BBC 2: Lost Boys Whats Going Wrong For Asian Men?

sweede

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bg2k06

Over the last few years, the story we have been hearing about British Asian men has been overwhelmingly negative. But for some British Asian communities there are real problems. In this personal film, Mehreen Baig, a British-Pakistani woman, goes behind the headlines and meets a range of young men to understand their experiences of growing up in modern Britain.

As a state school teacher, Mehreen saw British Asian boys from some communities falling behind. Now she wants to know why there are such huge disparities in how well different communities have integrated into the UK, why some are faring better than others in jobs and education, and why women from South Asian backgrounds are now outstripping their male peers. Mehreen begins her journey with British-Pakistani men. She travels to Bradford, which has the highest proportion of Pakistani residents of any British city. Here, there are signs that young British-Pakistani men are struggling - youth unemployment stands at 26% (nationwide the figure is 12%), and drug crime has risen in recent years, with British-Pakistani men making up a disproportionate number of convictions.

Mehreen meets young men such as 17-year-old Luqman, who lives in one of the most deprived areas of the country, and who has been supporting his family since the age of 13 by working six days a week. And she talks to Nav, who grew up locally and left for university before dropping out. He gives Mehreen an insight into some of the attitudes that prevail around education in the community, and suggests some reasons why British-Pakistani boys are one of the worst performing groups at GCSE, and British-Pakistani girls are now outperforming them. And she meets some of the young recruits to a new business enterprise which is attracting lots of British-Pakistani men in the city.

Setting the statistics in a historical context, Mehreen explores the story of Pakistani immigration to the northern towns of Britain, and how the closure of the mills and factories continues to influence the prospects of third and fourth-generation British-Pakistani men today.

In Leicester, Mehreen meets British-Gujaratis like Paven, who is following in his family tradition of entrepreneurship, and at the age of just 18, is already running his third business. Mehreen learns about the history of Indian Gujarati immigration to the UK from Uganda, and how they brought with them a tradition for trade and commerce that has helped them establish successful businesses here. They are now one of the highest earning ethnic minority groups in the UK, and Mehreen wonders whether this economic success has allowed greater integration. In fact, Guajarati's are far more likely than any other British Asian group to live in multi-ethnic neighbourhoods and are twice as likely as British-Pakistanis to marry outside their ethnic group.

Parle is another young British-Gujarati man, who is building a career as a writer and performer with online videos that playfully satirise some of the stereotypes within his own community. Mehreen talks to him about the expectations placed on young Asian men in Britain, and the link between financial security and cultural openness. Finally, Mehreen travels to Mirpur in predominantly rural Kashmir, where it is estimated that 70% of British-Pakistani families originate from, to understand how that community's immigration story began. There, she meets a grandfather who was one of the first wave of immigrants to Britain in the 1960s, and some younger British-Pakistanis who are now making that same epic journey in reverse - returning to Pakistan from Britain in search of a better life there.

A bit misleading title. I was expecting asians like in EAST-asian looking guys and their hardship with the other sex and the lack of babies in Japan.

Anyway. There have been some focus on Sweden lately on this site, and as always it is always easy to riducle us Swedes on this site. And it is always about how we handle the invasion of muslims as you describe it.

This docu is made by a woman from Pakistan and dealing with male pakistani in England and in particular from Bradford.

It´s some depressing stuff to see, and you get some real honest commentary from the first generation and how they see the young of today. And it is not nice things they have to say.

I really enjoy watching documentary films and I´m a subscriber of BBC channels and I really think they have some good stuff in this department. It feels fresh, and as always I´m a good listener when natives comments on themself.

If you have 60 minutes, watch this. Sweden dwarfs in comparsion to what the Brits are dealing with.

"Asians"
giphy.gif

They peaceful by any chance?

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

I just skimmed through what you posted...

Boys across the western world are falling behind in academics.
Sites things that typically disproportionately affects men, like the closing of manufacturing jobs as a possible contributing cause, as if it doesn't affect other men.

