(Balanced) Square stance fighters

The point is that Overeem was a world champion level kickboxing striker. He gets knocked out all the time by bum level strikers in MMA. Travis Browne is a better striker than kickboxing world champions. The level of ability, skill, athleticism, and talent in MMA is simply in a different universe than kickboxing and it's because MMA fighters make a lot more money.

EG -- Ex-NFL level athletes don't go "I wanna do kickboxing to make some money". They try MMA because there's money there. But when they do try kickboxing, they KO the GOATs in their absolute primes with no training. Bob Sapp > Prime Ernesto Hoost

when chess players play checkers......they loose.

there was a tiny size/strength difference between hoost vs sapp, i know the difference is so minor that its probably not even worth mentioning :rolleyes:

bob.jpg

back on topic....the squared stance being beneficial for MT is quite simple really, it "takes away" the leg kick. yeah your open in the middle, thats why we catch the teeps/kicks. IMO the squared stance is the best stance for MT. for mma no, for boxing no, for kickboxing no, for MT yes.

the fightips guy does a good job of going over it

That fighttips video is full of flaws though

The point is that Overeem was a world champion level kickboxing striker. He gets knocked out all the time by bum level strikers in MMA. Travis Browne is a better striker than kickboxing world champions. The level of ability, skill, athleticism, and talent in MMA is simply in a different universe than kickboxing and it's because MMA fighters make a lot more money.

EG -- Ex-NFL level athletes don't go "I wanna do kickboxing to make some money". They try MMA because there's money there. But when they do try kickboxing, they KO the GOATs in their absolute primes with no training. Bob Sapp > Prime Ernesto Hoost
Yes, Overeem is a garbage striker but has been a top ranked fighter in both LHW and HW in MMA for 15 years. What does that say about your sport then? MMA in all of its history has just now had a HW champ defend the title two times. What does that say about the reality of the HW division in combat sports?

Big Nog was the #1 HW when Sapp almost killed him at the same time he beat Hoost, by breaking rules mind you.

These are tired talking points, and regardless, a single fighter and weight class for that matter in a single promotion does not represent the sport as a whole.

Also, you site TJ Dillashaw as some next level striker but he's trained by Bang Ludwig who learned everything from a Dutchman Bas Rutten, and he also brings in Nick Hemmers for training and just wrapped up a seminar with Andy Souwer. He also just brought in K-1 champ Takeru to work with TJ. Go watch his training videos he teaches exactly like the Dutch do.

Last edited:
yes it is!
I don't mean to steal this thread but for any type of technique i think the best videos are the ones by Sylvie Von Duuglas-Ittu when she is instructed by different thai legends. You get a deeper insight to why the techniques work aswell.

I don't mean to steal this thread but for any type of technique i think the best videos are the ones by Sylvie Von Duuglas-Ittu when she is instructed by different thai legends. You get a deeper insight to why the techniques work aswell.

totally agree, i remember watching sylvie before she blew up. fighttips and kwonkicker both got all their fame off 1 fight in thailand. I believe fightips has like 1 or 2 amatuer boxing matches as well. I dont doubt the guy has the knowledge because hes been on the scene for a long time ( i think that vid was old) but the exp isnt there, where as sylvie has 200+ fights.

totally agree, i remember watching sylvie before she blew up. fighttips and kwonkicker both got all their fame off 1 fight in thailand. I believe fightips has like 1 or 2 amatuer boxing matches as well. I dont doubt the guy has the knowledge because hes been on the scene for a long time ( i think that vid was old) but the exp isnt there, where as sylvie has 200+ fights.
Of course Sylvie has more experience but i mostly think the videos are better because there are actually experts correcting her technique during the videos. If you had a guy lile fight tips train with a thai trainer he would have to correct so many things. I don't think he is at all qualified to be teaching some of the things he is

Of course Sylvie has more experience but i mostly think the videos are better because there are actually experts correcting her technique during the videos. If you had a guy lile fight tips train with a thai trainer he would have to correct so many things. I don't think he is at all qualified to be teaching some of the things he is

your exactly right...glad you said it before me lol... i ddint want to come off like a hater, but the skill level in his "pro" thai fight (for him and kwonkicker both) is not very high at all....I personally feel the local level of competition is higher than his fight in thailand i saw. The thing is, ppl know so little about thailand and muay thai, that if you go to thailand, have a bar fight against a tuk tuk driver, come back to the US and tell ppl you fought in thailand, they automatically think you are champion of the world because you fought in "thailand" nevermind to ask what stadium it was at because they dont know any of them.

Good call. Have been watching a lot more of her these last few weeks. Why I started this thread because she was going over the squared stance with Samart. She claimed he "stands like he is waiting for a bus"

Good call. Have been watching a lot more of her these last few weeks. Why I started this thread because she was going over the squared stance with Samart. She claimed he "stands like he is waiting for a bus"

The thing that stuck for me regarding the square stance the most is........railroad tracks.

It's good up to a certain level. however I believe that the best strikers in MMA right now like TJ and Cody are showing that it simply can not compete against next level angles and movement. People think im crazy but I think Cody and DJ have better striking ability than the best kickboxers in the world and have taken the game to a completely different level than kickboxing has ever reached.
Preach

funnily enough Raymond Daniel is the only fighter to beat Wonderboy under kickboxing rules.

Preach what? Nonsense?

Bang is essentially running a Dutch Kickboxing gym, even down to the back and forth combinations using the palm of the glove as a mit.

lol, theres alot of nonsense here.

Your exactly right with what he teaches, but I would say its geared for MMA. Duane is active on the MMA scene and has alot of MMA fighters....I dont know if he has any fighters competing in kickboxing or MT?

Preach what? Nonsense?

Bang is essentially running a Dutch Kickboxing gym, even down to the back and forth combinations using the palm of the glove as a mit.
Dillashaw doesn’t have much of a Dutch style at all. MMA striking is most definitely moving away from the more traditional MT square stance. Has been for a while. Alls I’m saying.

Back