Bagwork video again

3 muscles are important to striking - Shoulders, Chest and Triceps.

They're the most dominant muscles in throwing a punch if you took away core movement and leg work. Most boxers have huge triceps, shoulders and chest but usually small biceps. Fundamentally the core has the biggest impact on a strike though.

now its just "time in the saddle" keep doing what your doing, and you will slowly improve with time.

Alright thanks man

Your forgetting the legs. Which Is why I chose the 5/3/1 program because it helps with leg strength too.

Leg strength is not a big deal in boxing like core and the muscles I mentioned before. Skipping is simply enough of a work out for legs and some calf exercises.

Leg strength is not a big deal in boxing like core and the muscles I mentioned before. Skipping is simply enough of a work out for legs and some calf exercises.

Ok thank you for the feedback.

Ok I did do some bagwork today, but it was just me hitting the bag in uncontrollable anger because of my dad, I was pissed the fuck off so I decided not to film it.

Here is the video from today of my hitting the heavy bag trying to imitate Charlie burley like in the video.

I was also trying to do the in and out movement, too.

And here is the shadowboxing video before the bagwork. @Danis_champ and @Reyesnuthugr please give your input. Don't leave out any details and @llk please give your input too, I tried to follow what you said too.

Holy shit... Osama... is that you?!

old fashioned trainers used to like skinny legs as it kept the fighter down in the weight classes.

So sorry for not uploading a video sooner, but here is another bagwork vid:
A maintenance guy from the gym knocked down the camera so I just stopped the video. As always what I was working on in this video was, focusing on hitting the jab more, and setting up strikes, while also using good movement with the jab. And as always using head movement.

And this is my shadowboxing video I looked back at one thread that said that shadowboxing with your fingers out helps with speed. So that's what I was trying to focus on in the shadowboxing.

An update on which gym I'll be training at, I'm trying to go to this gym in Clifton called carnicella mma, but my mom says it's too far (which is why I wish I had the money to just pay for that gym myself) and their's another gym called whippany athletics club which has a recognized boxing coach, so that gym would be good too (mainly for boxing), but I'm looking for one gym that has both muay thai and boxing classes in the gym. I'm prepared to travel an hour to a gym (but somebody hit my car tire the other day too, so my car can't go on any highways for a while because it's on a spare tire right now. So I have to save up $700 to fix it while also having to, pay for installing the wheel and wheel alignment ain't life so great)

(@Reyesnuthugr, @Danis_champ @4daLuLZ @Woldog @shincheckin and I haven't heard anything from this guy but @eternaldarkness please give your input too, everybody give as much criticism as possible, don't leave out details and tell me what I can improve on)

I did not want to post another thread so I just decided to put it in this one.

just keep practicing now, thats really all that is left for you to do, is keep training.

Your lefthook is really sloppy, a hook's power comes from your core movement, not your shoulder, practice having your arm in one spot then just move your core, once you have the core movement down add a bit of movement from the shoulder to add to the momentum of the hit.
When you do your little ducks, you look at the ground, don't ever take your eyes off your opponent, shadow or not.
Your straights have no core movement coming through them, step forward with your front foot and then rip through with your core turning at the same time as your punch goes out, Your Jabs are okay but you move in and say in after a jab, you should use your jab as a range finder, and a way to keep the distance should they move in, The only time you ever plant your foot after a jab is if you're throwing a big straight after it with your power hand.

I do agree with the previous poster. My English ain't that good to explain you everything in detail. In short. The biggest mistake I'm seeing is your left hook (bag video) You have to put your whole body behind the punch. Left hook should be a knockout punch not a weak touch.
When you are shadow boxing why are you not closing you fists like in a real fight? I see stockton slaps there :D

I do agree with the previous poster. My English ain't that good to explain you everything in detail. In short. The biggest mistake I'm seeing is your left hook (bag video) You have to put your whole body behind the punch. Left hook should be a knockout punch not a weak touch.
When you are shadow boxing why are you not closing you fists like in a real fight? I see stockton slaps there :D

Lol I thought it would make my punches faster. I did not realize I wasn't putting my hips in it. Thank you for the feedback
Your lefthook is really sloppy, a hook's power comes from your core movement, not your shoulder, practice having your arm in one spot then just move your core, once you have the core movement down add a bit of movement from the shoulder to add to the momentum of the hit.
When you do your little ducks, you look at the ground, don't ever take your eyes off your opponent, shadow or not.
Your straights have no core movement coming through them, step forward with your front foot and then rip through with your core turning at the same time as your punch goes out, Your Jabs are okay but you move in and say in after a jab, you should use your jab as a range finder, and a way to keep the distance should they move in, The only time you ever plant your foot after a jab is if you're throwing a big straight after it with your power hand.

