Badou Jack: I Want To Fight a Racist, a Scumbag - Maybe Kovalev

Here we go,..Kovalev's lawyer. Did you write Trump's "there were bad people on both side's" speech?

WTF are you talking about. Stevenson is a criminal. Kovalev made a bad joke. Even you should be able to see the difference.

That's a good fight.

Both guys are fragile enough to be in doubt against the other. Both are great on the front foot.

Make it happen.

Ps: Fuck Stevenson

WTF are you talking about. Stevenson is a criminal. Kovalev made a bad joke. Even you should be able to see the difference.

Firstly, Kovalev didn't just make a bad joke, he's a fucking racist, and you're defending him.

Secondly, the fact that Stevenson is a piece of shit has absolutely zero to do with Kovalev being a scumbag. You're simply engaging in whataboutism.

Last edited:
I don't know. Half of Kovalev's game was his intimidation factor. I think the word is out that he's a bitch that doesn't like it to the body. Jack is a good body puncher, if he believes he can win and protects his chin, he can break him down. This game is all mental, and Kovalev has shown some real weakness in the gut and in the head.

He was intimidating because getting hit by him hurt; a lot. So while I think people will approach him with more confidence, it doesn't mean his punches will hurt less. Also, nobody likes it to the body, by your logic, everybody is a bitch. Fine with me, but accept that being punched hard in the stomach is not uniquely his own personal kryptonite. Jack is pretty linear with his feet, and if he covers up high as much as he usually does, Kovalev can straight punch him to the body (some Kovalev is actually pretty good at). Kovalev gets seen as a linear killer, but he fights with his hands down and doesn't get hit a lot. Why? Because his defensive footwork lets him cover a lot of ground. He pops back and then he pops back in. Not a lot of people talk about it, but that's part of the reason he can fence at range and not get hurt a lot. Although the Ward rematch indicated a lack of that, that was a failure on his part and credit to Ward.

The one thing I agree with is Kovalev's state of mind. If he gets a trainer, cooperates with them, and is in the patient, confident head space he used to be in, I don't see how Jack will win.

By the way, Jack only looks like a good body puncher when his opponent's feet let him be a good body puncher. Ward was fluid enough to get inside and confuse and also strong enough to work inside. Jack is not as physically strong as Ward. Ward's physical strength is deceptive. Jack does not have that kind of footwork, or the dynamic movement. Jack is a good fighter, well-rounded and steady, but it would take a obvious decline in Kovalev's mentality for him to lose to Jack. That part I see.

He was intimidating because getting hit by him hurt; a lot. So while I think people will approach him with more confidence, it doesn't mean his punches will hurt less. Also, nobody likes it to the body, by your logic, everybody is a bitch. Fine with me, but accept that being punched hard in the stomach is not uniquely his own personal kryptonite. Jack is pretty linear with his feet, and if he covers up high as much as he usually does, Kovalev can straight punch him to the body (some Kovalev is actually pretty good at). Kovalev gets seen as a linear killer, but he fights with his hands down and doesn't get hit a lot. Why? Because his defensive footwork lets him cover a lot of ground. He pops back and then he pops back in. Not a lot of people talk about it, but that's part of the reason he can fence at range and not get hurt a lot. Although the Ward rematch indicated a lack of that, that was a failure on his part and credit to Ward.

The one thing I agree with is Kovalev's state of mind. If he gets a trainer, cooperates with them, and is in the patient, confident head space he used to be in, I don't see how Jack will win.

By the way, Jack only looks like a good body puncher when his opponent's feet let him be a good body puncher. Ward was fluid enough to get inside and confuse and also strong enough to work inside. Jack is not as physically strong as Ward. Ward's physical strength is deceptive. Jack does not have that kind of footwork, or the dynamic movement. Jack is a good fighter, well-rounded and steady, but it would take a obvious decline in Kovalev's mentality for him to lose to Jack. That part I see.

Nobody likes getting hit to the body, but listen to JDJ's comments on Kovalev's resilience to body punching. He has none, apparently. I think JDJs comments are credible when you consider the evidence of the Ward fights and the rumours that have always been out there (for instance GGG and others dropping him with body shots in sparring).

That aside, i'm not saying Kovalev isn't more talented than Jack, I am saying Jack has a much stronger mentality from the looks of it. Kovalev does hit hard, but its possible his power is a bit overrated. Lou Del Valle is a good trainer and has a great relationship with Badou, if they can devise a plan to control the distance, Badou Jack wins. And thats the flip side of this, Kovalev is not an intelligent fighter, he hasn't shown any ability to adjust mid-fight.

Nobody likes getting hit to the body, but listen to JDJ's comments on Kovalev's resilience to body punching. He has none, apparently. I think JDJs comments are credible when you consider the evidence of the Ward fights and the rumours that have always been out there (for instance GGG and others dropping him with body shots in sparring).

That aside, i'm not saying Kovalev isn't more talented than Jack, I am saying Jack has a much stronger mentality from the looks of it. Kovalev does hit hard, but its possible his power is overrated. Lou Del Valle is a good trainer and has a great relationship with Badou, if they can devise a plan to control the distance, Badou Jack wins. And thats the flip side of this, Kovalev is not an intelligent fighter, he hasn't shown any ability to adjust mid-fight.

JDJ's comments are credible in that he has coached Kovalev for years, but they are, perhaps, a bit invalidated by the recent animosity that has sprung up between the two (plus, in fairness, if GGG hits anyone with a body punch they are gonna have a rough night).