Weird to care only about one subsection, but there might be some interesting and helpful info in her study

70% of British Pakistani couples are cousins. Congenital defects and lower IQ is the result.

Asian, asian and asian. They call themself asian all the time in the docu. Do you native brits also call people from Pakistan asians?

It just don´t sound right in my ears. If I see one that is pakistani looking walking on the street, the first thought on mine would not be Asian. I would more likely think of him as an Indian coming from the northwest part of India.

If you have 60 minutes, watch this. Sweden dwarfs in comparsion to what the Brits are dealing with.

Whoa whoa whoa, What are Brits "dealing with"?

Swedens population size is 1/7 that of the UK and your citizenship is far more homogeneous than the UK has been in nearly a hundred years. Britain has had mass, multicultural immigration from all corners of the globe for nearly 70 years. Integration has actually went really well, the Pakistani Muslim community seems to be the only one that lags far behind all others.

As for comparing Sweden's immigration problems to Britain's, give it another 20 years of mass tolerance and importing of the third world and we'll see where Sweden stand in comparison. It's not even a comparison you can begin to make as of right now. The immigration that mainland European countries are currently facing from the Middle East/Asia, Britain has been accepting of for well over half a century (and continues to be a highly desired destination for Indians, Pakistanis etc.,)

These problems you see Pakistani males having in Britain, you'll all have to look forward to across Europe from your new arrivals, just give it time.

Whoa whoa whoa, What are Brits "dealing with"?

Swedens population size is 1/7 that of the UK and your citizenship is far more homogeneous than the UK has been in nearly a hundred years. Britain has had mass, multicultural immigration from all corners of the globe for nearly 70 years. Integration has actually went really well, the Pakistani Muslim community seems to be the only one that lags far behind all others.

As for comparing Sweden's immigration problems to Britain's, give it another 20 years of mass tolerance and importing of the third world and we'll see where Sweden stand in comparison. It's not even a comparison you can begin to make as of right now. The immigration that mainland European countries are currently facing from the Middle East/Asia, Britain has been accepting of for well over half a century (and continues to be a highly desired destination for Indians, Pakistanis etc.,)

These problems you see Pakistani males having in Britain, you'll all have to look forward to across Europe from your new arrivals, just give it time.

I was not thinking of immigration as a whole, more to the gargantus areas you have just containing one singular homogeneous people, and in this case Pakistani. They also called it mini-Pakistan. While we in Sweden have areas largley housing people from other countries, but it is a mixed soup, blending people from all parts of Africa, mideast and India and Pakistan.

It is also interesting you mention Pakistani muslims as the ones that lags behind. They are also showing people from Gujarat and they tend to blend in much better and as they themself, being modern and moving to a first world country, you need to adapt to get along.

And to see the myriads of young Pakistani males hanging around on the super market parking spot and making noice with their cars. You don´t see that in Sweden. It just all seems so, Neanderthal.

8J2IQtA.jpg

hOhwqFx.jpg

Who would have thought that cousin fucking barbarians might lag behind Westerners in a Western country?

Do we really need to research why water is wet?

Asian has historically been the term used in the UK for people from the Indian Sub continent (Pakistan, Bangladesh and India essentially). As this also included large amounts of Sikhs, Hindus, Jains etc it is not just an attempt to avoid using the term Muslim.

I was not thinking of immigration as a whole, more to the gargantus areas you have just containing one singular homogeneous people, and in this case Pakistani. They also called it mini-Pakistan. While we in Sweden have areas largley housing people from other countries, but it is a mixed soup, blending people from all parts of Africa, mideast and India and Pakistan.

It is also interesting you mention Pakistani muslims as the ones that lags behind. They are also showing people from Gujarat and they tend to blend in much better and as they themself, being modern and moving to a first world country, you need to adapt to get along.

And to see the myriads of young Pakistani males hanging around on the super market parking spot and making noice with their cars. You don´t see that in Sweden. It just all seems so, Neanderthal.

