Bands or Artists that are underrated (hidden gems)

This guy's pretty good but I never see him getting much attention

McLusky were basically the British Pixies. Somehow they went under the radar.

Jack White made himself a nice litle gothic girl band. Sadly nobody cared.

Spotify has it with significantly better sound quality:

What are some bands/artists you've discovered/listen to that aren't as popular as they should be?

I've come across a few of these on my discover weekly on spotify

One that jumped out to me was

Not the hugest fan of the clean vocals (they aren't terrible) but instrumentally wow.

I would go with the Black Angels...

I think Injury Reserve have to be one of the most underappreciated hip hop groups around right now but I imagine they'll make it big in the near-future considering they've got a reasonably accessible sound. They've got some really funky beats and the vocals pack a lot of punch too.

Gary Floyd, who was the singer for the Texas 80's punk band The Dicks moved to San Francisco and started Sister Double Happiness.

They put out 2-3 albums before splitting up.

I would agree with this Youtube description of The Big F:

The Big F were one of the most unique bands of the late 80's early 90's. They were from LA and released their debut self titled album in 1988. Part of a new breed of original bands like Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Sons of Freedom and Voivod, they struggled to find success in an era still largely dominated by glam metal. Basically...they were just WAY ahead of their time.

Highly underrated. Amazing lyricist and top notch production.

Shiner are a super underappreciated 90's alternative band.

They never really got the attention they deserved but are one of my all time favourite artists period.

Tommy Bolin, The Kill Devil Hills, Kingston Wall

Last edited:

Man Slowdive are an amazing band. I always keep going back to their shit. I always kinda assumed they were American, but when I found out they were British I was dead proud

I only discovered this band Daughter because they did some stunning music for a video game, but I can't stop listening to their shit ever since. They're amazing. Not sure they're that big

Last edited:
I would agree with this Youtube description of The Big F:

The Big F were one of the most unique bands of the late 80's early 90's. They were from LA and released their debut self titled album in 1988. Part of a new breed of original bands like Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Sons of Freedom and Voivod, they struggled to find success in an era still largely dominated by glam metal. Basically...they were just WAY ahead of their time.

They sound like an underpoduced U2 here imo..

For me I'll always throw Unsane in these discussions because they're actually a really solid band that almost no one has heard of. If you like heavy/noise based metal/rock -these guys are the standard..

Whores is another band along the same lines that's pretty awesome, but newer..

Perhaps less so with that reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue but Dennis WIlson definitely comes to mind, the best thing Beachboys related post Pet Sounds by a country mile....

Definitely a "so that's what Mercury Rev and the Flaming Lips were listening to" moment discovering it.

Last edited:
Back