Baret Yoshida DVDs any good?

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I know that DVD is ancient by today's standards. Thinking about getting it off budovideos. Any one seen/used his DVDs before?

dont dude they are old school shit bare didnt develop the game he has now till early 2010s back then he was high guard armbaring and triangleing people with basics

I like his set but guess competition has evolved a lot ...

in 2010 iw as doing no gi de la riva and reverse from watching vids of rafael mendes doing basic kiss of dragon and back takes coming up to singles ect and people thought i was an idiot lol then 2 years later everyones doing it in i wonder when guard passings gonna get big again seems like everyone today forgot how to pass guard no gi

in 2010 iw as doing no gi de la riva and reverse from watching vids of rafael mendes doing basic kiss of dragon and back takes coming up to singles ect and people thought i was an idiot lol then 2 years later everyones doing it in i wonder when guard passings gonna get big again seems like everyone today forgot how to pass guard no gi
It´s all cyclic.

Sure but triangles are still around and used and he’s so fast at least when
I remembered watching the DVD and he had sparring footage and it was
impressive. I don’t have this set anymore. I think someone loaned it to me as it was in the past from a classmate. What do you see as outdated? I’d like to get it again if it was available. He still competes and I respect him.

i wish hed come out with a modern dvd

iv heard crazy stories of baret he was subbing guys his first week at relsons school in hawaii back in 95 when eh first started

apparently as a blue belt he had a super fight with vitor shaolin at the time and submitted him really fast and he got mad and said lets do it again rematch and baret said no im taking that one to the bank and walked off lol

i think barets only problem in comps was that he was a purist with guard really never tried to sweep and come up and pass to take top position later on he developed his crucifix game but always shooting for those arm locks triangles would get him passed at times and hed lose on points

in no time limit type matches he does alot better

i think barets only problem in comps was that he was a purist with guard really never tried to sweep and come up and pass to take top position later on he developed his crucifix game but always shooting for those arm locks triangles would get him passed at times and hed lose on points

in no time limit type matches he does alot better

I was watching a few of Baret videos on youtube, including his highlight reels, and it seems like to me, he uses so much energy just to 'play guard' instead of sweeping and fighting from the top. And he does have a pressure style that would go well with being on top, but instead, he uses that energy to play guard because he wants to get to that crucifix position because that became his 'signature' style. I was hoping to see more sweep and just submit from him but I saw mostly crucifix, crucifix, crucifix.

I held off from buy his DVD.

I was watching a few of Baret videos on youtube, including his highlight reels, and it seems like to me, he uses so much energy just to 'play guard' instead of sweeping and fighting from the top. And he does have a pressure style that would go well with being on top, but instead, he uses that energy to play guard because he wants to get to that crucifix position because that became his 'signature' style. I was hoping to see more sweep and just submit from him but I saw mostly crucifix, crucifix, crucifix.

I held off from buy his DVD.

tbh i havent seen baret compete n years i sue to watch his matches from back n late 90s early to mid 2000s last time is aw him compete was vs gui mendes so not sure how much he has changed in the 90s he was the second best right under royler gracie pretty much all way up to adcc 2003 then leo became the king of that division

Honestly I think it is a solid set. Of course it is"old school" in todays terms but hey a strong and solid high guard with armbars and triangles is something you can always use.

I think his communication skills in front of the camera were not so good but the content was solid and I think I watched it very often, when I got it 15 years ago......

Sure but triangles are still around and used and he’s so fast at least when
I remembered watching the DVD and he had sparring footage and it was
impressive. I don’t have this set anymore. I think someone loaned it to me as it was in the past from a classmate. What do you see as outdated? I’d like to get it again if it was available. He still competes and I respect him.
I said in concordance to what another user said that the set didn´t have any crazy guard so popular today but I like his more classic tight guard style.

Back