Bas Rutten "Boxing" instructional. Corkscrew opposition!

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

"The handsome one" is opposed to corkscrew punching

crying-cormier-crying-memes.jpg

What say Sherdog? Do you cork screw?

He's just saying to keep your elbows in/down when you punch.

No that's not all he says. Watch the full clip . "I don't need to twist". "Just go straight forward."

And he does.

The thing that makes it work is keeping the elbows in/down. He does cover that part and points it out directly, as the first thing.

The twist can be done or left out and it still gets through, just keep the elbows in.

Do you think he's teaching a concept? or the textbook correct way to punch? I'd argue he's teaching the former.

For cryin out loud, he throws a vertical straight fist.

How about......

_20180516_112932.JPG

He also says that Mike Tyson doesn’t throw bare knuckled punches right.

Yeah well he got the job done... Albeit breaking his own hand. maxresdefault (2).jpg

@MadSquabbles500

That one is not really realistic... I mean a boxer winning against a Nak Mauy? That's pure nonsense...

Jesus Christ when was BR's last professional fight with a top 5 fighter?

Like last century UFC 20 1999?

MMA striking has evolved so far past those old cans who use to miss 90% of their shots in the old days!

Taking striking advice from those old timers is like taking wrestling advice from Hulk Hogan!

Can anyone explain how Bass won that fight?

Spent the whole thing on his back and looked like ground hamburger meat!

Fucking embarrassment the UFC!

Jesus Christ when was BR's last professional fight with a top 5 fighter?

Like last century UFC 20 1999?

MMA striking has evolved so far past those old cans who use to miss 90% of their shots in the old days!

Taking striking advice from those old timers is like taking wrestling advice from Hulk Hogan!

Can anyone explain how Bass won that fight?

Spent the whole thing on his back and looked like ground hamburger meat!

Fucking embarrassment the UFC!

Yeah I know. It has been argued that bas hurt randleman so much even in a defensive position that it evened out.

Btw, Bas Ruttens takedown defence is pretty non existent his entire carrier. He stands upright and just gets taken down over and over again.

He says the problem is with improper corkscrew punches, and that they are very common.
He is teaching a vertical straight punch, focusing on keeping the elbow in, and shows a perk with it over a improper corkscrew.
The punch he is teaching is a basic one in kyokushin karate where he originates (although the corkscrew one is taught there aswell -and is much more common), but it it is certainly not unknown in boxing.

Some boxers use it more than other. Ali sometimes used it. Oldtime champ Jack Dempsey loved it and could not praise it enough.

Rutten simply prefer the vertical version.

Last edited:
He says the problem is with improper corkscrew punches, and that they are very common.
He is teaching a vertical straight punch, focusing on keeping the elbow in, and shows a perk with it over a improper corkscrew.
The punch he is teaching is a basic one in kyokushin karate where he originates (although the corkscrew one is taught there aswell -and is much more common), but it it is certainly not unknown in boxing.

Some boxers use it more than other. Ali sometimes used it. Oldtime champ Jack Dempsey loved it and could not praise it enough.

Rutten simply prefer the vertical version.

"The common standard in boxing gyms nowadays is to turn the hands over for a horizontal fist. They do allow exceptions but generally the horizontal fist is preferred. The horizontal-fisted punch is the default technique in virtually all major boxing gyms. It is the standard belief of today’s boxer.

Go into any boxing gym today and your coach will most likely tell you to turn the hand over. I’ve found this to be more practical and realistic of boxing condition"

If you don't turn it over, you got yourself a wing-chun punch. Doing combos with vertical punches = wing chun 'chain punching'. Good luck holding your ground in boxing with only vertical punches, if you try it I wont make fun of you or get mad. Just report back after a few sessions and tell us how it worked for you.

It's fine to experiment, unless your coach is trying to instruct you at that moment on something specific and you only want to 'do your own thing'. Then you need to find ANOTHER gym where you'll do the same thing, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

My new coach explicitly told me that vertical hooks used to be banned by him. He stated now that they are okey here and there. But that's it

My Past coach did not allow vertical punching at all.

My new coach explicitly told me that vertical hooks used to be banned by him. He stated now that they are okey here and there. But that's it

My Past coach did not allow vertical punching at all.

Vertical hooks are pretty common in boxing. What does he say about vertical straight punches? That's where it gets more unorthodox. I want to see someone try a vertical rear punch who isn't a 3 year old or girl who hits her bf that way for a dream she had where he was cheating on her.

Back