Bagwork video again

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok so today I weight lifted and did an explosive exercise I think is called axe swing. So I shadowbox for 3 mins non stop, I went hard with it though. And i did 3 rounds on the bag and here's my 4th round:

I was trying to imagine an opponent fighting me in the ring, I know it was a little sloppy on the head movement, I tried to incorporate some movement and a technical jab moving around my opponent, and tried to visualize him throwing punches and me countering(whether it's slipping or dipping, or just covering up and firing back), so I tried to visualize an opponent as much as possible but I think I need some inspiration in my head so I'm going to have to watch a few boxing matches and try to visualize what they're doing and just visualize the opponent attacking me.

Again advisors and critiques are welcomed, just don't leave out details of what i did wrong, @Reyesnuthugr I tried to follow what you said as much as possible hopefully I did it right, and @shincheckin I tried to use a little explosive punches too as you said, even though you said that about the shadowboxing i tried to do it on the bag too.

Edit: I also feel like it was sloppy with some of the punches but again critique of you want constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Ok so today I weight lifted and did an explosive exercise I think is called axe swing. So I shadowbox for 3 mins non stop, I went hard with it though. And i did 3 rounds on the bag and here's my 4th round:

I was trying to imagine an opponent fighting me in the ring, I know it was a little sloppy on the head movement, I tried to incorporate some movement and a technical jab moving around my opponent, and tried to visualize him throwing punches and me countering(whether it's slipping or dipping, or just covering up and firing back), so I tried to visualize an opponent as much as possible but I think I need some inspiration in my head so I'm going to have to watch a few boxing matches and try to visualize what they're doing and just visualize the opponent attacking me.

Again advisors and critiques are welcomed, just don't leave out details of what i did wrong, @Reyesnuthugr I tried to follow what you said as much as possible hopefully I did it right, and @shincheckin I tried to use a little explosive punches too as you said, even though you said that about the shadowboxing i tried to do it on the bag too.

Improved in a lot of ways. Better variety, that's great.

A lot more fluid, nice

I see you standing too forward sometimes, a tendency to lean way forward on your front foot puts your face too close to the opponent's glove, and at a time where you're on your front foot like that leaning in too far if he hits you with a hook or straight you are going to get hit HARD and get knocked down. Non-beginners will see this, even some beginners will.

If you put more weight on the back foot (it takes leg strength and feels less natural at first) will give you better defense and a much better right hand. When you are over your lead/left foot, make sure not to lean past it or anything approaching that. It takes a little more leg strength but it keeps you more controlled and out of the enemy's firing range for easy shots.

Also don't forget to sit down/sink down at the end of your punches by an inch or so. I'm not sure I saw that in this vid. It multiplies your leverage and impacts the other guy much harder

Improved in a lot of ways. Better variety, that's great.

A lot more fluid, nice

I see you standing too forward sometimes, a tendency to lean way forward on your front foot puts your face too close to the opponent's glove, and at a time where you're on your front foot like that leaning in too far if he hits you with a hook or straight you are going to get hit HARD and get knocked down. Non-beginners will see this, even some beginners will.

If you put more weight on the back foot (it takes leg strength and feels less natural at first) will give you better defense and a much better right hand. When you are over your lead/left foot, make sure not to lean past it or anything approaching that. It takes a little more leg strength but it keeps you more controlled and out of the enemy's firing range for easy shots.

Also don't forget to sit down/sink down at the end of your punches by an inch or so. I'm not sure I saw that in this vid. It multiplies your leverage and impacts the other guy much harder

Yeah I believe I did sit down on like 1 of my punches, and I thought it was a boxing thing to keep your weight on your front foot. Is either way good? Because I was use to keeping the weight on my back foot when I was training muay thai.

Edit: nope I did not sit down on one of my punches I should make sure to do that next time.

Last edited:
Oh and I tried my best to include my feet in their but i just couldn't I'll try to get a tripod or something, I'm also looking at one of the other threads a more recent but older thread that analyzes Cuban boxing, but i did not incorporate that into this bagwork video for obvious reasons.

Yeah I believe I did sit down on like 1 of my punches, and I thought it was a boxing thing to keep your weight on your front foot. Is either way good? Because I was use to keeping the weight on my back foot when I was training muay thai.

Edit: nope I did not sit down on one of my punches I should make sure to do that next time.

Being weighted primarily on the front foot not a strict boxing thing, it's done by aggressive brawlers who don't mind getting punched in the face and jaw a lot because they just out-tough the other guy. It's basically lower-level boxing style that usually loses to the slicker types (every single time so far I've watched it on nbc, fox or espn, the front foot square guy loses against the back foot bladed guy). It also has less range but many brawlers don't know any other way to do it.

The classical type is on the back foot, much safer with your head not as in range and not centered, much easier to move and react quickly and strongly. It also is longer range and better leverage for most punches (except the hook, but that's easy to modify- just get on the front foot after the right hand punch and hook then return to rear foot as you are supposed to do (correct technique) during a hook).

Being pre-weighted on the front foot just lets you throw the hook first, that's basically the only advantage, and it comes with a giant bag of terrible disadvantages. Oscar De La Hoya still was able to do it but he was amazingly powerful and had scary reflexes

Last edited:
It's not a strict boxing thing, it's for aggressive brawlers who don't mind getting punched in the face and jaw a lot. It's basically lower-level boxing style that usually loses to the slicker types (every time so far I've watched it on nbc, fox or espn, the front foot square guy loses against the back foot bladed guy). It also has less range but many brawlers don't know any other way to do it.

