Backfists & Overhands

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So it's a bit unorthodox and I wasn't gonna post it as I'm usually shut down around here when I ask unorthodox questions. . .but I saw Roy Nelson do it in a fight I was just watching so I'll go for it anyway. So my reasoning is you can use the fact that you're often off balanced after swinging an overhand by going with it and throwing a backfist, effectively exploiting a fairly compromising position before your enemy can. It can be a spinning backfist or a regular one. Here's a video of the fight I'm talking about, skip to 12:45.

I know Nelson's not the most technical fighter but I hope we can build on this with stuff like proper form, defensive considerations when throwing these, and footwork/positioning ideas.

Last edited:
Overhand to backfist? Sure.

bellator_mma_moment_emanuel_newton_knocks_out_king_mo.gif

Straight to backfist too.

cubrc.jpg

Even faint to backfist.

VCswFqH.gif

Or parry / block to backfist.

R4QTo7R.gif

Side kick to backfist!

Cung-Le-Spinning-Back-Fist-Wanderlei-Silva-UFC-139.gif

Retreat to backfist? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

giphy.gif

And of course we can't have a thread on backfists without the great Shonie Carter! :)

UTv2.gif

A work of art.

PS. Noticed that most of these guys have trained Karate? ;)

Noticed that most of these guys have trained Karate? ;)

And if you use spinning elbows instead of the spinning back-fist, you can say you train MT, which is even cooler...

More seriously, a spinning elbow after a missed high kick in MT, can be very useful, and it's kind'a basic move to learn.

I never trained spinning moves, was close minded to them, until a few years ago when I trained with guys that are good at it. Highly effective technique.

And if you use spinning elbows instead of the spinning back-fist, you can say you train MT, which is even cooler...

More seriously, a spinning elbow after a missed high kick in MT, can be very useful, and it's kind'a basic move to learn.
I could say that backfists have a longer range, thus are superior... but I'm a huge fan of elbows and regret that they are underutilized in Karate due to the competition rules. The elbow is a great tool both for prize fighting and self defense because it's so "durable". It's easy to break a fist but not an elbow.

Unless you have some gruesome stories of broken elbows to share, @ARIZE? :p

I could say that backfists have a longer range, thus are superior...

Doesn't matter if they are superior... What matters is to look cool. And spinning elbows give you extra points in coolness. Spinning back fist looks more like a wild panic reaction to a bad situation, whereas the spinning elbow looks more like a calculate finishing move...

Unless you have some gruesome stories of broken elbows to share, @ARIZE? :p

Not really to tell you the truth. I have the expected bumps on them, and they still bruise like am a newbie, but never had injuries there. My wrists gets fuck up every now and then, my left shoulder is fucked up permanently it seems, am actually recovering from a fucked up sprained angle, my toes are constantly broken, sprained, or fucked up in general... And of course the damage done from my opponents. Ribs fucked up, plexus was fucked up at one point from a piercing knee (must be my worst pain that one), broken nose, black eyes, split lips, chipped tooth, cuts...

Now that I think about it, that may be the reason I cant get any girls..

I never trained spinning moves, was close minded to them, until a few years ago when I trained with guys that are good at it. Highly effective technique.

I learned to appreciate spinning shit at the TKD... Running into one of their back kicks, is no fun at all. I still have nightmares seen a replay of a jumping back kick just missing my head. It came from under, and passed above me just hitting the headgear. If it had landed on my chin, I think I would still be asleep...

Last edited:
I like to hit them with a regular backfist when they slip outside my jab or cross. It doesn't have much power, but it can catch them off guard and give you a chance to step back into positon and follow up with something.

Watched felder/perry last Saturday and I love spinning backfists but the risk of breaking your forearm is always there. Spinning elbow > spinning backfist

Back