Bagwork video again

Some good stuff in there. Your fluidity is really coming along! Nice fluid speed. Don't make the mistake of pulling your shots before they're all the way extended to make them seem faster. They're not faster if they're incomplete (I think I saw some of those when you were shadowboxing jabs with the low lead hand). Also (you dont do this) don't do the opposite and over extend.

Also I like how you're not leaning over your front foot as much, very good. Don't forget to sink (sit down) on those shots!

But I also agree with Danis, imitate the concepts instead of the exact style. Don't practice with the lead hand down-- that's for experts who have expert distance management and timing. Practice sinister's tile exercise more. It's helping. Practice the tile exercise medium speed or slower, not fast.

The hips folding is what moves your spine and in connection, your head when it moves from side to side. It all comes from the hips (not waist). The feet pivoting a little help the hips fold

Your own style will form, just make it simple for now. Don't shadowbox like a hotshot yet (or ever probably) or bad luck will happen and you'll get murked

Last edited:
Some good stuff in there. Your fluidity is really coming along! Nice fluid speed. Don't make the mistake of pulling your shots before they're all the way extended to make them seem faster. They're not faster if they're incomplete (I think I saw some of those when you were shadowboxing jabs with the low lead hand). Also (you dont do this) don't do the opposite and over extend.

Also I like how you're not leaning over your front foot as much, very good. Don't forget to sink (sit down) on those shots!

But I also agree with Danis, imitate the concepts instead of the exact style. Don't practice with the lead hand down-- that's for experts who have expert distance management and timing. Practice sinister's tile exercise more. It's helping. Practice the tile exercise medium speed or slower, not fast.

Your own style will form, just make it simple for now. Don't shadowbox like a hotshot yet or bad luck will happen and you'll get murked

Alright thanks man, I wasn't really trying to imitate his styles more of his fundamentals. I should of been more clear on that though. So footwork, bringing my hand back to my face is what I got to work on? Should I change my guard a little too back to what my guard was before or just change it to another guard?

Alright thanks man, I wasn't really trying to imitate his styles more of his fundamentals. I should of been more clear on that though. So footwork, bringing my hand back to my face is what I got to work on? Should I change my guard a little too back to what my guard was before or just change it to another guard?

Yeah work on precise footwork, keeping correct posture and movement, bring your hands back at the same level (along the same path that) you throw them, don't let them fall down and then bring them up after a punch. Also extend them without pulling them short of optimum extension or letting them go out too far and make you lean for more distance (<---- I don't see you doing this yet but don't start).

Also work on proper movement brought by hip folding, turning your feet to help the hip folding, using that to make your head move/slip during a punch. Every punch except for a jab requires hip folding movement, it's what powers it.

And also don't forget to sit down on the punches. That alone will help you so much. Maybe practice with your legs a little more bent, you a little lower. That will help them get strong and the sitting down will get easy. It will also help you really FEEL what is going on in the hips to deliver that power, it will be more grounded and engaged feeling.

DON'T stand up more when you throw a right hand, sit down a little instead. That's going to take practice.

Standard guard is good for now. If you ever become Roy Jones you can keep your arms behind your back and still knock people out, no one else can really do that though. Even GGG and Canelo still have to follow the rules

Last edited:
Yeah work on precise footwork, keeping correct posture and movement, bring your hands back at the same level (along the same path that) you throw them, don't let them fall down and then bring them up after a punch

Also work on proper movement brought by hip folding, turning your feet to help the hip folding, using that to make your head move/slip during a punch. Every punch except for a jab requires hip folding movement, it's what powers it.

And also don't forget to sit down on the punches. That alone will help you so much

Standard guard is good for now. If you ever become Roy Jones you can keep your arms behind your back and still knock people out, no one else can really do that though. Even GGG and Canelo still have to follow the rules

Alright thanks for the feedback.

Ok sorry I fell a sleep and now I'm at an interview.

To your first feedback: my old instructor in NYC use to make me shadowbox with weights, should I do that? Or just use resistance bands? Or something like that.

To your second: elaborate more on my right leg positioning.

To your third: I will work on throwing the jab higher

To your fourth: what do you mean position my elbow? Do you mean angle it down a little?

If you can provide videos or gif or pics that would be nice.

Dont.shadow box with weight.
Rather concentrate on proper feet placement and body rotation when hitting.

What will help the most is to get the left hand up and a bit forward to guard. And when doimg the.cross bring that guard in front of your chin while the left shoulder is pulled back to allow good extention of the.right cross.