The classical type is on the back foot, much safer with your head not as in range and not centered, much easier to move and react quickly and strongly. It also is longer range and better leverage for most punches

Alright thanks man, I'll try to incorporate it into my training. Can you put up a pic or video as an example?

Alright thanks man, I'll try to incorporate it into my training. Can you put up a pic or video as an example?

I'll do better than that. Here's a video (by a close Associate trainer of Sinister's) that hasn't been posted recently but it should be posted every few months. This video is precious and super helpful in getting down proper boxing theory and mechanics. You need to watch it through several times and take notes to get the most out of it

Charley Burley is the smaller, lighter skinned guy (I guess he was half-Black/half-Irish like this forum's own YCM) with shorter hair

I'll do better than that. Here's a video (by a close Associate trainer of Sinister's) that hasn't been posted recently but it should be posted every few months. This video is precious and super helpful in getting down proper boxing theory and mechanics. You need to watch it through several times and take notes to get the most out of it

Charley Burley is the smaller, lighter skinned guy (I guess he was half-Black/half-Irish like this forum's own YCM) with shorter hair

Alright thanks man.

If anyone has any other advice or anything the critique please share it. Unless their might not be anything to critique on, but I feel like their's somethings the fighters on this forum can add in here.

IMO you are too close to the target
Come in with combinations don't be so stationary
Don't push with the jab. Jab must be very quick BAHH BAHH

IMO you are too close to the target
Come in with combinations don't be so stationary
Don't push with the jab. Jab must be very quick BAHH BAHH

It's habit lol, but wasn't I coming in with combinations? I understand the jab part though I thought I was doing a penetrating jab though.

It's habit lol, but wasn't I coming in with combinations? I understand the jab part though I thought I was doing a penetrating jab though.

imagine this heavy bag being your opponent, you literally stand in the punching range all the time. you are lucky that the bag don't hit back. anyway footwork footwork.

i want to see in and out movement like here
giphy.gif

imagine this heavy bag being your opponent, you literally stand in the punching range all the time. you are lucky that the bag don't hit back. anyway footwork footwork.

i want to see in and out movement like here
giphy.gif

Alright thanks for the feedback, I will work on it.

looking good dude, keep it up!

Thanks man, I feel like I'm hitting the bag better then when I was training in NYC and that's funny because it was boxing gym too that had some muay thai instructors in it, but I'm also in better shape then when I was training, because I'm able to go on the bag for longer. I feel like when I go to my old instructors gym in south jersey I will actually get to fight this year. But i also signed up for the firefighter exam too, and I'm giving that a shot, but I've been slacking on studying lately because I've been training the boxing to stay in shape and make sure when I go back to a fight gym I will not look like I've been on the couch for the past year.

I dont like the right hand. It comes from wide position, is telegraphed and slow.

You seem to not place well the.right leg under you which translates to a poor body rotation.

I think if you spar and throw the.right you will be constantly tagged.

Try to learn to land that jab higher. I also have the bad habbit of jabbing too low which translates to lazy back offs and easy counters.

When doing short hooks make sure you angle your elbows properly for extra defence. Otherwise you will get countered again easily. Longer hooks can be lazier but when in fighting short hooks need to be text book

I dont like the right hand. It comes from wide position, is telegraphed and slow.

You seem to not place well the.right leg under you which translates to a poor body rotation.

I think if you spar and throw the.right you will be constantly tagged.

Try to learn to land that jab higher. I also have the bad habbit of jabbing too low which translates to lazy back offs and easy counters.

When doing short hooks make sure you angle your elbows properly for extra defence. Otherwise you will get countered again easily. Longer hooks can be lazier but when in fighting short hooks need to be text book

Ok sorry I fell a sleep and now I'm at an interview.

To your first feedback: my old instructor in NYC use to make me shadowbox with weights, should I do that? Or just use resistance bands? Or something like that.

To your second: elaborate more on my right leg positioning.

To your third: I will work on throwing the jab higher

To your fourth: what do you mean position my elbow? Do you mean angle it down a little?

If you can provide videos or gif or pics that would be nice.

Last edited:
Here is the video from today of my hitting the heavy bag trying to imitate Charlie burley like in the video.

I was also trying to do the in and out movement, too.

And here is the shadowboxing video before the bagwork. @Danis_champ and @Reyesnuthugr please give your input. Don't leave out any details and @llk please give your input too, I tried to follow what you said too.

-Lead hand too low.
-bring your fist back to your chin after you throw a punch
-rotate your body to get more power behind livershot
-Focus more on footwork than swinging your body left and right like Anderson Silva in matrix. Littl,e bit head movement is good but don't over extend.You have to be very very fast to pull that Silva shit of in a fight
I liked few level changes you did.

Don't imitate anybody. You are creating bad habits like that. Develop your own style but at the same time don't forget fundamentals. Seriously go to a boxing gym and start from scratch. You can't learn boxing on your own bro. It's hard to coach you through internet.

Last edited:
-Lead hand too low.
-bring your fist back to your chin after you throw a punch
-rotate your body to get more power behind livershot
-Focus more on footwork than swinging your body left and right like Anderson Silva in matrix. Littl,e bit head movement is good but don't over extend.You have to be very very fast to pull that Silva shit of in a fight
I liked few level changes you did.

Don't imitate anybody. You are creating bad habits like that. Develop your own style but at the same time don't forget fundamentals. Seriously go to a boxing gym and start from scratch. You can't learn boxing on your own bro. It's hard to coach you through internet.

Yeah I got one amateur boxer from Newark helping me, but this is my only resources right now. Trust me if I could go to a boxing gym I would, I like boxing and muay thai the most when I was training in legit fight gyms. I will be in a fight gym in the next few weeks I know that. But for now I got to use sherdog.

Back