Bagwork and play"sparring"

Cool. Will watch later. But take off your socks. Or out on some shoes
Had to take my shoes off. They are worn down at the soles and I kept slipping all over the floor with them. A good pair of shoes with grip would make it a lot easier to move around, but it's alright.

Yeah I was thinking about that after what j123 said. Using the lead overhand slipping forward, or even trying to step with the right hand to southpaw and throw the left as an overhand from that stance would probably help me close the distance and come over the top quickly. I'll try to practice both.
Was a reference to my fight I sent you :p

Oh I know exactly what you mean. It's a boxing thing yes. I'm also inspired by the old timers and the ones that still do that. It's a pros and cons thing. The reason why I like doing it is because it's a good defensive position. My head is harder to reach as it's further away, and it's easier for me to see shots coming and react. Also it's harder for anyone to land body hooks as well. What I really like about it though is that it's easy to manipulate distance while still being in range to strike. You appear much further away than you really are, and as soon as you shift your weight forward you can hit them back. Or with your head a little forward, you can pull back slightly and not get hit.

I was using it too much before, kinda like Machida you posted who ALWAYS stays with his weight back (the boxers don't do that), but mixing it up with having your weight forward at times, going off the centerline and crouching more I feel makes it more adaptable. Never had any problems with being sweeped or pushed around in KB/MT sparring, usually I'm the one who push people around, but then again I haven't sparred any high level MT fighter with good sweeps. I'd be put on my ass for sure either way.

In my mind a good stance is one that a) suits the person and fits their strengths. Not everyone should have the exact same stance, and b) one that is fluid and can adapt to the ruleset, and opponent. Like if I was fighting a good wrestler I'd lower my center of gravity more, exactly like Rory is doing in the picture with Woodley. There's downsides to that too like them faking the shot and finding your face with the uppercut or knee more easily, but there will always be pros and cons.

Thanks for the reply, I think it comes down to styles a little bit, but I will get what you're saying. At some point soon I'd like to start practicing MT for real and then I might have to change things up. Then I'd really have to pick your brain about how to set everything up!

EDIT: Nice article btw!

yeah i notice that it give you a very good side to side evasive movement, like the pivot point of your body is exactly at the hips. how about bobbing and weaving, do you drill them? i also notice you have good footwork, quick, evasive, angles, etc. its a wide stance but I guess I would call it an MMA stance as I just caught myself so I should mention....keep in mind, im looking at it with a muay thai mindset, so when I look at something, even if im not trying to, im still subconsciously comparing it to muay thai. overall everything is good man, clean technique all around, would be cool to see you in action in some harder sparring/fight videos if you have them.

aldo-horz.jpg

yeah i notice that it give you a very good side to side evasive movement, like the pivot point of your body is exactly at the hips. how about bobbing and weaving, do you drill them? i also notice you have good footwork, quick, evasive, angles, etc. its a wide stance but I guess I would call it an MMA stance as I just caught myself so I should mention....keep in mind, im looking at it with a muay thai mindset, so when I look at something, even if im not trying to, im still subconsciously comparing it to muay thai. overall everything is good man, clean technique all around, would be cool to see you in action in some harder sparring/fight videos if you have them.

aldo-horz.jpg
Thank you for the kind words and I appreciate the feedback very much. Don't hold back if there's anything you want to critique. Constructive criticism and exchanging ideas is always a good thing!

I do practice bobbing and weaving, but not as much as I should probably. Don't really have any hard sparring footage because most of the time the pros didn't like getting recorded at my old gym and the rest I just didn't get around to setting anything up. Only have a few lighter sparring videos but they're older. I also have my first boxing fight which is from about 5 years ago and it's terrible so no reason to re-post it haha. Not very indicative of where I am now. But if I do start sparring again and headaches don't come back, then I'll record something down the line for sure!

Thanks again for the feedback.

