Bavaria orders public buildings to have crucifix as of 01 July.

As I have always said, Bavaria is the last remaining bastion of pride in Mad Cow Land.

The new Prime Minister (Ministerpräsident) of Germany's best region ordered that, as a statement in favor of the "region's identity and cultural imprint", crucifix shall be hanged from public buildings

It should not, however, be seen as a religious sign and the state shall remain secular.

Fuck yeah. I am not even a practicing catholic but that's exactly how I see religion's role in a modern society.

As a way to enforce identity and social cohesion.

Of course, the Liberal Party (FDP) was quick to react, with its head Christian Lindner hyperventilating on Twitter with Erdogan comparaisons.

Discuss immediately.

https://www.merkur.de/politik/protest-gegen-kruzifixe-an-universitaet-regensburg-zr-9813525.html

lol this is like when sluts wear crosses.

The point is that the cross is a middle eastern symbol just like Islam.

You like to make this point but who cares ?

Seriously, Christianity defines the roots of Western civilisation. Who cares whether it originally came from the ME ?

You like to make this point but who cares ?

Seriously, Christianity defines the roots of Western civilisation. Who cares whether it originally came from the ME ?

No, it doesnt.

You, and a lot of people like you, are simply too detached from actual Christians and love to fantasize a lot about christianity.

Real christianity is just as backwards as Islam in general, Islam just looks worse because of Wahabism and because Christianity has lost a lot of political power.

I didn't realise the majority of German Christians were Catholic until I just looked it up. I figured they were Lutheran, but I guess that was just from my own anecdotal experience.
I have no problem with religion in public (as opposed to the French model of secularism), but this seems very predictably reflexive and reactionary.

No, it doesnt.

You, and a lot of people like you, are simply too detached from actual Christians and love to fantasize a lot about christianity.

Real christianity is just as backwards as Islam in general, Islam just looks worse because of Wahabism and because Christianity has lost a lot of political power.

What do you mean "people like you "...

As I have always said, Bavaria is the last remaining bastion of pride in Mad Cow Land.

The new Prime Minister (Ministerpräsident) of Germany's best region ordered that, as a statement in favor of the "region's identity and cultural imprint", crucifix shall be hanged from public buildings

It should not, however, be seen as a religious sign and the state shall remain secular.

Fuck yeah. I am not even a practicing catholic but that's exactly how I see religion's role in a modern society.

Of course, the Liberal Party (FDP) was quick to react, with its head Christian Lindner hyperventilating on Twitter with Erdogan comparaisons.

Discuss immediately.

https://www.merkur.de/politik/protest-gegen-kruzifixe-an-universitaet-regensburg-zr-9813525.html

My family originates from Bavaria. Now they just have to secede from the 4th reich.

Bavaria is cool, was there for Oktoberfest and southern part on Austria border last year. They're standoffish and don't like the rest of Germany (Prussia), its their own subculture there

You want the West to act more like the Middle East?

In eastern European countries crucifixes displayed in public buildings is a norm. If a country is proud of their religion values then whether is Middle East, Europe, America or China makes no difference to me. I treat each country values with respect and if my neighbour wants to for example every visitor to bow down before enter the house thats up to him.

Discuss immediately.

Good show! But odds are this is just window dressing.

No, it doesnt.

European legal systems (Common law and continental) are largely based on Christian theology. Christianity has played a tremendous role in European development.

I didn't realise the majority of German Christians were Catholic until I just looked it up. I figured they were Lutheran, but I guess that was just from my own anecdotal experience.
I have no problem with religion in public (as opposed to the French model of secularism), but this seems very predictably reflexive and reactionary.

Southern Germanic people are pretty hardcore catholic, it just isn’t obvious without visiting those regions.

In Austria, you need to pay a portion of your salary to the church or you’re excommunicated and can’t marry in the church (the only decent way to do it there). So basically the whole native Austrian population pays a few percent of their income to the Catholic Church. If you want to live there, it’s best to identify as an atheist of official records or the church will track you down.

If you decide not to pay but then want to identify as a catholic again to marry in a church they will ask you for all the missed church tax.

Sounds crazy, but I guess it explains why their baroque churches, cathedrals and monasteries are maintained to such a high standard.

Southern Germanic people are pretty hardcore catholic, it just isn’t obvious without visiting those regions.

In Austria, you need to pay a portion of your salary to the church or you’re excommunicated and can’t marry in the church (the only decent way to do it there). So basically the whole native Austrian population pays a few percent of their income to the Catholic Church. If you want to live there, it’s best to identify as an atheist of official records or the church will track you down.

If you decide not to pay but then want to identify as a catholic again to marry in a church they will ask you for all the missed church tax.

Sounds crazy, but I guess it explains why their baroque churches, cathedrals and monasteries are maintained to such a high standard.

Yeah, that's nuts. I do recall a story about a German Bishop being booted for spending millions on his home renovations. I guess that requires a fairly large flock...

Damn I though tithing is already a thing of the past.

In eastern European countries crucifixes displayed in public buildings is a norm. If a country is proud of their religion values then whether is Middle East, Europe, America or China makes no difference to me. I treat each country values with respect and if my neighbour wants to for example every visitor to bow down before enter the house thats up to him.

You want Western Europe to act more like Eastern Europe?

European legal systems (Common law and continental) are largely based on Christian theology. Christianity has played a tremendous role in European development.

???

civil law is based on roman law.

common law is based on english customs and it was opposed to canonical law, which is based on roman law.

Common law has little basis in theology, lol.

And I'm not sure that continental does either, although I'm less familiar with it.

Back