Bands, musicians you just don't get

I have been listining to metal since 1994 and don't get Ghost either.
The play very slow and tame old fashion heavy metal with satanic image...
One of my friends who is really into Deep Purple loves them... I think they are really lame.

Saw them twice, once at Graspop festival (2013) and once at Alcatraz festival (2017). Very tame hardrock/metal band... imo

edit:
My pick would be Muse... just... meh. That entire genre is just so lame...
The little I've heard of them, it wasn't even really heavy metal, it struck me as more poppy. Tame is a good descriptor.
The whole "satanic" image thing is pretty overplayed nowadays, IMO.
Bands like Gorgoroth, Dark Funeral et al would be better advised in focusing more on decent songwriting and less on imagery.

Never heard Muse that I'm aware of, but if it's "alternative", then it probably sucks.

The little I've heard of them, it wasn't even really heavy metal, it struck me as more poppy. Tame is a good descriptor.
The whole "satanic" image thing is pretty overplayed nowadays, IMO.
Bands like Gorgoroth, Dark Funeral et al would be better advised in focusing more on decent songwriting and less on imagery.

Never heard Muse that I'm aware of, but if it's "alternative", then it probably sucks.
Muse does suck

Metallica is like the gateway band, kinda weak, not too heavy, but enough to get a taste.
That being said, I prefer the Teutonics over the big 4.
I can understand if you said the music post AJFA but the stuff the band put out in the 80's is some of the heaviest metal out there.

I can understand if you said the music post AJFA but the stuff the band put out in the 80's is some of the heaviest metal out there.
Kill 'em All had Mustaine's fingerprints all over the riffage, and MOP was pretty good, but they just never seemed to measure up to their contemporaries in the heaviness dept to these ears at any rate.

I think my main issue with Metallica is really the overexposure they got, especially back in the day. That and Pyromania (and Piece of Mind) was all you heard coming out of peoples boomboxes for a good while.

I've been trying to listen to The Stone Roses a lot here as of late but I just can't figure out why they are suppose to be so good. If any is a fan of them can you give me a top 5 Stone Roses songs?

I've been trying to listen to The Stone Roses a lot here as of late but I just can't figure out why they are suppose to be so good. If any is a fan of them can you give me a top 5 Stone Roses songs?

Their first album is great. The end of I Am The Resurrection is the best Rolling Stones imitation I've heard. The guitar that kicks in at the end of the last chorus is fucking sublime. The thing is it's an album of it's time. It was made by a band high on designer drugs for a nation that was high on designer drugs. It will always be a classic to those of us who were there but I don't know if translates as well to today's kids.

Metallica is like the gateway band, kinda weak, not too heavy, but enough to get a taste.
That being said, I prefer the Teutonics over the big 4.

What’s the teutonics? Couldn’t find it in Spotify...

As some people already mentioned, it has to be Ghost.

If I wanna listen some Black Oyster Cult-like music I would just listen to fucking Blue Oyster Cult.

If those fuckers didn't have all that satanic cult schtick, hardly anyone would give a fuck about them.

As some people already mentioned, it has to be Ghost.

If I wanna listen some Black Oyster Cult-like music I would just listen to fucking Blue Oyster Cult.

If those fuckers didn't have all that satanic cult schtick, hardly anyone would give a fuck about them.

Exactly. There are also people like me that refuse to listen to them because of their cringeworthy stupid gimmick.

Fuck those try-too-hard posers.

Last edited:
Exactly. There are also people like me that refuse to listen to them because of their cringeworthy stupid gimmick.

Fuck those try-too-hard posers.

The theatrics of that band is what initially made me want to check them out, as I like plenty of bands/artists that do pretty similar things (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Buckethead, Misfits etc..) Only when I heard their songs, is when I started wondering why everyone was making such a big deal about them. I find their music pretty boring and uninteresting.

That's a long time, I've been at it for almost three years now.
It's a challenge.
Yes, but fun. You gotta do the woodshedding, but you also have to aim for a style that's yours. The real challenge isn't being technical and precise. It's finding a way to be proficient without sounding canned.
Playing with a little heart, a little emotion.

