Bagwork video

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Hey guys. A few rounds from today, bout 3 rounds spliced into one vid for your viewing pleasure. Not doing too much training atm but I'll resume again with the personal coaching in a few months (when I'm done interning).

I'm mixing in kicks, elbows and knees atm:

Nice work mate, I love heavy bad training! It's hard to let go on a bag like that, but they are great for moving around while you work!

Others will be much more qualified to critique your hands but I do have to say that I like seeing rechambering directly and at the same speed as your striking. You may be keeping the power down on purpose, but if not, you need to put some body mass behind your cross.

Again, I'm sure others will have a lot of good input. I just wanted to mention those two.

Edit: In the last few seconds you were putting more behind your cross. Like I said before, you may have been pulling it up on purpose in the early going. Really like seeing the rechambering. That's an easy place to gain an edge.

Best of luck.
I used to have a bad habit of leaving my hands out there, especially my jab. Rechambering fast helps me a lot with both being in a better position defensively and being able to place the next shot.

Yeah I'm pulling the right a bit, I have a strained finger on my right hand which I've had for like 7 months now. As soft as that bag is, if I use full power on it without wraps I'll smash it. Something about the straight down the pipe angle that fucks up that finger. Overhands are not a problem.

Nice work mate, I love heavy bad training! It's hard to let go on a bag like that, but they are great for moving around while you work!
Thanks man! Yeah it's definitely a different kind of bag, and it's challenging to use force on it without it flying all over the place. I'm trying to use it to move a little more, which is quite fun also. Get to use my eyes as well, so it's good for working counters.

Don't know how people can punch the bag without gloves. Even with gloves, my knuckles get busted up. At best it gets red. Even when doing pads, my knuckles get fucked sometimes.

Back to the vid. Nice footwork. I would love to see some more combos. Hand>leg combos. 123kick or something. Right now you're just boxing and throwing in a few kicks here and there.

Your jump knee is funny. Maybe it's the hand placement and lack of hip thrust.

Your boxing is weird. I don't know what's wrong with it but it just looks weird to me. Doesn't have that Mayweather or other boxers feel.

I like your flow, rythm (head feints), and speed.

Your stance is weird. Not bad. Just weird. Do you use machida as inspiration?

Fuck I was wondering who he reminds me to.

Sano, your single hits and short combos are with a pretty good technique. Basics are really fine. Perhaps work on more dynamism, longer combos which include some slips or weaves. Mix up range of shots, range of level where you hit, mix up hands and kicks. Basically work on being more dynamic to a degree where you start losing balance, so you can stop there and correct. Right now you are drilling fundamentals and your fundamentals are really good.

Your style is rad I dig it. You should try to move your head off the centre line when you jab though. I like that quick double jab of yours but I feel like a good striker would see that your head stays upright when you do it and would counter with a big overhand right. Maybe im wrong though you look like you know what your doing. Nice work.

Hey guys. A few rounds from today, bout 3 rounds spliced into one vid for your viewing pleasure. Not doing too much training atm but I'll resume again with the personal coaching in a few months (when I'm done interning).

I'm mixing in kicks, elbows and knees atm:

what style do you train or fight? MMA?

are you looking for critique?

Post nudes of the broad walking in the background with blue mats

Haha, pretty funny how everyone is weirded out by my stance
Don't know how people can punch the bag without gloves. Even with gloves, my knuckles get busted up. At best it gets red. Even when doing pads, my knuckles get fucked sometimes.

Back to the vid. Nice footwork. I would love to see some more combos. Hand>leg combos. 123kick or something. Right now you're just boxing and throwing in a few kicks here and there.

Your jump knee is funny. Maybe it's the hand placement and lack of hip thrust.

Your boxing is weird. I don't know what's wrong with it but it just looks weird to me. Doesn't have that Mayweather or other boxers feel.
The bag is very soft and I dont have gloves atm, so it works out. Hands feeling decent today.

Yeah I am more or less just mixing in kicks and the rest, boxing is my base. Still, its fun learning to blend it, but I need to sharpen up.

Thanks man.

Hmm, not really. I dont really draw inspiration from a single fighter. I think what I'm going for is two part. Part tall in and out, straight punches down the line with no tell, like a Darren Till, and part a crowding inside puncher with more lateral movement, more head movement, angles and a strong left hook. I'm a pressure fighter at heart, but I work better better at range.

Being able to mix things up with some Somrak and Samart would be awesome.
Fuck I was wondering who he reminds me to.

Sano, your single hits and short combos are with a pretty good technique. Basics are really fine. Perhaps work on more dynamism, longer combos which include some slips or weaves. Mix up range of shots, range of level where you hit, mix up hands and kicks. Basically work on being more dynamic to a degree where you start losing balance, so you can stop there and correct. Right now you are drilling fundamentals and your fundamentals are really good.
Hey, thanks man.

I know what you mean. Hopefully ill get better at freely using a more dynamic set of punches and kicks. I tend to get stuck a little setting up the same things on the bag.
Your style is rad I dig it. You should try to move your head off the centre line when you jab though. I like that quick double jab of yours but I feel like a good striker would see that your head stays upright when you do it and would counter with a big overhand right. Maybe im wrong though you look like you know what your doing. Nice work.
Thanks my man! It's beginning to come together.