I thought I was looking at the body though, guess I have to be more aware.
So step forward on a jab, more hip rotation in the hooks and obviously in the straights, and work on being more aware when doing my level changes, and using the jab as a range finder instead of a way to set up a right hand.

So I need to practice shadowboxing, more power in my hooks. I guess that's a little more important. And I guess sitting down on the punches too to put power in the jabs thank you for the feedback.

Lol I thought it would make my punches faster. I did not realize I wasn't putting my hips in it. Thank you for the feedback

I thought I was looking at the body though, guess I have to be more aware.
So step forward on a jab, more hip rotation in the hooks and obviously in the straights, and work on being more aware when doing my level changes, and using the jab as a range finder instead of a way to set up a right hand.

So I need to practice shadowboxing, more power in my hooks. I guess that's a little more important. And I guess sitting down on the punches too to put power in the jabs thank you for the feedback.
your right hand looks to have improved a fair bit. your still connecting with the right slightly after the point of maximum impact. like woldog said trying stepping in a bit more. when you do, step in and slightly to the left, this lines the right up better. also stand a little more side on and set more weight on your right foot before throwing the right. (turning more side on will help create more hip rotation/shoulder rotation and setting more weight on the back foot will give greater weigh transferal) it's the same problem with the left hook, your not setting enough weight on your left foot first, (your right is a lot better than the left hook thought, because it has better weight transferal)

your right hand looks to have improved a fair bit. your still connecting with the right slightly after the point of maximum impact. like woldog said trying stepping in a bit more. when you do, step in and slightly to the left, this lines the right up better. also stand a little more side on and set more weight on your right foot before throwing the right. (turning more side on will help create more hip rotation/shoulder rotation and setting more weight on the back foot will give greater weigh transferal) it's the same problem with the left hook, your not setting enough weight on your left foot first, (your right is a lot better than the left hook thought, because it has better weight transferal)

Ok so weight distribution is something I got to work on too. It's funny because when I first started training in 2013 I actually was intrigued by anthony Pettis style and when I looked up a style analysis it said something about him attacking whichever foot the weight is on the most. Obviously you got to be trained to notice that, but that really wasn't something I would pay attention too.

So I'm guessing when I throw the right plant my foot to the left forward, and bringing my right leg to the center of mass, and rotating my hips. Is that right?

And with the left hook do you mean to lean in just a little bit? Or do you mean bring my body to the center and use more hip rotation?

Ok so weight distribution is something I got to work on too. It's funny because when I first started training in 2013 I actually was intrigued by anthony Pettis style and when I looked up a style analysis it said something about him attacking whichever foot the weight is on the most. Obviously you got to be trained to notice that, but that really wasn't something I would pay attention too.

So I'm guessing when I throw the right plant my foot to the left forward, and bringing my right leg to the center of mass, and rotating my hips. Is that right?

And with the left hook do you mean to lean in just a little bit? Or do you mean bring my body to the center and use more hip rotation?

The weight transfer i.e You should always have your weight on the backfoot and switch the weight to the front foot as you go with the punch, that transfer increases the power of your hit and then transferring the weight to your back foot once you've hit and recovered, the reason its important to practice is in a fight if your punch misses you can be caught reaching, unguarded and off balance.

The weight transfer i.e You should always have your weight on the backfoot and switch the weight to the front foot as you go with the punch, that transfer increases the power of your hit and then transferring the weight to your back foot once you've hit and recovered, the reason its important to practice is in a fight if your punch misses you can be caught reaching, unguarded and off balance.

Ok thank you for the input.

Back