If I had to bet, Jack does have a stronger mentality now. And that's why I'd expect the fight would be closer. Kovalev is going into his next fight with the same coach Beibut Shumenov had against Hopkins. Kovalev, I would have a hard time putting money on unless he wins his next couple of fights until his mentality can show and its of the right quality. He's just not safe money right now.

Kovalev's power is derived from full extension. He stabs with his shots, and at full extension there is not half-truth about his power (even half-extended right put Ward down). Controlling distance against a primed Kovalev is not easy work. You have to be willing to punch in between his punches and do other things, but Kovalev is accurate and skilled enough at distance, that when he is on he negates fighters like Andre Ward. Let's be fair and say that the first one was close and could have gone either way - Kovalev outboxing Ward in spots over twelve rounds (the last six weren't as clear for Kovalev as people think and the last six weren't as clear for Ward as people think) means he had to have made some subtle adjustments, or Ward's boxing acumen has been severely overrated by most people. So I think he makes enough adjustments within his style to still get results - but only if he is on and has the right camp going. Which is why a Jack win now wouldn't surprise me. But that's not a win against the Kovalev that was dubbed the "Krusher" - whether or not that man is still there remains to be seen.

there is plenty of racist black fighters he could pick from, or maybe it is he that is racist and only looks to the whites

Well, this thread is going swimmingly.

I'm down for Jack/Kovalev and Stevenson/Kovalev after that.

I still think Kovalev beat Ward close in their first bout, lost a controversial (IMO) second bout and KOs Jack and/or Stevenson. Does that make me a racist?

I read through the thread twice, and I'm still not sure one way or the other given the "racist" parameters around here and the WR, but figured someone on sherdog would know for sure either way. Thanks in advance.

Well, this thread is going swimmingly.

I'm down for Jack/Kovalev and Stevenson/Kovalev after that.

I still think Kovalev beat Ward close in their first bout, lost a controversial (IMO) second bout and KOs Jack and/or Stevenson. Does that make me a racist?

I read through the thread twice, and I'm still not sure one way or the other given the "racist" parameters around here and the WR, but figured someone on sherdog would know for sure either way. Thanks in advance.

Let's see how Kov looks against Shabranskyy. Jack is in a new weight class and the only Mayweather fighter that I actually like of the two that I know. I don't see Floyd putting Jack in with Kovalev soon unless he looks like crap in his next fight. Stevenson has hardware & is lineal and Kov no longer has anything worth fighting him for other than his name on their record. Stevenson is also 40.

Babdou Duck should be fighting Dmitry Bivol. Duck Jack didn't want none

I don't think it's outlandish to call Kovalev either of those things, but that's not really a worthwhile or interesting conversation.

I still think people are writing off Kovalev far too easily. Yes, he is flawed, but he's extremely good at certain things, and there aren't exactly many Andre Wards out there who can readily exploit his flaws. I've come to be a fan of Jack because of his workman-like style, constant improvement, and the fact that most of his fights are damn good, but I wouldn't be favouring him against Kovalev even if he does certain things (puts a lot of pressure and targets the body well) that have troubled Kovalev. This would be a really good fight that I'd definitely be interested in seeing.

Firstly, Kovalev didn't just make a bad joke, he's a fucking racist, and you're defending him.

Secondly, the fact that Stevenson is a piece of shit has absolutely zero to do with Kovalev being a scumbag. You're simply engaging in whataboutism.

He made a joke you view as racist. That does not prove he's racist, as much as you love witch hunting for racists.

And yes, Badou is looking to punish bad people. Stevenson is much worse than Kovalev, unless you're so sensitive that you find an off color joke worse than pimping underage girls and assault, which Badou apparently does too. That says something about you both.

He made a joke you view as racist. That does not prove he's racist, as much as you love witch hunting for racists.

And yes, Badou is looking to punish bad people. Stevenson is much worse than Kovalev, unless you're so sensitive that you find an off color joke worse than pimping underage girls and assault, which Badou apparently does too. That says something about you both.

lol, you're criticizing thresholds of proof and then you come out with this horseshit. Go sit in the corner.

lol, you're criticizing thresholds of proof and then you come out with this horseshit. Go sit in the corner.

What's horseshit? The fact that one joke does not a racist make? Or the fact that Adonis Stevenson is a worse human being than Kovalev?

Go on.

What's horseshit? The fact that one joke does not a racist make? Or the fact that Adonis Stevenson is a worse human being than Kovalev?

Go on.

Well, you conclusively said you think Jack thinks Kovalev is objectively worse than Stevenson based on... well, essentially nothing. Clearly you see the inconsistency here, right after you started your post with that stuff about people assuming Kovalev is racist, right? I'm not arguing that what Stevenson did wasn't heinous as it obviously was.

Well, you conclusively said you think Jack thinks Kovalev is objectively worse than Stevenson based on... well, essentially nothing. Clearly you see the inconsistency here, right after you started your post with that stuff about people assuming Kovalev is racist, right? I'm not arguing that what Stevenson did wasn't heinous as it obviously was.

Why would he call out Kovalev's bad behavior as a reason to fight him if he didn't want to punish Kovalev for being a bad dude?

Why would he call out Kovalev's bad behavior as a reason to fight him if he didn't want to punish Kovalev for being a bad dude?

I was only introduced to it this summer in the leadup to Mayweather/McGregor, but they actually try and generate interest in events beforehand by saying certain things that could generate interest with the public. It's a weird idea, I know, but I think it might have some legs in prizefighting.

Nope, he made a joke that was objectively racist. If you dont think comparing a black person to a monkey is racist, then you're probably racist too. There i go witchhunting again.

Back