Second pointer is.to have the.elbow of the right hand tucked in. That will allow for straight motion of the.cross rather than it comming from wide position.

It seems your leg is somewhere back and not under your right arm which does not allow for good body rotation and cross extending bringing that poor cross technique.

Regarding the hook. It also like the jab should be.thrown higher. With ellbow doing a good 90 degree angle in front of your face. It should look like half guard half punch at point of contact. You are throwing it too low leaving yourself unprotected.

Dont.shadow box with weight.
Rather concentrate on proper feet placement and body rotation when hitting.

What will help the most is to get the left hand up and a bit forward to guard. And when doimg the.cross bring that guard in front of your chin while the left shoulder is pulled back to allow good extention of the.right cross.

Second pointer is.to have the.elbow of the right hand tucked in. That will allow for straight motion of the.cross rather than it comming from wide position.

It seems your leg is somewhere back and not under your right arm which does not allow for good body rotation and cross extending bringing that poor cross technique.

Regarding the hook. It also like the jab should be.thrown higher. With ellbow doing a good 90 degree angle in front of your face. It should look like half guard half punch at point of contact. You are throwing it too low leaving yourself unprotected.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I will post another video tomorrow too. I hit the heavy bag after every workout, after that bagwork video I was going to do an explosive circuit or an explosive amp. But their were too many people playing basketball in that room, and that would be the only place to do explosive work.

Ok so today I weight lifted and did an explosive exercise I think is called axe swing. So I shadowbox for 3 mins non stop, I went hard with it though. And i did 3 rounds on the bag and here's my 4th round:

I was trying to imagine an opponent fighting me in the ring, I know it was a little sloppy on the head movement, I tried to incorporate some movement and a technical jab moving around my opponent, and tried to visualize him throwing punches and me countering(whether it's slipping or dipping, or just covering up and firing back), so I tried to visualize an opponent as much as possible but I think I need some inspiration in my head so I'm going to have to watch a few boxing matches and try to visualize what they're doing and just visualize the opponent attacking me.

Again advisors and critiques are welcomed, just don't leave out details of what i did wrong, @Reyesnuthugr I tried to follow what you said as much as possible hopefully I did it right, and @shincheckin I tried to use a little explosive punches too as you said, even though you said that about the shadowboxing i tried to do it on the bag too.

Edit: I also feel like it was sloppy with some of the punches but again critique of you want constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Too close
Much push
No pop
Stiff upper body and core.
More dynamism needed

Ok here is the heavy bag video from today. Shit keeps on getting in the way of me going for my run, Tues I couldn't because it was raining hard, yesterday I couldn't because I had to help my mom out with something, and today I had to pick up something from my sisters work place and bring it to the old house in short hills before 2. I got to weight lift today and got to hit the bag. I still haven't trained with the amateur boxer yet, he's from Newark but he travels to a park next to mine that has pull up bars and other calisthenics shit.

Anyways on to the video, so I was trying to focus more on keeping my self within arms reach of the bag and I feel like I was at arms reach half the time, and I was trying to practice getting inside and landing shots. I also wanted to practice the overhand too so I threw it 2x, I also take inspiration off Mike Tyson a little bit as you guys can see. So again give you guys input (@4daLuLZ, @Reyesnuthugr @Danis_champ [that is if you can give some feedback] @IIk [I don't know why your name doesn't come up when I try to add you] @shincheckin give your input if you can), and yes I know I got to go into an actual fight gym I know. I will be in an actual fight gym within the next few weeks. So it's not that I don't want to go to a fight gym (which correct me if I'm wrong, that's like 10% of peoples impression). I would really love an amateur fight this year too, and I'm also studying for the firefighter exam so I got to make that one of priorities.

I see some good improvement, looking more natural. It's going to take some time, of course-- can't fix everything in 2 days or 6 but keep working on stuff, it seems to be going well

1 thing I see is that you're still flaring your elbow up instead of keeping it down for the right hands (doing overhands instead of correct rights). Back when you were shadowboxing you weren't doing this and your right hands were much better. It's a huge telegraph for the other guy so if he can see you're about to throw a right he has a WHOLE SECOND of time or more where he can EASILY counter and you will get knocked on your ass by someone who isn't even as good as you. Stop doing overhands, haha

2 You're doing less amount of leaning forward over/past the front foot, that's good. The tendency is still there though, so work on ironing that out