Yes, but fun. You gotta do the woodshedding, but you also have to aim for a style that's yours. The real challenge isn't being technical and precise. It's finding a way to be proficient without sounding canned.
Playing with a little heart, a little emotion.
Yes, that is true.
Finding your own voice is tricky. There is a tendency to emulate the ones that influence you, it's why I try to be open towards as many different styles of music as possible, especially when it comes to melody.
Honestly, the easiest technique (outside of bends, vibrato and the basics) so far in learning guitar has been fast alternate picking.
My roadblock has been tapping. Don't care much for sweeps (I'm in Freidman's camp regarding that dooleep - dooloop style of arpeggio sweeping; I prefer sweeping mainly as a segue to a run or whatever). Finding that just right balance between technique and feeling (Lynch is a good example of tasty leads) is the goal.

What gear do you use?
I have a Jackson Dinky and an Ibanez JEM. I like the Ibanez, but I love the Jackson.
Pedals: 0verdrive > phaser > chorus > compressor > delay, but I rarely use anything other than overdrive, compressor (vital) and delay.
Amp is a 100w Blackstar.
Saving up for a Jackson Kelly right now.

Did you learn theory and all that stuff, or just wing it?

Yes, that is true.
Finding your own voice is tricky. There is a tendency to emulate the ones that influence you, it's why I try to be open towards as many different styles of music as possible, especially when it comes to melody.
Honestly, the easiest technique (outside of bends, vibrato and the basics) so far in learning guitar has been fast alternate picking.
My roadblock has been tapping. Don't care much for sweeps (I'm in Freidman's camp regarding that dooleep - dooloop style of arpeggio sweeping; I prefer sweeping mainly as a segue to a run or whatever). Finding that just right balance between technique and feeling (Lynch is a good example of tasty leads) is the goal.

What gear do you use?
I have a Jackson Dinky and an Ibanez JEM. I like the Ibanez, but I love the Jackson.
Pedals: 0verdrive > phaser > chorus > compressor > delay, but I rarely use anything other than overdrive, compressor (vital) and delay.
Amp is a 100w Blackstar.
Saving up for a Jackson Kelly right now.

Did you learn theory and all that stuff, or just wing it?
I used to play a Jackson V. Then my style changed a bit, I spread out, and started playing all sorts of music a Jackson V just isn't great for.

So I ended up in love with the feel and versatility of a Strat. I've played quite a few but my favorite is a 2015 American Deluxe HSH, silverburst. It's got that clean Strat sound (007 theme) and Knopfler in there, and the humbuckers have a thick, powerful sound that likes a distortion pedal.

I play entirely through Fender amps. I have a Deluxe reverb and a Hot Rod Deluxe, both have plenty of headroom. Both are as loud as I need them to be in most playing situations.

I use minimal effects, mostly Boss; they make decent sounding tanks that rarely fail. I've had bad luck with TC Electronic and Electro Harmonix.

Pedal Power Iso>Korg tuner>Dynamic Wah>silver knob DS-1>DD-7 digital delay>RC-1 loop station. That's it. I've tried out several pedals over the years but nothing says "You need me in the chain".
I have an early 80's Roland guitar synthesizer but rarely play it; the effects are degraded and laggy.
But it's got all those great Fripp sounds/presets.

I used to play a Jackson V. Then my style changed a bit, I spread out, and started playing all sorts of music a Jackson V just isn't great for.

So I ended up in love with the feel and versatility of a Strat. I've played quite a few but my favorite is a 2015 American Deluxe HSH, silverburst. It's got that clean Strat sound (007 theme) and Knopfler in there, and the humbuckers have a thick, powerful sound that likes a distortion pedal.

I play entirely through Fender amps. I have a Deluxe reverb and a Hot Rod Deluxe, both have plenty of headroom. Both are as loud as I need them to be in most playing situations.

I use minimal effects, mostly Boss; they make decent sounding tanks that rarely fail. I've had bad luck with TC Electronic and Electro Harmonix.

Pedal Power Iso>Korg tuner>Dynamic Wah>silver knob DS-1>DD-7 digital delay>RC-1 loop station. That's it. I've tried out several pedals over the years but nothing says "You need me in the chain".
I have an early 80's Roland guitar synthesizer but rarely play it; the effects are degraded and laggy.
But it's got all those great Fripp sounds/presets.
Cool. I find effects steal away from note clarity, a big no-no. I use Boss as well, you can't go wrong with the tested and true.
Cheers and happy Friday!

Back