Becoming a MMA/UFC fighter is a really bad career choice. Here is why:

there are very few jobs you could do instead where you would be "set for life" in your early 30s.

The vast majority of MMA fighters are not set for life in their early 30s. Meanwhile, they're taking damage to the brain and not investing their time in another career.

If they're making more than the national average working far fewer hours, that sounds like a pretty decent career choice.

They're not working far fewer hours; they train everyday and do promo.

It's not like they were going to be a CEO at google, but decided to fight on UFC prelims instead.

They wouldn't have to be a CEO at Google in order to make the same amount they make in the UFC, working a career that doesn't end when you're 35 or 40 and doesn't tear up your brain.

U.S. News and World Report: "General construction workers earned an average of $36,550 in 2015, while painters made $40,540 and carpenters made $46,780. Electricians earned a comparable average salary to plumbers of $55,590 in 2015."

Thing is most careers don't require you jumping all the way to the top in a few years, since most careers will last about 30-40 years. MMA does not. And again even the average income of all americans (including McDonalds, people on wellfare etc.) is close to the average income of a UFC fighter.
That's good because you can't jump to the top, yet you could in MMA. Minimum wage and below is like 3% of the population. You're also not considering what the options are for these fighters. A lot of them are pretty damn stupid and don't have other options, and you're also not considering that many aren't American. The average income in Brazil is like $650/month, so that $42,000 is suddenly looking pretty good.

you cant put a price of standing in that ring or octagon, getting your hand raised in victory

Sure you can. The UFC does it every single time a person signs a contract.

That's good because you can't jump to the top, yet you could in MMA. Minimum wage and below is like 3% of the population. You're also not considering what the options are for these fighters. A lot of them are pretty damn stupid and don't have other options, and you're also not considering that many aren't American. The average income in Brazil is like $650/month, so that $42,000 is suddenly looking pretty good.

That much is true.. but apart from Brazil most fighters come from pretty rich countries. For those taking the risk of becoming a MMA fighter is not worth it imo.

The vast majority of MMA fighters are not set for life in their early 30s. Meanwhile, they're taking damage to the brain and not investing their time in another career.

They wouldn't have to be a CEO at Google in order to make the same amount they make in the UFC, working a career that doesn't end when you're 35 or 40 and doesn't tear up your brain.

U.S. News and World Report: "General construction workers earned an average of $36,550 in 2015, while painters made $40,540 and carpenters made $46,780. Electricians earned a comparable average salary to plumbers of $55,590 in 2015."

Yeah this i guess :)

<mma4>

Why would they do it if it's such hard work with no payoff and tons of better opportunities? Do you know better than them what the better choice for them would be? They chose to be fighters for a reason. Construction and painters both make less, according to your numbers, and they can't then open a gym and advertise their business as "construction veteran".

What job do you have where you can take month-long vacations several times/year and make your own work hours?

Fighting is a crazy job that you shouldn't get into for money. Average pay should be higher to attract talent and make the sport grow, which leads to better quality of fights. Still, higher average pay will never lead to fame and fortune, but more temporary security.

But for a young dude who's on the fence the goal shouldn't be to get rich, but fight for glory and the money comes with it. Or doesn't, but at least he tried. True fighters like Chuck and even later Conor wanted to be the best first, then they got paid and a bunch of stuff happened which led to it becoming a business for life for them.

True, but this career gives you permanent injuries, brain damage etc. If that is your choice then that is your choice, that much is true.

Live fast die young

Who the fuck wants to be old anyway

Most sports only pay well to the top players, talent pool in "ball" team sports are HUGE, in boxing only a few make big money, just like in MMA.

MMA is just like any other in that regard, only that in team sports usually the winning team has the bigger fan base, in MMA/Boxing winning is not enough, they need to draw the attention.

Mhmmm I dunno

It's probably as financial successful as you make it depending on how good you are
Same with any job

The amount of vagina you'd pick up by using the 'I'm a pro fighter' line
Would easily destroy any other job though

true words. Life is short, gotta enjoy it too.

Dude....Stop speaking on this subject now and save yourself. You have no idea what you're talking about.

1 in 7 guys will make the UFC? Is that accurate?

If someone had showed me that number when I was 22 fresh out of college, I'd have given training and competing a shot for a few years to see what happened.

Worst case scenario you just take a coding bootcamp or something later on and end up being a boring programmer.

That's right where I'm gonna be anyways

FOOK that
Ima get my kids into Uni and I'm gone

Let's climb mountains. The brits opened most of the crazy lines in the Cordillera Blanca in Peru and global warming is changing them. Let's revisit the classics with shitty conditions and little experience.<Eek2.0>

Let's climb mountains. The brits opened most of the crazy lines in the Cordillera Blanca in Peru and global warming is changing them. Let's revisit the classics with shitty conditions and little experience.<Eek2.0>

Fuck YES

Gimme 5 years son I'll see you there

Most sports only pay well to the top players, talent pool in "ball" team sports are HUGE, in boxing only a few make big money, just like in MMA.

MMA is just like any other in that regard, only that in team sports usually the winning team has the bigger fan base, in MMA/Boxing winning is not enough, they need to draw the attention.

The league minimum in MLB is 535K.....

NFL $465K

NBA $1,312,611

NHL 650K

Back