Bagwork critique, and more (+padwork and light sparring)

Hey Frode, in which way?

Both punches are good. I like the cross better because it got no tell. Its very fast and smooth.

The jab got a little tell right before you throw it.

I like your basics a lot. Guards up, jab and cross and speed are good. Stance is a bit tall, but it not something bad, having in mind you are tall too. I have been told to stay tall from one coach, to lower down from another, so it seems a bit coach preferential.

However the last video shows what exactly is wrong. It is footwork, slips and balance issues mainly. When you need to stand tall and fight - you look very good, but when you need to do slips or use your body in a way in which you are not tall you start looking clumsy. I am not sure on what to advice. But try applying more of a Klichko text book fighting style, rather than head movement, slips and all that fancy stuff. Perhaps go for more distance managing, while being protected with the good guard you have and do long straight punching more?
Thanks.

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. I could try to just block instead of slipping and rolling and all that, and use distance and grabbing/guarding instead of trying to go off center. I might at some point, but what I want to do is just keep practicing. It's not natural to me at all, but I want to be able to do it if needed. Also it's fun. As long as it's getting better I'll stick to it, for now.

Both punches are good. I like the cross better because it got no tell. Its very fast and smooth.

The jab got a little tell right before you throw it.
Yeah good observation. I do have tells for my jab. We talked about that as well and practiced that later on but the camera was off. Seems like my right hand is a lot harder to read yeah. That's probably why I like leading with it.

I'll keep working!

Also, Sano. Something weird. Your physique looks strong, however you lack visible muscles. Muscle up, man. Get that athletic body.

I have a friend, who is a kickoxer, who won silver in the boxing nationals. He had no preparation, but the guy is super strong and just beat the crap out of everybody. He got disqualified in the final for some illegal knock out which was bullshit. My point is your upper body looks explosive and looks like a lot of fast twitch fiber is there, but the lower body really looks bad.

Also, Sano. Something weird. Your physique looks strong, however you lack visible muscles. Muscle up, man. Get that athletic body.

I have a friend, who is a kickoxer, who won silver in the boxing nationals. He had no preparation, but the guy is super strong and just beat the crap out of everybody. He got disqualified in the final for some illegal knock out which was bullshit. My point is your upper body looks explosive and looks like a lot of fast twitch fiber is there, but the lower body really looks bad.
Lol, that's pretty funny.

I mean, I squat around 145kg and I DL 180kg without doing it consistently. I can also do pistol squats, I have a training log in the S&C section. It's not amazing or anything, but my lower body is not weak at all. My calves are just slender, it's the way I'm build. I'm always working on S&C stuff though and building. I really like ahtletics so I'm trying to incorperate different things. My biggest problem is probably high center of gravity + I have extremely poor hip mobility.

Boxing nationals amateur can be pretty crappy depending on which country you are from and so on. Usually it's a tourney of like 2-3 fights and with 2-1 you can get like a silver medal in your weight class.

Lol, that's pretty funny.

I mean, I squat around 145kg and I DL 180kg without doing it consistently. I can also do pistol squats, I have a training log in the S&C section. It's not amazing or anything, but my lower body is not weak at all. My calves are just slender, it's the way I'm build. I'm always working on S&C stuff though and building. I really like ahtletics so I'm trying to incorperate different things. My biggest problem is probably high center of gravity + I have extremely poor hip mobility.

Boxing nationals amateur can be pretty crappy depending on which country you are from and so on. Usually it's a tourney of like 2-3 fights and with 2-1 you can get like a silver medal in your weight class.
F13 would have a field day with you for those numbers

Want me to pop off my shirt and show those beach muscles or what?
tumblr_mwsk48Iypa1r8sc3ro1_250.gif

F13 would have a field day with you for those numbers

Lol I know they would. Trust me, I spend as much time there as I do here, and have been having debates with those guys for years. Seems like things are a bit more evened out now and not this total PL craze for anyone who wants to be athletic and/or a fighter. If I dedicated my time away from cardio and martial arts I have no doubt I could hit higher numbers, but I don't really care. That's for when I'm too old do sports well.

Hmm your numbers are good. I guess then it is your build. The nationals he had 5 consecutive KOs in 3 days :) His technique is really good, but he just murdered everybody out there with pure strenght. Pushing with the left and murdering with the right.

