haven't figured out the positioning right yet.

One of my favorites if I can get it. If your opponent drops an arm to try to quickly clear a hook, simply grab their arm and throw your leg over their arm. You can also push their arm down, then trap it with leg. A little harder to pull off. The longer your legs and more flexible your hips are the easier this is, as you’ll be able to bring your leg higher and catch their arm higher.

I like the truck it's a fun position. I think when you go to it from turtle you end in a nicer position for the twister rather than from reverse side control and roll to it, where you end up further round by the legs. At least I tend to anyway. I tend to forget about going to it for some reason. My first instinct is always putting my hooks in.

Tell me more about Gordon Ryan's hand traps. As in using your leg to trap an arm or something different.

He's used this in adcc, ebi, and against Yuri. It's not complicated and super effective.

I love the truck because it catches guys by surprise. In battle, the element of surprise is always an advantage. Guys already anticipate you're going to scoop for hooks so that what they're defending. They're no expecting to get peeled into the truck. So now I have them in a bad position they're not familiar with, and they're caught off guard. It's still my favorite turtle attack.

It's interesting that he goes to the traditionally 'wrong' side. I was always taught to lay the person your trying to choke onto your arm. And if your trying to escape to move away from that choking arm. I saw a thing by rener Gracie that said if you go to the wrong side there are more options for different attacks not just the rear naked choke. It's like I don't know which way is up anymore!

It's interesting that he goes to the traditionally 'wrong' side. I was always taught to lay the person your trying to choke onto your arm. And if your trying to escape to move away from that choking arm. I saw a thing by rener Gracie that said if you go to the wrong side there are more options for different attacks not just the rear naked choke. It's like I don't know which way is up anymore!

I've seen a video of Roger Gracie explaining he likes going to the "wrong" side too. If it's good enough for Roger Gracie, it's good enough for me.

That's the money technique for me. For a while I was constantly getting to the back but couldn't finish the chokes to save my life, so I've been threatening with armbars instead. My whole armbar game improved, and it gave me more openings for chokes too. Now I'm working on trapping the arm with my leg, but I haven't figured out the positioning right yet.

My old coach. Beast.

My old coach. Beast.

I've had a few issues lately with people bringing their arm back after I trapped it with my leg like he shows. I'm thinking it might be because I'm too aligned with them and might need to angle myself differently. Anyone encountered this problem and solved it?

I've had a few issues lately with people bringing their arm back after I trapped it with my leg like he shows. I'm thinking it might be because I'm too aligned with them and might need to angle myself differently. Anyone encountered this problem and solved it?
Have you ever tried to hook it all the way back behind them? Like use your instep and put it back behind the small of their back

I really enjoy locking down one hip with one hook and crossed ankles. But the most important part about the back is getting the choke in transition. Control is important but if they're focused on defending, it's going to be a bitch to finish

Have you ever tried to hook it all the way back behind them? Like use your instep and put it back behind the small of their back

Usually that's when they keep their arm straight against their body and slide it out.

Writing this, I'm realizing I'll have to work on solving the issue with a buddy in the gym :D

Back