Bands, musicians you just don't get

I never dug Oasis.

Dylan was a great songwriter. While his technical ability as a musician is lacking, his style of music doesn't lend itself to technical proficiency. It's meant to sound like some guy in a back alley somewhere is playing it.

I'm not a huge fan but you nailed it with that one: He's not referred to as a guitar god. He's called "the voice of his generation."

Meh, they'd all say that about each other. I agree he was a very talented guitarist, I just don't agree he really did shit that no one else had ( and I don't really like his songs but that subjective). Cream's first album came out before Jimi's. It has all of the things Jimi is celebrated for.

No, no, no. No. Cream may have done technically what Hendrix did. But if they really did what he did, the songs would sound exactly the same. They don’t. Hendrix had a feel nobody else ever had before or sense. It’s not like nobody else thought to play the pentatonic scales. But it’s the way he did it that made him special.

Led Zeppelin. Grossly overrated shit. So many superior rock bands out there.

For overall genres its mumble rap & screamo/death metal. Both I consider noise. Country music is also painful to listen to.

But I do have certain artists/bands I like in those categories.

As far as universally praised musicians then the Beatles and Prince.

Never understood the appeal.

lead singing while playing lead guitar? at least I think so. Also I dont believe clapton wrote any of the good cream songs. I think that was jack bruce who did most of them. also the production on jimi's albums was really good and ground breaking.
There's a story Clapton tells about his friendship with Townshend, it started with someone telling Townshend that this guy Jimi was ripping his whole act off. The two went to see Jimi and were blown away.

All this thread is saying is people have different tastes in music. Nothing wrong with that.That being said....

U2 sucks

B.B. King.

I hear unremarkable playing, against unremarkable rhythm sections. Every time I'm out somewhere and he comes on, I go check to see who's playing this rudimentary stuff, and of course it's BB.

Why does he have such a great rep, why is he so highly respected as a guitarist? Blues playing is all about feel and passion, and I don't hear that in his solos.

Also, and everybody *gasp*, but apart from his early, energetic electric blues material, Clapton became boring. Slowhanded. Sleep inducing.

And Korn. I have no clue why they ever got nationally known.
Hey bro Korn was my band from heaven in 6th grade. They got me into heavy shit. And I still think their first 6 or so albums were bad ass. They've drifted into a little bit of cornyness though. That's bound to happen when you have hardcore Christians in your band.

Aerosmith. They always came across as the Walmart brand of classic rock.

Aerosmith is the music definition of bland, mediocre, expendable, average, unspectacular, indifferent, passable, whatever.

B.B. King.

I hear unremarkable playing, against unremarkable rhythm sections. Every time I'm out somewhere and he comes on, I go check to see who's playing this rudimentary stuff, and of course it's BB.

Why does he have such a great rep, why is he so highly respected as a guitarist? Blues playing is all about feel and passion, and I don't hear that in his solos

I'll disagree about Jimi. As a guitarist there's no overstating where he took electric playing.

What an odd mix of posts.

The whole Grunge genre but Nirvana specifically.I didnt get it as a teen, young adult or an adult and I dont get the love that Cobain gets. Hes not a lyrical genius or a musical genius/guitar god or anything close to it and damn near every top list has them/him at the top..........album, influential,band etc.

Never could really get into Radiohead or Rush, though I appreciate the musicianship.
and I had trouble putting my finger on it until I read a comment in Jay Mohr's book "Just about every Pearl Jam song is about 40 seconds too long." great band, great musicians, just when it feels like a song should naturally end, it keeps going.
Coldplay
Ed Sheerin

What an odd mix of posts.
In my opinion BB is unremarkable. Jimi is clearly on another level. What BB did is full of technique and nuance I can recreate. The same can't be said for Jimi's guitar. I can play the notes but not the feel.
With BB's playing, he doesn't mess around with playing too far outside the pocket; his solos have a safe zone he doesn't venture much beyond. He doesn't take the chances Jimi's did.

In my opinion BB is unremarkable. Jimi is clearly on another level. What BB did is full of technique and nuance I can recreate. The same can't be said for Jimi's guitar. I can play the notes but not the feel.
With BB's playing, he doesn't mess around with playing too far outside the pocket; his solos have a safe zone he doesn't venture much beyond. He doesn't take the chances Jimi's did.

Listen to blues before and after BB King. BB King electrified the blues and modernized it the same way Jimi did rock. That's why your defense of Hendrix as "As a guitarist there's no overstating where he took electric playing." is hilarious while concurrently knocking BB King.

Listen to blues before and after BB King. BB King electrified the blues and modernized it the same way Jimi did rock. That's why your defense of Hendrix as "As a guitarist there's no overstating where he took electric playing." is hilarious while concurrently knocking BB King.
I have. I also said other things.
Relax.

Back