Of course there are other things but these are the 2 I think you need to concentrate on more. When you get that boxing coach, make sure to have him correct your basic posture (leaning, etc) he'll show and correct what I can't do so easily over the internet

Making decent progress, keep it up

I see some good improvement, looking more natural. It's going to take some time, of course-- can't fix everything in 2 days or 6 but keep working on stuff, it seems to be going well

1 thing I see is that you're still flaring your elbow up instead of keeping it down for the right hands (doing overhands instead of correct rights). Back when you were shadowboxing you weren't doing this and your right hands were much better. It's a huge telegraph for the other guy so if he can see you're about to throw a right he has a WHOLE SECOND of time or more where he can EASILY counter and you will get knocked on your ass by someone who isn't even as good as you. Stop doing overhands, haha

2 You're doing less amount of leaning forward over/past the front foot, that's good. The tendency is still there though, so work on ironing that out

Of course there are other things but these are the 2 I think you need to concentrate on more. When you get that boxing coach, make sure to have him correct your basic posture (leaning, etc) he'll show and correct what I can't do so easily over the internet

Making decent progress, keep it up

Thank you I'll work on it, and it's going to be a muay thai gym, but I'm going to try to mix in my boxing into the muay thai. My roots are actually muay thai that was the first striking style I did other then karate when I was a kid (i got kicked out a couple of times). I will post some videos of me hitting the bag muay thai style at some point.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about the amateur boxer from newark.

Last edited:

Ok here is the heavy bag video from today. Shit keeps on getting in the way of me going for my run, Tues I couldn't because it was raining hard, yesterday I couldn't because I had to help my mom out with something, and today I had to pick up something from my sisters work place and bring it to the old house in short hills before 2. I got to weight lift today and got to hit the bag. I still haven't trained with the amateur boxer yet, he's from Newark but he travels to a park next to mine that has pull up bars and other calisthenics shit.

Anyways on to the video, so I was trying to focus more on keeping my self within arms reach of the bag and I feel like I was at arms reach half the time, and I was trying to practice getting inside and landing shots. I also wanted to practice the overhand too so I threw it 2x, I also take inspiration off Mike Tyson a little bit as you guys can see. So again give you guys input (@4daLuLZ, @Reyesnuthugr @Danis_champ [that is if you can give some feedback] @IIk [I don't know why your name doesn't come up when I try to add you] @shincheckin give your input if you can), and yes I know I got to go into an actual fight gym I know. I will be in an actual fight gym within the next few weeks. So it's not that I don't want to go to a fight gym (which correct me if I'm wrong, that's like 10% of peoples impression). I would really love an amateur fight this year too, and I'm also studying for the firefighter exam so I got to make that one of priorities.

You're still thinking power rather than speed. That's why there is a lot of push in your punches. You need to snap those motherfkers out. With quick recovery.

Your body movements are too deliberate also. Need to develop that rhythm.

And where's the jab ? I only see it thrown as an entry for your right. You need to throw it a whole lot more and in a much greater variety. And especially when you're moving around, resetting and thinking about what to do next. That jab should be automatic.

Finally I'd say forget about Mike Tyson and all that jazz. Mike Tyson's style was a perfect fit for HIS physical characteristics. That's a short, thick densely muscled guy who was extremely explosive with heavy hands and a freaking heavyweight. 99.999% of boxers are NOT that and shouldn't be copying him. Certain characteristics of his style ? Yes maybe but for a beginner there's better boxers to emulate. Especially for a guy who should be fighting at Light Welter at best.
Check out one of Tyson's favourite boxers in Ricardo Lopez. Mr fking Perfect. Or Ike Quartey. Or Vernon Forrest.

You're still thinking power rather than speed. That's why there is a lot of push in your punches. You need to snap those motherfkers out. With quick recovery.

Your body movements are too deliberate also. Need to develop that rhythm.

And where's the jab ? I only see it thrown as an entry for your right. You need to throw it a whole lot more and in a much greater variety. And especially when you're moving around, resetting and thinking about what to do next. That jab should be automatic.

Finally I'd say forget about Mike Tyson and all that jazz. Mike Tyson's style was a perfect fit for HIS physical characteristics. That's a short, thick densely muscled guy who was extremely explosive with heavy hands. 99.999% of boxers are NOT that and shouldn't be copying him. Certain characteristics of his style ? Yes maybe but for a beginner there's better boxers to emulate. Especially for a guy who should be fighting at Light Welter at best.
Check out one of Tyson's favourite boxers in Ricardo Lopez. Mr fking Perfect. Or Ike Quartey. Or Vernon Forrest.

