Battles of posture + positioning:

You don't need your heels raised. Usually for beginning position I prefer a cat-step, back foot down, front heel lifted. This way when you step forward you can roll onto the toe of the back foot, and then back onto the heel as needs be.

You don't need your heels raised. Usually for beginning position I prefer a cat-step, back foot down, front heel lifted. This way when you step forward you can roll onto the toe of the back foot, and then back onto the heel as needs be.

So the backfoot heel can touch the ground?

Not really, without a visual it's very difficult.

So if the backfoot heel can touch the ground. Why do so many people say it needs to be raised? Is there a difficulty in rotating for the cross?

So if the backfoot heel can touch the ground. Why do so many people say it needs to be raised? Is there a difficulty in rotating for the cross?

Because many people don't know what Classical boxing is.

wait Sinister, are you saying the old school boxing stance has the back foot heel down?!?!?!? because everywhere Ive been to, they teach front foot down and back foot heel up, on the ball of the foot... one explicitely said that the back heel should never touch the ground...

you even say front heel up? like a muay thai stance? am I getting this right because it sounds really weird... never seen a fighter fight like this, how are you supposed to pivot your back foot for the rear hand punches??

wait Sinister, are you saying the old school boxing stance has the back foot heel down?!?!?!? because everywhere Ive been to, they teach front foot down and back foot heel up, on the ball of the foot... one explicitely said that the back heel should never touch the ground...

you even say front heel up? like a muay thai stance? am I getting this right because it sounds really weird... never seen a fighter fight like this, how are you supposed to pivot your back foot for the rear hand punches??

By... lifting your heel?

The man said the heel can be down, not that it must never leave the ground.

By... lifting your heel?

The man said the heel can be down, not that it must never leave the ground.

well it does make it complicated alot if thats your regular stance... also, wouldnt it leave you a bit flat flooted?

well it does make it complicated alot if thats your regular stance... also, wouldnt it leave you a bit flat flooted?

I don't understand how it makes things complicated. Stance is not something you should be stuck in. It is a position to move out of and return to; your stance changes in some way every time you throw a strike, or it should. By the same logic, wouldn't keeping the front foot flat prevent you from throwing hooks? Of course not, because when you need to pivot you lift your heel, or lift the ball of your foot to pivot on your heel.

Also, it's okay to be flat footed sometimes.

I don't understand how it makes things complicated. Stance is not something you should be stuck in. It is a position to move out of and return to; your stance changes in some way every time you throw a strike, or it should. By the same logic, wouldn't keeping the front foot flat prevent you from throwing hooks? Of course not, because when you need to pivot you lift your heel, or lift the ball of your foot to pivot on your heel.

Also, it's okay to be flat footed sometimes.

uhm when you get the technique down, you can throw your left hook without pivoting, just using the hip... you could do the same on the cross but its basically doing what Im doing just backwards...

I just find this weird for boxing... I guess in muay thai you can switch to this stance to check kicks...

So you always stand with your lead foot flat and your rear heel raised, and you never pivot on hooks?

So you always stand with your lead foot flat and your rear heel raised, and you never pivot on hooks?

If I want to really sit on the punch, I put my back foot heel down and raise the front heel to pivot... But usually I dont, so my combos flow better and I can go in & out smoother

Being "light" with your footwork is such an overrated concept. Whenever i try to be "light" , my weight keep floating elsewhere and make it hard to sit down on punches, not to mention that it made me lean forward more. No wonder why Sinister never seemed to correct my footworks that most Sherdog thought it is "flat-footed"

Being "light" with your footwork is such an overrated concept. Whenever i try to be "light" , my weight keep floating elsewhere and make it hard to sit down on punches, not to mention that it made me lean forward more. No wonder why Sinister never seemed to correct my footworks that most Sherdog thought it is "flat-footed"

well I like to be able to jump on my bycicle at any time... you can still sit down on your punches at the right time, and then be light on your feet... not saying you have to use unnecessary movement (one example of someone who DOESNT sit on his punches and just keeps moving is Dominick Cruz), but be ready to switch angles or get out of range of a strike....

Not if you rotate correctly.

I don't think I said that exactly. What I said was that the heel doesn't have to be raised at all times. Previously to my learning about alternating heel lifting, I'd always been told to be on the toes at all times, which is not only unrealistic, but it also can lend to exacerbating problems of hip-rotation and/or leg deformities (someone being duck-footed, or pigeon-toed). The more on your toes you are, the more of a detriment these problems will be to your technique, if the problem is not corrected.

Turning into rear hand punches is simply a matter of rolling from the heel to the toe. Just like you do when you walk. If your weight moves utilizing your entire foot, it's going to land a lot harder than if you already begin as far forward on your foot as you can get.

But don't worry, I'm going to post a video not too long from now that kind of demonstrates how to incorporate this.

You still do need corrections. You're a bit far on the other side, however, this is more a function of your lack of hip-flexibility than it is about how you stand.

You still do need corrections. You're a bit far on the other side, however, this is more a function of your lack of hip-flexibility than it is about how you stand.

Gotcha. from what i've seen, my hips had been loosen up a bit more as when i try to do the tile exercise the rear hip don't tighten up as much as it used to be. Although whether or not i improved will remain to be seen.

Back