Barrera vs Marquez?

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Who do you think had a better career and why?

Obviously Barrera was much better in his 20’s.

And Marquez much better in his 30’s.

I think people might forget how big the win over Hamed was at the time.

I'd say Marquez but I'm a pretty big Barrera fan and everything he did was great IMO.

Marquez by a mile.

I am a big MAB fan, but JMM for sure, in terms of career. His string of fights after Chris John is pretty spectacular and epic, if you don't include getting schooled by Floy. Epic saga with Pac, where he got a draw and some losses a lot of people thought he won, and ended up witht he brutal KO victory. He even beat MAB in a severely underrated fight. Plus the wins over Katsidis, Casamayor, Diaz x 2, Alvarado were true top tier performances. The uppercut combo that ended Diaz is one of the GOAT combos in combat sports.

Tho JMM has the better career, I like MAB more tho. I think if they had a street fight, MAB would beat the shit out of JMM. He is the type of person that knows to target his oppnents ball sack, and/or would bite their jugular out of their neck. He is not someone to fuck with, and doesnt need to drink pee pee (steroids). JMM didn't get caught tho, so I won't fault his career.

Huge fan of both. Can we not just say they were both fuckin' ace?

Fuck Barrera, idk how he got away with some of the shit he did in the ring, like punching downed opponents on multiples occasions.

Fuck Barrera, idk how he got away with some of the shit he did in the ring, like punching downed opponents on multiples occasions.

He got punished pretty harshly for hitting Marquez when he was down in their fight.

Considering he was pretty concussed when it happened.

The win over hamed seems to be way under rated here.

I think Barrera. But then I'd be biased too.

MAB was always a favorite of mine, seen him live 3 times and I always knew Barrera would beat Hamed based solely on experience, if I remeber right he had more ko’s than Hamed had fights, just never expected Barrera to outbox Hamed the way he did.

The win over hamed seems to be way under rated here.

I think Barrera. But then I'd be biased too.

I was about to say the same thing.

it was to be expected I guess that more recent events would be weighted higher.

I am a big MAB fan, but JMM for sure, in terms of career. His string of fights after Chris John is pretty spectacular and epic, if you don't include getting schooled by Floy. Epic saga with Pac, where he got a draw and some losses a lot of people thought he won, and ended up witht he brutal KO victory. He even beat MAB in a severely underrated fight. Plus the wins over Katsidis, Casamayor, Diaz x 2, Alvarado were true top tier performances. The uppercut combo that ended Diaz is one of the GOAT combos in combat sports.

Tho JMM has the better career, I like MAB more tho. I think if they had a street fight, MAB would beat the shit out of JMM. He is the type of person that knows to target his oppnents ball sack, and/or would bite their jugular out of their neck. He is not someone to fuck with, and doesnt need to drink pee pee (steroids). JMM didn't get caught tho, so I won't fault his career.
Yeah jmm vs Diaz is one of my favorites of all time

Marquez.

angel-hernandez-juan-manuel-marquez.jpg

tumblr_lra413saPX1qedb29o1_500.gif

Marquez, but not by a massive margin.

I think Marquez edges Barrera in overall resume, but he had more time. Barrera had many wars and hard fights, he was not able to sustain his career as long into his 30s as Marquez was able to do.

But as far as importance to me? Barrera by a mile, and I love JMM. The Morales trilogy and Hamed fight make him my favorite.

Back