Large areas of one ethnic minority is the result of mass immigration. These people aren't all placed together, they move to be surrounded by people of their own kind. Just as "white flight" is the phenomena of white people leaving these areas in droves, the same goes for Minorities arriving. Whether we like it or not, people tend to like to be surrounded by familiar faces and familiar culture. Bradford does have a large population of Pakistanis but most multicultural areas in Britain are of the melting pot variety you describe in Sweden, especially in cities like London, Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham etc.,

Of all the minority groups I've worked with, Pakistani males are by far the least integrated and least willing to integrate. Mass migration of Indians has happened at the same rate and same time frames as Pakistani immigration yet you don't see anywhere near the same amount of problems from Indian/British Indian communities.

Neanderthal is the right word, but the characteristics they display are what you will get with young, bored, immature men with no purpose or direction in life. You see the same scenes up and down town centres across Britain, from White and Black British groups. It's a cultural failing, and a failing of young men in general, regardless of ethnicity.

Last edited:
Large areas of one ethnic minority is the result of mass immigration. These people aren't all placed together, they move to be surrounded by people of their own kind. Just as "white flight" is the phenomena of white people leaving these areas in droves, the same goes for Minorities. Whether we like it or not, people tend to like to be surrounded by familiar faces and familiar culture. Bradford does have a large population of Pakistanis but most multicultural areas in Britain are of the melting pot variety you describe in Sweden, especially in cities like London, Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham etc.,

Of all the minority groups I've worked with, Pakistani males are by far the least integrated and least willing to integrate. Mass migration of Indians has happened at the same rate and same time frames as Pakistani immigration yet you don't see anywhere near the same amount of problems from Indian/British Indian communities.

Neanderthal is the right word, but the characteristics they display are what you will get with young, bored, immature men with no purpose or direction in life. You see the same scenes up and down town centres across Britain, from White and Black British groups. It's a cultural failing, and a failing of young men in general, regardless of ethnicity.

Great post!

Much appreciated.

Who would have thought that cousin fucking barbarians might lag behind Westerners in a Western country?

Do we really need to research why water is wet?

What a blatant racist crap post.

Did you read that people from Gujarat, who are muslims aswell are doing very fine in England? They even drink bear and accept marriage outside of their community.

People like you, who pull all over a comb are the real barbarians of this world.

Did you read that people from Gujarat, who are muslims aswell are doing very fine in England? They even drink bear and accept marriage outside of their community.

People like you, who pull all over a comb are the real barbarians of this world.

What kind of bear do they drink? Black bear or grizzly? But good on the people from Gujarat. Not fucking your cousins is the right thing to do.

Not very "Asian" looking...
1218101.jpg

Britain just needs the Frog Brothers to sort this out...
Frog-Brothers-620.jpg

What kind of bear do they drink? Black bear or grizzly? But good on the people from Gujarat. Not fucking your cousins is the right thing to do.

Nitpicking are we not? Ofcourse I meant BEER. And to your knowledge, they were drinking Tiger beer in the programme.

Huh? What he said is a fact. Not just in the UK either. There is no single issue that needs dealing with immediately then that of inbreeding among Muslims. The UK is particularly bad because of the relatively small community and the birth defects and low IQs are well understood results. If you can't deal with reality then return to the cave.

Asian, asian and asian. They call themself asian all the time in the docu. Do you native brits also call people from Pakistan asians?

It just don´t sound right in my ears. If I see one that is pakistani looking walking on the street, the first thought on mine would not be Asian. I would more likely think of him as an Indian coming from the northwest part of India.
Maybe it's specific to Russian language but your post is sounds kinda crazy to me. Like saying - this guy is not European he is Swiss/Scottish/Slovakian.
But maybe it's because part of Russia is in Asia, so saying that Indian/Pakistani is not Asian sounds kinda crazy. Like, is Pakistan a part of Africa or North America?
But also I was kinda surprised when I've seen here that during discussion of some mma/boxing/kickboxing event people didn't call some fighter from something-stan Asian.

Back