Bands the Change over Time

Tera Melos went from progressive instrumental to something else with vocals if I recall correctly...

Katatonia

Don't forget phase three.

And possibly phase four.

Pretty similar trajectory to their close friends Opeth (bandmembers from both combined as Bloodbath), Katatonia just started sooner and lost the death metal vocals entirely much sooner (Opeth hung on to them to use sporadically for a while).
I feel they have gotten too mellow and melancholy though. Viva Emptiness and Last Fair Deal were the sweet spot for me.

Ministry went from gayer than the Pet Shop Boys sucking early Depeche Mode's dick to heavy industrial metal and added a post-apocalyptic cowboy visual, which is always funny to think about.

Muse changed big time from their early stuff to their newer Queen influenced and more synthetic sound.

Lionel Richie went from get up off your ass funk to the most mellow easy listening music.

Mr. Bungle changes drastically within the same verse.

Fleetwood Mac:
Hard blues -> heavy psych -> imitation prog rock -> imitation psychedelic pop-rock -> soft rock -> pop

nine inch nails

Cant's forget about the transition from Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship.

Eagles. Went from straight Southern Rock/Country to 80's pop with Glenn and Don's solo stuff.

Slipknot. Went from corny Nu-Metal band to more traditional heavy metal. They kept the dumb horror movie gimmick, but the music IMO got a lot better with later albums.

Eminem. Went from tongue in cheek horrorcore to emo.

My Blood Valentine went from a weird Gothic rockabilly/post punk band

To a spaced out shoegaze band

Genesis. The progressive/art rock of the Peter Gabriel years to the catchy 80's top 40 pop of the Phil Collins years.

genesis_1_3051640b.jpg

c8bc9c41aefba5ae7b2ad2106d41cb7e-genesis-band-peter-gabriel-540x510.jpg

Amazing how male pattern baldness can change aman.
I came here to say "Genesis". I'm one of the few people that loves both the '70s prog rock years and the '80s pop years (yes, even the maligned Invisible Touch album).

When I was in college, I took a History of Rock Music class. The instructor showed part of Suppers Ready live with Gabriel prancing around in his flower costume. He then played the song Invisible Touch and said, "This is the same band. What happened?" No one even knew what to say... They were shocked into silence <45>

Deep Purple probably evolved more than any rock band I can think of.

Even more than Brian Ferry and Roxy Music? Or Lemmy from Hawkwind to Motorhead? Not trying to take the piss. I know legit nothing about Deep Purple...

So they use to be a hair/glam metal band? Where is Phil Anselmo?

Second from the left in the 2nd photo and 3rd from the left in the 3rd one. The first guy in the first photo is Terry Glaze, their original singer. Also, Dimebag Darrell was known as Diamond Darrell in those days.

Second from the left in the 2nd photo and 3rd from the left in the 3rd one. The first guy in the first photo is Terry Glaze, their original singer. Also, Dimebag Darrell was known as Diamond Darrell in those days.

Really does not look like him though.

Really does not look like him though.

Nothing that I nor Phil Anselmo can do anything about. The past is the past and it will always remain with you for the rest of your life. Best thing to do is not to dwell on the negative for eternity.

I always appreciated Built to Spill in that regard. Every album is noticeably different from the other but they never strayed TOO far from what made them so good.

At first some of their songs had a grungy feel to them

Right after that album they released Perfect From Now On which is guess you could call a concept album

They kept putting more and more emphasis on guitar and it made for some great songs

Their most current album might have been their weakest but it’s still decent

Back