You're not wrong! I used to get caught moving in with a lazy jab. It's a bit more tight now, but I still have to ve thoughtful. Slipping to the outside and jabbing works well if I dont get too predictable with it. Thanks again for the heads up.

what style do you train or fight? MMA?

are you looking for critique?
Hmm. Boxing, kickboxing/mt and MMA. Not fighting atm.

Yeah any critique is appreciated.
Post nudes of the broad walking in the background with blue mats
Didnt you see how unimpressed she was? Dont think nudes are happening brah!

I also like that sneaky jump lead leg knee you do two times in the video.

Too often you see people only practice those wild flying knees from hell.

not a fan of the stance for MT, but i think its fine for everything else.

without nitpicking every tiny detail, the 2 things that stood out to me the most would be, full extension on your punches, your throwing your R hand from about should height, gloves ;)

overall technique is good.

I also like that sneaky jump lead leg knee you do two times in the video.

Too often you see people only practice those wild flying knees from hell.
Yeah the flying knees are mostly for fun (and a good way to practice powerful skipping/kneeing). I don't know if I'd use them ever in a real fight, unless I could set it up really well. I can't do MT style knees coming out and in, but I I like stepping in with straight knees. Especially when you can time someone, or pull them into it. A straight knee up and into the solar plexus is a wonderful thing.

not a fan of the stance for MT, but i think its fine for everything else.

without nitpicking every tiny detail, the 2 things that stood out to me the most would be, full extension on your punches, your throwing your R hand from about should height, gloves ;)

overall technique is good.
I'm getting better at extending my punches, but it's still something I'm working on. Here I am not doing it with my right really because I can't punch through the bag without hurting my finger as I mentioned above. I am getting better at not crowding my punches but it's still not easy for me. Hands from shoulder thingie, do you mean that it's low defensively? And could you elaborate on the stance not being good for pure MT?

Thanks.

Yeah the flying knees are mostly for fun (and a good way to practice powerful skipping/kneeing). I don't know if I'd use them ever in a real fight, unless I could set it up really well. I can't do MT style knees coming out and in, but I I like stepping in with straight knees. Especially when you can time someone, or pull them into it. A straight knee up and into the solar plexus is a wonderful thing.

I'm getting better at extending my punches, but it's still something I'm working on. Here I am not doing it with my right really because I can't punch through the bag without hurting my finger as I mentioned above. I am getting better at not crowding my punches but it's still not easy for me. Hands from shoulder thingie, do you mean that it's low defensively? And could you elaborate on the stance not being good for pure MT?

Thanks.

yeah all just things to work on bro, we can all improve our "jab" its a never ending process. The biggest power from the punch is the last few inches, thats where you get the pop.

yeah your throwing your right hand from about shoulder height, and bringing it back to your shoulder. low defensively, exactly.

stance is a bit front leg heavy and to sideways for my liking, however for MMA i think it would be fine.

Your not too heavy on your feet and that’s a major thing, however everything seems rushed. You don’t really finish any movement before you bounce off to something else. You don’t have to go full Keith Jardine. I actually though you looked better as you tired a little.
Maybe try to bring some more distance control into your movement. Rather than continually duck and dive around the bag Move in, strikes/head movement/pivots/etc move out. Relax, reset then go again

Your not too heavy on your feet and that’s a major thing, however everything seems rushed. You don’t really finish any movement before you bounce off to something else. You don’t have to go full Keith Jardine. I actually though you looked better as you tired a little.
Maybe try to bring some more distance control into your movement. Rather than continually duck and dive around the bag Move in, strikes/head movement/pivots/etc move out. Relax, reset then go again

It depends on move in and move out. A lot of boxing coaches tell you to not move out once you found your distance. I am critiqued a lot because I created a bad habit of move in, move out. 2 boxing coaches have told me to keep the distance, why am I backing off? I am kind of confused on that to be honest.

yeah all just things to work on bro, we can all improve our "jab" its a never ending process. The biggest power from the punch is the last few inches, thats where you get the pop.

yeah your throwing your right hand from about shoulder height, and bringing it back to your shoulder. low defensively, exactly.

stance is a bit front leg heavy and to sideways for my liking, however for MMA i think it would be fine.
Yeah, always something to improve. Ah, I got ya. I can be a little careless with my hand positioning sometimes.

Ugh Keith Jardine, that hurt! Haha, thanks and I get what you're saying. Distance control is something I need to get better at, but I like staying close to someone especially if it makes them uncomfortable.

It depends on move in and move out. A lot of boxing coaches tell you to not move out once you found your distance. I am critiqued a lot because I created a bad habit of move in, move out. 2 boxing coaches have told me to keep the distance, why am I backing off? I am kind of confused on that to be honest.
There is not set in stone way to do it, so maybe that's why you're confused. It depends on your attributes, the matchup, the ruleset and in which position you do your best work. You'll find a plethora of styles in the sense that some like to move more in and out, others to stick and then there's everything in between. As long as you can deliberately impose your game on the other person and you're in sensible/superior positions you will have the advantage. That's why you need a whole lot of skill to make sure that is the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back