Reaction score
One of my Goon friends, (this one)

1912136_704674639571418_3909185316891049095_o_zpsmlrglf9g.jpg

20160817_181433_resized_2_zpsfvfkywyp.jpg

Decided to upgrade from his Dan Wesson
20160817_181414_resized_2_zpselygbnot.jpg

To a new used 70 series Custom Colt:

23157_zpsfjwfzhzl.jpeg

Said he recognized it as a gun he worked on back in the early 80s, and just had to have it.

He's running a Practical Pistol Match at his Range this Saturday, so in honor of him having something decent again, (before he rags it out) .

Through copious amounts of shit talking he's shamed me into agreeing to shoot the match.

Now I'm Competitively jazzed.

I've pulled my old 1911 out and am gonna it, and if I can somehow get close to his score I'll be able to point and laugh, since he's the pistol guy and I'm not.

DSC00058.jpg

Been shooting XDs for the past couple years, so I'm also interested to see if I can still hit the side of a mule with the ol 1911.

Found my old leather holster for it, bunch of old mags, and one dual mag holder.

Phil_resized_zpsc8c67a78.jpg

I still can't believe your buddy basically trashed a Dan Wesson

Also, in that first pic your friend almost looks like Chibs from Sons of Anarchy

I still can't believe your buddy basically trashed a Dan Wesson

I tell him he should get s contract testing Special Forces Combat gear. Anything that can survive his ass would surely survive Seal Team Six!

Of all the people, they had to find him! Ha!

He said they cut his mic like 20 times due to language....

Finished 2nd place out of a field of 10 imbeciles. (not a huge turn out!)

Overall, pretty fun. Gotta lotta holes in my skills from not keeping up with them.

Lucky for me the stages were simple, and the field was weak!

Buddy's new used $1000 colt 45 broke so he shot my 45, (& ammo).

1st stage was from 10 yards, a hostage target. Shoot 5 shots on the zeroing target (high left), then 1 shot each on bad guy.

20170520_132650_resized_zps89jyuozn.jpg

3 shots into the sighting target and I was thinking, (you need to crawl in a hole if you're gonna do that shit all day). Kept shooting high.

Started bottom right hostage, ok then started shooting high again. !!!!!

Lucky this stage wasn't counted for score.

1st scored stage:

20170520_091453_resized_zpsaqtq3jiu.jpg

Pretty fundamental, draw shoot half the targets from one corner of the barricade, rest from the other side. 16 shots total.

Here's the goon shooting my 45
20170520_094600_resized_zpsg7jirop4.jpg

Gun shot high for him too.

Stage #2

2 shots per target
20170520_092902_resized_zpsfkwqm2it.jpg

From window of a vehicle
20170520_100955_resized_zpsx6bn0i7t.jpg

Stage #3
Start gun on table 1 mag on the side. 2 shots on 3 bad guy targets, (one's partially covered) reload stand up and 2 shots per targets in the back.
20170520_101704_resized_zpszpwuvscu.jpg

Stage#4
20170520_104829_resized_zps4a6fts82.jpg

Start hand on barricade, 2 shots per target rightside, same other side. Move to closer Barricade, repeat same drill.

Last edited:
After 1 stage my aim started coming back.

20170520_100541_resized_zpsukygtsdf.jpg

20170520_100537_resized_zps3po7l8ip.jpg

In my mind I was thinking , front sight (SHOOT) trigger prep, (SHOOT) (GO, SHOOT GET ON THE FUCKING TRIGGER NOW)

My draw was sloppy, mag changes clumsy, concentration driving the gun, (front sight from target to target) was pretty fucked up, no harmony to anything. My shit was weak! Ha. I need to fix my isses before doing another one of these, I'm currently inferior.

20170519_190543_resized_zpsj4qhdxtk.jpg

I did stage 3 in 10.5 seconds, all center zone hits. A Surprise. My Buddy shot it in 10.4 but got 4 penalty seconds added for sloppy shooting, (Said it wasn't his gun!)

One old guy shot pretty good and was pretty squared away, course he did better than me. 3 of the guys were 1st time match shooters, the others just needed work on their skills.

If more of the regular club match shooters showed up, I'd have been further down the list.

Interesting you put someone in front of others, add a little bit of stress with a stop watch, and they find all sorts of ways to screw up.

On stage 3 one guy started from left to right and put 2 in the hostage's head.

Another stage some guy shot two mags (glock) had steel left and just quit the stage.

Couple shooters spent enormous amounts of time mag changing, or aiming, or getting on the trigger, or transitioning to the next target.

Put in a order for 1000 200gr semi wadcutters
ht_idp1.jpg

Going to try some Vihtavouri N320 pistol powder too:

18885.jpg

Also interested trying one of these matches with an XD, see if I drop off, or do similar.

Gotta work on my Skillz doh. Accuracy, speed, the whole 9 yards.

I wanna bring it, but I gotta have something to bring!

These kinda matches are enjoyable you guys should try one sometimes.

Match looked fun. What broke on the Colt

Extractor.

Personally I think that thing of his looks a bit worn for the $1000 he dropped on it.

He'll prolly sink another $500 in it before its solid again.

On another note I going to try an convince my gunsmith brother to port a couple pistols for me this weekend. Got a Filipino Commander, and an older XD45.

This looks like the simplest form of a port job out there, so maybe he'll do it, and not simply tell me to jam it.
Custom_XD-40_V-10.jpg

So got my Cheap Filipino Commander Ported over the weekend:

20170602_162715_resized_zpsby2no3tf.jpg

20170603_114120_resized_zpstuku4gph.jpg

20170604_141030_resized_zpsjpjdt5pi.jpg

This was as down and dirty do, since it was free work by my brother.

To be sure there are better ways to port through a slide and barrel, (for greater recoil reduction) I went with the simplest and quickest.

Slide port was not 90 degrees to the round of the slide so the slot came in square. Holes in the barrel were 90 degrees to the contour, so good enough.

How was it?

It did make the recoil a bit softer. Not enough to have to change out the main spring to a lighter variant, but it did take the bite out of the recoil.

Would it worth paying money for? Depends on your gun. The barrel fit in my Commander isn't very good, and the porting exaggerates its by adding pressure that moves the "lose fit" barrel down, causing the shots to go low.

My immediate remedy was to switch to some massively hot loaded rounds which helped the point of aim, but didn't do any favors to the recoil reduction.

To make this thing actually decent I need a fit barrel. Not sure I want to spend any money on this tho-down so it might stay as is.

I handed it to my buddy, and that fucker shot pretty good with it, far better than I could!!!!!!

Bugger.

If I personally were to do anything to my 1911 to mitigate recoil I think I'd drop a compensator on the front more

If I personally were to do anything to my 1911 to mitigate recoil I think I'd drop a compensator on the front more

Absolutely, none of this other shit compares to a real comp, with a cone lockup and the front sight stuck on it.

If it wasn't for this being my designated POS gun, and all the money I already spent on motorcycles n other shit this year I wouldn't have fucked with it prolly.

On the bright side I only had to listen to my brother cursing about me and my: "Free work on Dog-shit again" for less than a day. So not too bad. More nagging is the gun not shooting point of aim, but I'll just have to aim high.

Its good enough for a camping gun, (keep a bear from coming into your tent and tryin to hump your leg, or worse).

Back