Ok thanks for the feedback, my old instructor always taught me to use the jab as an opening, so that's what I was trying to practice on the bag. But yeah I'm not focusing on speed that much which is something i should be doing, so I'll definitely do that tomorrow. Mike Tyson is one of my favorite boxers, I wasn't big on boxing last year, I was in a boxing gym last year but I was training mostly muay thai over their because their was an instructor who was an mma fighter and a pro kickboxer who also had experience in muay thai, now that I'm focusing souly on boxing I thought that I should do my research on some boxers and see their tactics and see what they do. I guess it's best if i abandon the Mike Tyson fundamentals, but should I keep the shifting movements? Or should I just abandon it al all together?

I do agree with the previous posters.

There is still lot of "push" in your shots. Especially left hook. You want to PUNCH not PUSH. Just like the other poster said you want to focus on speed not power. When you focus on speed the power comes itself
Solid jab cross combo. I liked it
Nice double/triple jab at the start of the combo. That is what I wanted to see very well done. You changed the angle as well when coming in, great.
Again few nice level changes. Ripping the body helps to bring opponents guard down
After you finish a combination don't stand there with your legs parallel. Move out or sidestep to avoid getting countered. if the bag was alive it would hit you back. In MMA you would be taken down

You look exhausted there. Whats up with that? last round? Anyway I see good improvements. Still a lot of work to do but you are getting better for sure

I'm also working on my movement too, 2 years ago when I was training with an instructor who was basically a kickboxer and had an amateur boxing and a jeet kune do background. He was big on movement and whenever I would spar with boxers in the NYC boxing gym last year I would always use my movement to get around them (and yes I know actions speak louder then words, I'm just letting you guys know that, so you guys get an idea of how I was doing in the last 5 years), I also want to train my southpaw stance, because I'm not really completely back up to par, I was able to fight southpaw to an extent but more orthodox. I will work on it sometime just not now I'm still getting back into it.

I do agree with the previous posters.

There is still lot of "push" in your shots. Especially left hook. You want to PUNCH not PUSH. Just like the other poster said you want to focus on speed not power. When you focus on speed the power comes itself
Solid jab cross combo. I liked it
Nice double/triple jab at the start of the combo. That is what I wanted to see very well done. You changed the angle as well when coming in, great.
Again few nice level changes. Ripping the body helps to bring opponents guard down
After you finish a combination don't stand there with your legs parallel if the bag was alive it would hit you back. In MMA you would be taken down

You look exhausted there. Whats up with that? last round? Anyway I see good improvements. Still a lot of work to do but you are getting better for sure

Yeah last round lol and early morning a long with doing some deadlifts while following the 5/3/1 program and I'm on the 3rd week again so it's a lot of my 1rpm.

Edit: yeah I'm going to focus on speed next time.

Yeah last round lol and early morning a long with doing some deadlifts while following the 5/3/1 program and I'm on the 3rd week again so it's a lot of my 1rpm.

Edit: yeah I'm going to focus on speed next time.
I would avoid deadlifting before bag work. You are working on your technique. Not the best way to develop good technique while being exhausted. Stay fresh

I would avoid deadlifting before bag work. You are working on your technique. Not the best way to develop good technique while being exhausted. Stay fresh

Alright that I didn't know one guy in high school said that bench press slows down punches, and then people on here told me it don't, since your most likely a fighter I should listen to you. Should I just do shadowboxing after or should I just do an amp or a circuit?

Alright that I didn't know one guy in high school said that bench press slows down punches, and then people on here told me it don't, since your most likely a fighter I should listen to you. Should I just do shadowboxing after or should I just do an amp or a circuit?
Lol whoever told you that is ignorant. Bench presses don't slow you down. On the contrary. Remember this sport adage "All things being equal, a stronger athlete is a better athlete". Always.
Deadlifts however aren't the greatest idea for 1 main reason. They're real draining on the CNS and take the longest to recover from. Do them at least 48 hrs before any boxing. Or better yet, do rack pulls.

Lol whoever told you that is ignorant. Bench presses don't slow you down. On the contrary. Remember this sport adage "All things being equal, a stronger athlete is a better athlete". Always.
Deadlifts however aren't the greatest idea for 1 main reason. They're real draining on the CNS and take the longest to recover from. Do them at least 48 hrs before any boxing. Or better yet, do rack pulls.

Alright thank you for the feedback.

Back