Bag work in boxers beginning classes

although the two gyms I've trained at recently incorporated bag work into their beginner boxing and standup classes (one franchise, one independent), there was and is a general consensus that the individual has to put the time in on the bag in their own time, also.

Bag drills are mostly for stamina and power and less about technique and accuracy, so I imagine that for people who go to a boxing gym to learn boxing technique, they might get pissed after a while if all they're doing is punching the bag for 10 rounds and not being taught techniques.

If you want to go to classes that focus on the cardio and endurance of bag work; join a chain/franchise that offers that kind of class.

although the two gyms I've trained at recently incorporated bag work into their beginner boxing and standup classes (one franchise, one independent), there was and is a general consensus that the individual has to put the time in on the bag in their own time, also.

Bag drills are mostly for stamina and power and less about technique and accuracy, so I imagine that for people who go to a boxing gym to learn boxing technique, they might get pissed after a while if all they're doing is punching the bag for 10 rounds and not being taught techniques.

If you want to go to classes that focus on the cardio and endurance of bag work; join a chain/franchise that offers that kind of class.

Beginners don't hold up their gloves properly. That training is a waste of time and fucks up whatever you do. Yet 50% per class was spent on it.

Beginners don't hold up their gloves properly. That training is a waste of time and fucks up whatever you do. Yet 50% per class was spent on it.

50% of the class was spent on learning or to hold hands up properly? Doesn’t sound like a waste.

Clearly I don’t understand why you’re complaining, so now I’m just gonna join the posters who think you’re trolling.

Tons of misinformation in this thread. Particularly the posters downplaying the importance of bag work. Mitts/glove punching should be supplemental to the work you're putting on the bags, not the other way around. Technique, timing, accuracy, footwork, head movement should all be primarily developed on the heavy bag, wrecking ball bag, double end bag, speed bag, slip bag.

You need to throw hundreds of thousands of punches to develop good technique. If you are relying on a mitt holder for the majority of your repetitions then you are only getting a fraction of the repetitions you would get if you were putting in adequate rounds on the various bags.

If your beginners class has no bag work, or minimal bag work, or uninstructed bag work, I would question that gyms approach to training.

50% of the class was spent on learning or to hold hands up properly? Doesn’t sound like a waste.

Clearly I don’t understand why you’re complaining, so now I’m just gonna join the posters who think you’re trolling.

It wasn't spent on learning to hold the gloves, it was spent on punching each others gloves, despite the fact nobody was competent to either punch or hold.

Tons of misinformation in this thread. Particularly the posters downplaying the importance of bag work. Mitts/glove punching should be supplemental to the work you're putting on the bags, not the other way around. Technique, timing, accuracy, footwork, head movement should all be primarily developed on the heavy bag, wrecking ball bag, double end bag, speed bag, slip bag.

You need to throw hundreds of thousands of punches to develop good technique. If you are relying on a mitt holder for the majority of your repetitions then you are only getting a fraction of the repetitions you would get if you were putting in adequate rounds on the various bags.

If your beginners class has no bag work, or minimal bag work, or uninstructed bag work, I would question that gyms approach to training.

I left the place. I wonder how common it is though.

It wasn't even pads or mitts either, just the inside of each others gloves.

I left the place. I wonder how common it is though.
I'm not an authority on striking, my martial arts experience is a fairly even mix of wrestling, bjj, boxing, with a little MT and TKD sprinkled on top. Less bagwork and more mittwork appear to be fairly common in MT/Kickboxing schools in my area, I'm not sure of the ratio in a legitimate MT school in Thailand, however I have enough knowledge in boxing to question the amount of mitt work being utilized in these "MT schools."

As far as boxing is concerned I've never been to a boxing gym that didn't have beginners doing bag work so that is definitely questionable to me.

I bite even if that might be a dumb idea. "punch each others gloves" are drills and much more valuable than pure bagwork because they teach distance, timing and teamwork. Sounds like a good gym. You work on the bag what you learned during sessions. If you are not sure how to approach bag work ASK your coach or look for one of a million good youtube videos. Its not rocket science.

I still dont have a regular boxing coach but there are a thousand things you can work on alone and if you are clueless pay for a private with a boxing coach like I did. Then all your questions are answered and solutions shown.

Its all about the ability to shut up and take responsibility for your advancement. If something doesnt work make it work.
i get what your saying. but i believe drills are no substitute for hitting a bag. punching bags at full force is the only way to learn how to generate maximum force on a punch. there is also no substitute for having your own punching bag, mine is @William Huggins
had to laugh, at the know it alls having a go. you are dead right to shop around if you are getting shit training. lots of coaches aren't that good. my brothers a qualified coach and i'm a shit load better boxer than he is. there is a lot of really shit youtube clips so that isn't really the answer either.

It wasn't spent on learning to hold the gloves, it was spent on punching each others gloves, despite the fact nobody was competent to either punch or hold.
a lot of times gyms use mitts or drills to get around a lack of space and punching bags.

i get what your saying. but i believe drills are no substitute for hitting a bag. punching bags at full force is the only way to learn how to generate maximum force on a punch. there is also no substitute for having your own punching bag, mine is @William Huggins

had to laugh, at the know it alls having a go. you are dead right to shop around if you are getting shit training. lots of coaches aren't that good. my brothers a qualified coach and i'm a shit load better boxer than he is. the is a lot of really shit youtube clips so that isn't really the answer either.

Wet dreams of a simple mind...........shame your MT is not up to scratch..............dop salop salai, ting tong lady boy.......

Wet dreams of a simple mind...........shame your MT is not up to scratch..............dop salop salai, ting tong lady boy.......
bro if you train in america, you are the one who's thai isn't up to scratch. i couldn't care less about your month in thailand chasing transexuals. we he legit thai clubs in Aus. ever heard of wayne parr? you should post some of those fight clips. o' wait.

bro if you train in america, you are the one who thai isn't up to scratch. i couldn't care less about your month in thailand chasing transexuals. we he legit thai clubs in Aus. ever heard of wayne parr? you should post some of those fight clips. o' wait.

Oh......some one from the criminal colonies.......you really need to stay out of the sun......it has fried your brain

bro if you train in america, you are the one who's thai isn't up to scratch. i couldn't care less about your month in thailand chasing transexuals. we he legit thai clubs in Aus. ever heard of wayne parr? you should post some of those fight clips. o' wait.

I don't care if you train out of your grannies attic space or a top gym in BK......

Back