Bag work in boxers beginning classes

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I left my current club after a falling out with the instructor. Beginners had no bag work. Yet when I got moved up to continuation classes, you were expected to master bag work! As if you were left with the options as a beginners of A) learning it yourself and B) having one at home.

Anyway, I'm now in talks with a new club that promises to teach bag work for beginners, but what kind of a shitty club did I end up in?

Is this a normal experience in a boxing gym? All we did was punch each others gloves, which is meaningless if we don't know what we are doing.

Last edited:
I left my current club after a falling out with the instructor. Beginners had no bag work. Yet when I got moved up to continuation classes, you were expected to master bag work! As if you were left with the options as a beginners of A) learning it yourself and B) having one at home.

Anyway, I'm now in talks with a new club that promises to teach bag work for beginners, but what kind of a shitty club did I end up in?

Is this a normal experience in a boxing gym? All we did was punch each others gloves, which is meaningless if we don't know what we are doing.

I bite even if that might be a dumb idea. "punch each others gloves" are drills and much more valuable than pure bagwork because they teach distance, timing and teamwork. Sounds like a good gym. You work on the bag what you learned during sessions. If you are not sure how to approach bag work ASK your coach or look for one of a million good youtube videos. Its not rocket science.

I still dont have a regular boxing coach but there are a thousand things you can work on alone and if you are clueless pay for a private with a boxing coach like I did. Then all your questions are answered and solutions shown.

Its all about the ability to shut up and take responsibility for your advancement. If something doesnt work make it work.

I bite even if that might be a dumb idea. "punch each others gloves" are drills and much more valuable than pure bagwork because they teach distance, timing and teamwork. Sounds like a good gym. You work on the bag what you learned during sessions. If you are not sure how to approach bag work ASK your coach or look for one of a million good youtube videos. Its not rocket science.

I still dont have a regular boxing coach but there are a thousand things you can work on alone and if you are clueless pay for a private with a boxing coach like I did. Then all your questions are answered and solutions shown.

Its all about the ability to shut up and take responsibility for your advancement. If something doesnt work make it work.

Not sure how to approach bag work? Did you not read what I just wrote? There was no bag work

Your finger pointing attitude won't get you very far in life, let alone in boxing.

Your finger pointing attitude won't get you very far in life, let alone in boxing.

What does that have to do with anything? You think my description of the curriculum sounds good? Two ignorant guys taking turns punching each others gloves? It's just a nasty circle of laymans trying to put one foot front of the other, with no training in power delivery and stamina. Hitting a heavy bag is incredibly challenging and Excellent conditioning.

Buy a bag a go watch some YouTube, problem solved ma man!

What does that have to do with anything? You think my description of the curriculum sounds good? Two ignorant guys taking turns punching each others gloves? It's just a nasty circle of laymans trying to put one foot front of the other, with no training in power delivery and stamina. Hitting a heavy bag is incredibly challenging and Excellent conditioning.

You're a little bitch. Go try something else where the coach will hold your hand and tell you how brilliant you are

Seems like its not just about the bag. Ive trained in a gym with no bag but the drills were very useful. Yes hitting bag could be challenging but having to drill with someone and actually learn how to throw shit on a person and learn distance is helluva better

Seems like its not just about the bag. Ive trained in a gym with no bag but the drills were very useful. Yes hitting bag could be challenging but having to drill with someone and actually learn how to throw shit on a person and learn distance is helluva better

Barely sparred. Everything about it sucked.

Back