baseball choke defense and escape?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
Hey what's up all,

being at the bottom and your opponent has side mount assuming the grips are already established on your collar, how would you defend against his attempt to a baseball choke?

I usually try to keep the hands from getting grips. Once they do I also try to keep the elbows from coming together. I found this video but have not tried it myself.

once they have the two hands in, you can reduce the effectiveness of their choke by putting your head onto their chest. You have to keep your ear glued to them, and it becomes difficult to finish (difficult, not impossible). This can buy you some time to escape or break. This works best when you are on top, almost useless from the bottom of a knee-ride. I've used this on people who bait a guard pass hoping that they will be able to baseball bat choke me. Go for the pass really slowly so that I can control where my body and theirs end up, and then smash my ear into their chest and hold on with both arms. Don't let them have a single inch of separation with which to apply the choke.

prevention is much better though.

Hey what's up all,

being at the bottom and your opponent has side mount assuming the grips are already established on your collar, how would you defend against his attempt to a baseball choke?
If you let him get grips on you, you fucked up a while ago bro

If you let him get grips on you, you fucked up a while ago bro

Yeah, you're in pretty deep shit if they have grips like in the video. More or less anything you do is stalling at that point. Beyond trying to keep their elbow from driving forward and hoping they give up, there's not much in the way of a high-percentage recourse. That counter in the video is something to try for, but I wouldn't expect it to work reliably. A better attacker won't knee slide over the shoulder like that and will instead pin the elbow or biceps, which makes this counter much less obtainable.

Press his elbows together and hold them tight to your chest. To finish the choke his elbow needs to go perpendicular to your neck, if you can stop that you will be fine.

1: Fight hands.

2: If he has a same side grip into your far collar, you can in theory bring your knee inside and armbar him.

3: If he has a same side grip on your near collar, you can gable grip over his elbow and bridge him over top of you. Then again, I've attempted this on a guy with an extremely good baseball choke before, and he finished me from the bottom.

Back