Back to Basics - Why is GSP fighting Bisping and not Woodley?

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
Not clear about this, though I know I know I know it's been discussed a lot.

In GSP's mind Bisping is a more winnable fight than Woodley.

Losing to Bisping still leaves all his other options for big fights available.

If he loses to Woodley, who would want to see him fight the MW champ?

IMO it is because he was out for so long, and going down to 170 is a lot harder on him.
Plus Bisping is a huge opportunity for him. The weakest (top) guy in the division who is more than willing to fight GSP just so he avoids other top contenders.

Beating Bisping will make him a two devision champ which just means a lot more than winning the 170 title again. Also I see Woodley actually being a harder fight for GSP as well, plus the lower reward and being a smaller draw.

The same reason Woodley wants to fight GSP (a guy who has been retired for four years and so isn't in the top 10 WW ranking) instead of a top WW contender - because GSP, Bisping and Woodley all want to make as much money as possible, and right now for Woodley and Bisping that means GSP, while for GSP that means Bisping.

If Woodley was as big or bigger a draw than Bisping than GSP would be fighting him. In this case its all about money for everyone involved, including the UFC.

By rights neither Bisping, Woodley, or the UFC would want anything to do with GSP until he proves he's still a contender after not setting foot int the cage for four years. But money changes everything.

Its fascinating that people wonder why GSP wants to fight Bisping rather than Woodley, but never stop to ask why Woodley wants to fight GSP. Think about it, GSP isn't even a top ten ranked WW, because he's been out of action for four years. He should have to earn a title shot. Woodley should be laughing at the idea that GSP has earned a title shot with him. Instead Woodley is complaining that GSP isn't fighting him $$$$

According to GSP, Bisping's 'stock' is higher.

Beating Woodley does next to nothing for him.

The Bisping fight is much bigger and holds a big possible gain for him and his legacy.

Kind of a unnecessary question to be honest.
In GSP's mind Bisping is a more winnable fight than Woodley.
BS imo. Bisping is a much tougher fight for him and GSP knows that.

Woodley is an easy match up for him. Unless he has lost ten steps he beats Woodley clearly.

Lower risk/higher reward
Exactly this. I don't think Bisping is an easier fight than Woodley--quite the opposite. But if he loses to Bisping, everyone can say he was fighting someone way bigger out of his weight class, and it won't damage his legacy too much.

Same reason Conor insisted the Diaz rematch be at 170 lbs.

We all suspect GSP thinks Bisping is the easiest champ to beat right now.

But I think GSP could argue for this fight:
1. People always wanted him to move up. When he was champ, he didn't feel he had the time to bulk up. Now he's finally had the time, so he wants to seize the opportunity.
2. Maybe he's tired of the weight cut.
3. We usually don't expect someone to be thrown to the lions right away after a +3 year layoff.
It's better for GSP to fight Bisping first and think about potentially more difficult opponents like Woodley later.

Last edited:
Many believe Bisping is the easier fight but GSP was and probably still is tailor made for Woodley. Bisping has the size/speed/technique and is very hard to keep down. Better kickboxing than Woodley as well. Woodley's strong points are his power and wrestling, two things that GSP has faced his whole career from the same types of fighters. If anything Woodley is more winnable than his past fights because of T-Wood's gas tank. At the pace and work rate GSP sets...Woodley is in for a terrible night unless he finally decides to come forward and switches to southpaw...And magically develops a gas tank suited for a fighter below 200 pounds.

Bisping won't stop...This is the big issue here. GSP has always steamrolled guys or beat them in a "war of attrition" where he wore them down or made them completely useless. Bisping is going to be dangerous all the way through 5 rounds.

And if he manages to beat Bisping, the next guys at 185 are even bigger problems stylistically. Souza/Yoel/Rockhold/Whittaker...It's suicide row for his style and size.

This is why I laugh when people say Woodley is the bigger challenge...The guy is a stronger/more powerful version of Josh Koscheck but with less forward movement and less offensive wrestling. Woodley has heavyweight power...and a heavyweight gas tank to go with it.

GSP said himself he wants the marquee money making matchups

Woodley does not draw money

because he has the opportunity to face the weakest champ ever in the above weightclass, you don't wanna miss such oportunities

Back