(Balanced) Square stance fighters

Falconkick

A charming asshole
Yellow Card
Reaction score
Recently incorporated a more square stance. I feel a lot better with this stance, more power in kicks but I am wondering what your guys thoughts are on this stance and a list of fighters that use the stance. I believe Samart, Rob Kaman and Ramon would be considered a more square stance fighter....looking for names to watch

this is the stance i use and you will find most "thai" style MT fighters use the same stance. Bas Rutten also liked the square stance

this is the stance i use and you will find most "thai" style MT fighters use the same stance. Bas Rutten also liked the square stance

Very good with the feet pointing forward as oppose to the sides. As a southpaw I find this stance just lets my right leg attack on command after a 1-2. No switch stepping, I love it. More balance, more power and quicker to throw kicks from each leg

Thus are you not an easier target for your opponent ? The more you stay square, the more you expose yourself to be striked

In the years I did boxing, I was taught to stay on a roughly 45 degree angle from my opponent because a "profile stance" would make me a difficult target and facilitate quick in-and-out strikes. But then again , it was western boxing

In the years I did boxing, I was taught to stay on a roughly 45 degree angle from my opponent because a "profile stance" would make me a difficult target and facilitate quick in-and-out strikes. But then again , it was western boxing

Where weight is distributed evenly and more balance you check kicks quicker. And can still step forward back quick and circle left/right quickly....yes that is boxing. That stance leaves your body wide open to kicks. Much easier to sweep and terrible balance

From memory Ramon Dekkers used a very powerful square on style.

the boxing stance does very poor in muay thai. they are 2 different sports. I started out in boxing before switching to MT. I cross train both now. The way you throw a football is not the same way you throw a baseball, though you are "throwing a ball" for both.

I wonder if the square stance would be used so much if it was allowed to kick the groin and cups weren't allowed...

a kick to the nuts is a very effective weapon.....not for sport though.

FWIW kicks to the groin ARE legal in Muay Thai. thats why they wear steel cups. Go ahead and kick it - see how that feels.

a good fight for this thread to watch is masato / baukaw 1. masato had a very square stance and got teeped to death. A lot of the teeps were to the hip / groin area and when he tried to push it away - he ate a jab.

It's good up to a certain level. however I believe that the best strikers in MMA right now like TJ and Cody are showing that it simply can not compete against next level angles and movement. People think im crazy but I think Cody and DJ have better striking ability than the best kickboxers in the world and have taken the game to a completely different level than kickboxing has ever reached.

It's good up to a certain level. however I believe that the best strikers in MMA right now like TJ and Cody are showing that it simply can not compete against next level angles and movement. People think im crazy but I think Cody and DJ have better striking ability than the best kickboxers in the world and have taken the game to a completely different level than kickboxing has ever reached.

Im friends with 2 of duanes pro mma fighters and train with them when they come to cali. I guess it comes down to what sport your talking about. For MT it is the best stance to have, for kickboxing rules, perhaps not. I disagree with cody and TJ having better striking than the best kickboxers in the world. A guy like liam or pinca would make easy work of them IMO. they have great striking, but its striking for MMA. At least to me.....Bang Muay Thai seems to be Muay Thai for MMA.

<Lmaoo>

They're good, but c'mon.

<Lmaoo>

They're good, but c'mon.
Guys like Overeem won K1 grand prix tournaments and he's just a mediocre striker in MMA. The top MMA talent blows away the level of talent in kickboxing.

If kickboxers were as good as you say they are, they'd be doing MMA or boxing; both pay a lot lot more money.

For example, any MMA fan will admit that the level of athlete and skill in MMA is below that of football, etc. Kickboxing fans seem to have some kind of inferiority complex and can't admit the obvious.

Guys like Overeem won K1 grand prix tournaments and he's just a mediocre striker in MMA. The top MMA talent blows away the level of talent in kickboxing.

If kickboxers were as good as you say they are, they'd be doing MMA or boxing; both pay a lot lot more money.

For example, any MMA fan will admit that the level of athlete and skill in MMA is below that of football, etc. Kickboxing fans seem to have some kind of inferiority complex and can't admit the obvious.
Sigh... you can't compare 61 kg fighters to 112 kg fighters. Tj and Cody are good and can probably beat some kickboxers but they will not be able to habe consistent success stuff the stuff they do in mma.

FWIW kicks to the groin ARE legal in Muay Thai. thats why they wear steel cups. Go ahead and kick it - see how that feels.

a good fight for this thread to watch is masato / baukaw 1. masato had a very square stance and got teeped to death. A lot of the teeps were to the hip / groin area and when he tried to push it away - he ate a jab.

Excellent will watch that fight.

MT is not MMA......MMA is not Muay thai.......just because you are a boxer, doesnt mean you can fight MMA. They are different sports.

Boxers have "A" class hands, because thats all they do.

With MMA we all know you need to be well rounded, and have much more stuff to learn and work on than just a boxer for example. That being said, the better MMA fighters tend to be a "B" or "C" at everything, but not an "A" at anything in particular. So if you take a "A" class MMA fighter with "B" class kickboxing and put him against an "A" class kickboxer the odds are against him.

MMA guys being well rounded is a great example of how when a boxer watches an MMA fight, they think their hands suck, and when a MT watches an MMA fight, he thinks their kick or clinch sucks, etc etc.

I would also disagree with your statement that the level of skill and athleticism in MMA is below football. There are many tough physically demanding sports in the world, but all combat sports require you to be in the best shape physically possible.

Last edited:

Cool so you only know MMA fighters that have competed in K-1. Forget the fact that Overeem had been training with K-1 champions in a K-1 gym since he was in his teens. Must have been his MMA neo footwork training that got him that GP.

MMA fighters must suck because they don't compete in Football I guess, by your logic?

Cool so you only know MMA fighters that have competed in K-1. Forget the fact that Overeem had been training with K-1 champions in a K-1 gym since he was in his teens. Must have been his MMA neo footwork training that got him that GP.

MMA fighters must suck because they don't compete in Football I guess, by your logic?
The point is that Overeem was a world champion level kickboxing striker. He gets knocked out all the time by bum level strikers in MMA. Travis Browne is a better striker than kickboxing world champions. The level of ability, skill, athleticism, and talent in MMA is simply in a different universe than kickboxing and it's because MMA fighters make a lot more money.

EG -- Ex-NFL level athletes don't go "I wanna do kickboxing to make some money". They try MMA because there's money there. But when they do try kickboxing, they KO the GOATs in their absolute primes with no training. Bob Sapp > Prime Ernesto Hoost

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back