Lol I know they would. Trust me, I spend as much time there as I do here, and have been having debates with those guys for years. Seems like things are a bit more evened out now and not this total PL craze for anyone who wants to be athletic and/or a fighter. If I dedicated my time away from cardio and martial arts I have no doubt I could hit higher numbers, but I don't really care. That's for when I'm too old do sports well.
F13:
If you don't squat 400, dead 500, bench 300, and don't spend 80% of the time lifting, then your program is crap, and would never make it as a MMA fighter. ARAMP sets as cardio > running / cond

Height is not an issue, lifts only matter. Weight shift + whip-motions fror punches is bs

lol

Hmm your numbers are good. I guess then it is your build. The nationals he had 5 consecutive KOs in 3 days :) His technique is really good, but he just murdered everybody out there with pure strenght. Pushing with the left and murdering with the right.
Athleticism and power definitely helps, no question about that.

F13:
If you don't squat 400, dead 500, bench 300, and don't spend 80% of the time lifting, then your program is crap, and would never make it as a MMA fighter. ARAMP sets as cardio > running / cond

Height is not an issue, lifts only matter. Weight shift + whip-motions fror punches is bs

lol
Yeah exactly, they don't know what they are talking about half of them, and the other half are biased towards wrestling (in which max strength matters more but it's still no substitute for technique). There are some good posters there too though and it has gotten a lot better the last year or so.

I'm all for a solid S&C, but there is only so much time you can devote to your bench and squat PR. There is so much more to gain from S&C than that as well and ultimately injury prevention is primero uno.

Athleticism and power definitely helps, no question about that.

Yeah exactly, they don't know what they are talking about half of them, and the other half are biased towards wrestling (in which max strength matters more but it's still no substitute for technique). There are some good posters there too though and it has gotten a lot better the last year or so.
I remember post with a guy who said nothing but strength mattered for striking, yes I do know it's important, but forging alot for gainz is a bad mindset. Dude straight up said it was okay to be a middleweight at 5'6, lol. And this is coming from a guy who started lifting and bodybuilding before dabbling into combat sports.

Even still in grappling, strength matters, but its not the be all end all. One of our top guys is a wrestler-grappler and he's not a strong guy by PL standards. Best lifts are something like 165 bench, 255 squat @ 140

I remember post with a guy who said nothing but strength mattered for striking, yes I do know it's important, but forging alot for gainz is a bad mindset. Dude straight up said it was okay to be a middleweight at 5'6, lol. And this is coming from a guy who started lifting and bodybuilding before dabbling into combat sports.

Even still in grappling, strength matters, but its not the be all end all. One of our top guys is a wrestler-grappler and he's not a strong guy by PL standards. Best lifts are something like 165 bench, 255 squat @ 140
Yeah there are so many factors that goes into it. I like doing PL'ing. I enjoy it, and it does have some carryover, but it's not as important as some make it out to be, or at least it has diminishing returns. Another thing to consider is that if you want to lift big, you have to devote a lot of time as we talked about. These lifts are very specific in nature and you are as much practicing the lift and technique, as you are improving strength you can use in your sport.

Levers and muscle co-ordination is why one person being more suited for lifting doesn't necessarily mean that person will have the physical advantage in a grappling match, let a lone a striking match.

Anyway, I'd rather spend time doing sprint drills, footworks drills, co-ordination drills, single leg strength work, jumping and then gradually work on my eccentric tissue strength through compounds and isolated strength work as a part of a prehab strategy, instead of just going balls to the wall PLing. I feel like it rounds out S&C more for someone who wants to be an athlete.

I probably should just work on the sport more, I've spend too much time on strength training already, but again, I like it.

Yeah there are so many factors that goes into it. I like doing PL'ing. I enjoy it, and it does have some carryover, but it's not as important as some make it out to be, or at least it has diminishing returns. Another thing to consider is that if you want to lift big, you have to devote a lot of time as we talked about. These lifts are very specific in nature and you are as much practicing the lift and technique, as you are improving strength you can use in your sport.

Levers and muscle co-ordination is why one person being more suited for lifting doesn't necessarily mean that person will have the physical advantage in a grappling match, let a lone a striking match.