I once learned a very good drill from Don "The Dragon" Wilson, a kickboxing champion back in the 80ties. During his seminars he tought what he called 'touch sparring'. It is sparring with light to no contact conducted in slow motion. It can be done without gear. Basic concept is to anticipate and embrace the full movement of a technique and defence. You also become aware of mistakes while in the middle of a move. Just an idea for you poor guys without gloves and stuff.

I once learned a very good drill from Don "The Dragon" Wilson, a kickboxing champion back in the 80ties. During his seminars he tought what he called 'touch sparring'. It is sparring with light to no contact conducted in slow motion. It can be done without gear. Basic concept is to anticipate and embrace the full movement of a technique and defence. You also become aware of mistakes while in the middle of a move. Just an idea for you poor guys without gloves and stuff.
Flow sparring is very beneficial. Esp. even more for newer folks who don't have the confidence and are trigger happy. It helps alot for getting comfortable throwing combos and stuff

Biggest thing that jumped out to me was there were times that you bounce up and down on both feet.

When your mass is traveling upwards you cannot react, you are a target, ungrounded. You can't attack, defend or move in that moment.

I would totally kill that habit.

Also I've read that headgear doesn't help with brain injury, it actually makes it worse.

And I thought your calves would be bigger.

Also I've read that headgear doesn't help with brain injury, it actually makes it worse.
Gives a false sense of security so some people purposely take hits. Multiply that by the number of rounds by days, years,etc and it gets pretty high. Also causes minor whiplash as well. Head gets snapped back, the added weight of the headgear pulls it back more and you return to normal. Repeat that by the number of rounds, days, years this happens

Last edited:
Gives a false sense of security so some people purposely take hits. Multiply that by the number of rounds by days, yeras,etc and it gets pretty high. Also causes minor whiplash as well. Head gets snapped back, the added weight of the headgear pulls it back more and you return to normal. Repeat that by the number of rounds, days, years this happens

Also read a book "fight like a physicist" and it said that specifically the fact it acts almost as a leaver for your chin causes it to create more axon shearing then would happen woth2 the gear.

Personally been to gyms where iv had to do both and i prefer no headgear100%. Id rather have a higher chance to than increased brain damage. As a counterfighter it helps with tht as well

Also read a book "fight like a physicist" and it said that specifically the fact it acts almost as a leaver for your chin causes it to create more axon shearing then would happen woth2 the gear.

Personally been to gyms where iv had to do both and i prefer no headgear100%. Id rather have a higher chance to than increased brain damage. As a counterfighter it helps with tht as well
I hate headgear man, not only the trauma it doesn't help with, but it also affects my vision and breathing. Last fight I did, the headgear was really tight, and we all have to tighten it even more in case it falls off in clinching and takes time away from the round. Felt like I was getting RNC'd the entire time.

I hate headgear man, not only the trauma it doesn't help with, but it also affects my vision and breathing. Last fight I did, the headgear was really tight, and we all have to tighten it even more in case it falls off in clinching and takes time away from the round. Felt like I was getting RNC'd the entire time.

I hear ya man. It got to the point i wear an old openface TKD headgear with an elastic chin syrap that i put slits into to make longer. People "touch" my chin or graze my head and it turns the headgear. I fix it and back i go.

In my head all those times i move enough for the punch to just hit the headgear i would have gotten my head shaken up when in reality it would have missed or grazed off with the sweat.

No headgear petition:
SilverTongue
j123
<{JustBleed}>

Only time someone should be wearing headgear in my opinion, is when they are trying to avoid a cut during sparring, leading up to a fight. I do believe some people actually hit each other harder to the head whilst wearing it.

I hear ya man. It got to the point i wear an old openface TKD headgear with an elastic chin syrap that i put slits into to make longer. People "touch" my chin or graze my head and it turns the headgear. I fix it and back i go.

In my head all those times i move enough for the punch to just hit the headgear i would have gotten my head shaken up when in reality it would have missed or grazed off with the sweat.

No headgear petition:
SilverTongue
j123
<{JustBleed}>
The more open the headgear the better. I can't imagine how ridiculous it would be on your vision and breathing with the bitch bar headgear

Back