Barrera didn't step up when Naz was in his prime

Soon as he got rid of Ingle it all went tits up for him. Even after boxing his personal life when down the shitter, stint in prison and lost his MBE... classic example of believing your own hype. Crying shame

He believed the shit people were shoveling him, barely trained, honestly thought his talent would beat anyone and no longer needed proper training camps or game plans.
When a fighter ditches his trainer, the one he's been with since 9 years old and got him to the top and decides his brothers and friends know better (they literally knew fuck all), he's going to get a rude awakening and Barrera was that awakening.
A Naseem with Brendan Ingles in his corner, training him and guiding him walks through Barrera but a Naseem that decides he knows everything and puts his dickhead brothers in charge deserves to fail.
He still managed to make a fight of it though, Naz could've been a legitimate legend, he was fucking insanely good.
If you're genuinely interested take a look at this documentary, it highlights exactly what an arrogant prick he became, I mean hiring a couple of Mexican kids to spar with in his villa for a couple of days...jesus.

He ditched Ingle for Emanuel Steward so not sure what you mean re his brothers/friends training him. He was a great fighter but always had big holes in his game. Barrera was talented enough to expose them. If Naz faced Morales/Manny/Marquez I honestly think he would have lost to them all.

He ditched Ingle for Emanuel Steward so not sure what you mean re his brothers/friends training him. He was a great fighter but always had big holes in his game. Barrera was talented enough to expose them. If Naz faced Morales/Manny/Marquez I honestly think he would have lost to them all.
Steward had barely any input though, his brothers overruled him constantly, watch the link I put up mate, it's all there and it's pretty sad.

Edit: here's a link to an interview with Manny that explains what I mean better.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/o...oxing-Hamed-living-in-a-world-of-fantasy.html

That is not correct in the slightest, he used Steward as cornerman only

That is not correct in the slightest, he used Steward as cornerman only
I just watched the video with steward saying he wasn't happy with nazs training. I'll watch the whole thing in a bit. Looks epic as fuck.

Barrera shocked Naz, then Manny shocked Barrera, then Marquez shocked Manny. everything came full circle and everyone got shocked.

Actually it's the other way around. Barrerra was the one seen to be out of his prime, then he shocked everyone by putting a schooling on Naz.
Pretty much this.

He was a name but thought to be a sitting duck and the big name on the resume of that clown.

You're not goat if you have life and death struggles with Augie Sanchez.

Naz gets beat by the top guys who can box and have a chin, Barrera's jab alone caused him grief.

Just too many holes, lack of defense and a jab IMO.

Back