Anyway, I'd rather spend time doing sprint drills, footworks drills, co-ordination drills, single leg strength work, jumping and then gradually work on my eccentric tissue strength through compounds and isolated strength work as a part of a prehab strategy, instead of just going balls to the wall PLing. I feel like it rounds out S&C more for someone who wants to be an athlete.

I probably should just work on the sport more, I've spend too much time on strength training already, but again, I like it.
I do get their point that as a new strength athlete you could work on strength work, but once you have so much on your plate you can't spread your time too much.

The fight game is too diverse imo, its not as black and white as grappling and striking, each discipline gets into micro management as well. Clinch work, fence work, ground (BJJ), top game, boxing, MT, etc.

Sano for the love of God rip your rear shoulder back as you punch omg

Its good to see you using footwork on the bag, are you slide stepping? Pushing with the left foot to move the right foot along the ground and vice versa? It looks like mini hopping

Light sparring with a classmate, just working on using hips and getting better overall. Having fun with it. Shouldn't really be sparring right now, but it's very light and was just a few rounds. He's very green, I'm basicly teaching him a few things for fun, doing drills and such. He does have a lot of reach and is mostly just able to throw straight punches, so it's a good opportunity to work on my slipping. I'm obviously holding back because he leaves his chin there, but it's honestly still a lot of work for me to try to close the distance and work with technique instead of just blasting. As poor as am I with my hips, reach is usually the thing that keeps me ahead. I also mostly move in straight lines so again it's a challenge which is good.

1st round

2nd with a little more intensity

Sano for the love of God rip your rear shoulder back as you punch omg

Its good to see you using footwork on the bag, are you slide stepping? Pushing with the left foot to move the right foot along the ground and vice versa? It looks like mini hopping
You mean the opposing shoulder back in order to create a more powerful upper body turn when you punch?

Yeah sometimes it's mini hopping, trying a few different things. Need a lot of work on my footwork and taking angles in general.

Last edited:
Light sparring with a classmate, just working on using hips and getting better overall. Shouldn't really be sparring right now, but it's very light and was just a few rounds. He's very green, I'm basicly teaching him a few things for fun, doing drills and such. He does have a lot of reach and is mostly just able to throw straight punches, so it's a good opportunity to work on my slipping. I'm obviously holding back because he leaves his chin there, but it's honestly still a lot of work for me to try to close the distance and work with technique instead of just blasting. As poor as am I with my hips, reach is usually the thing that keeps me ahead. I also mostly move in straight lines to again it's a challenge which is good.

1st round

2nd

You mean the opposing shoulder back in order to create a more powerful upper body turn when you punch?

Yeah sometimes it's mini hopping, trying a few different things. Need a lot of work on my footwork and taking angles in general.

Yes more power, Im not trying to be a dick but I think ud get hurt badly if you think those punches will deter someone from walking right through you. Your not very powerful at all and its probably not genetic is technique.

Should be gliding footwork, no curved steps, otherwise it looks weird and off and since its not what the pros do its probably a bad idea.

I hope that doesn't offend but I think honest feedback is much more beneficial than ass kissing I think im being a nicer person via being honest/mean

Yes more power, Im not trying to be a dick but I think ud get hurt badly if you think those punches will deter someone from walking right through you. Your not very powerful at all and its probably not genetic is technique.

Should be gliding footwork, no curved steps, otherwise it looks weird and off and since its not what the pros do its probably a bad idea.

I hope that doesn't offend but I think honest feedback is much more beneficial than ass kissing I think im being a nicer person via being honest/mean
I see your point, but I'm not really trying to punch with power in these vids. It's more about working. I have above average speed and average power, but it's a lot easier to fall back on that instead of just trying to get better. I'm not really worried about it.

I see your point, but I'm not really trying to punch with power in these vids. It's more about working. I have above average speed and average power, but it's a lot easier to fall back on that instead of just trying to get better. I'm not really worried about it.

ok thats good, yes speed is good

ok thats good, yes speed is good
I get your point though, I have slightly made it a bad habit not to throw especially my straight right with power because I don't want to hurt people with it. I do tend to use it a little as a throwaway punch, which I want to change. My left hook to the body when someone shells up is probably my hardest punch.

I'm not offended at all btw, whatever is on your mind. I need a lot of work, but that's the fun part.

Back