Been kickboxing for 7 years. Want to start boxing. Help?

MuayThai101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
To make it short, I love kickboxing/MT. However as I grew older, I am unable to train full time due to relationship and work. As a kickboxer, I pride my self on my flexibility. But with my time in the gym being shortend, I cant maintain it anymore. So I thought, rather than stretch for 30 mins a day just to maintain my kicks, I rather just put that time and energy into actual training. When I do something, I want to do it %100. I have been lately going into kickboxing class just throwing hands and lowkicks and knees. My flexibility is terrible now. I hate half assing things. What i like about boxing is the ability to get right into it without much warm up. You also dont need much space to shadow box. I work on my technique at work, at home. Which made me think, if I get into a fight on the street (god forbid lol), there will be no warm ups. Its 0 to 100.

Anyways, enough ranting. I come from a more dutch style of kickboxing with emphasis on combos. So its a good style to come from I feel for boxing. I bought boxing shoes and looking to jump in head first into this new world. Pretty excited. Any tips for someone with my background and habbits? Never really worked on a speed bag or double end bag. So i feel like i am behind on much of the training methods.

SPaw or Orth? Ambi?

Do you prefer volume or power?

I'm also a starter btw.

To make it short, I love kickboxing/MT. However as I grew older, I am unable to train full time due to relationship and work. As a kickboxer, I pride my self on my flexibility. But with my time in the gym being shortend, I cant maintain it anymore. So I thought, rather than stretch for 30 mins a day just to maintain my kicks, I rather just put that time and energy into actual training. When I do something, I want to do it %100. I have been lately going into kickboxing class just throwing hands and lowkicks and knees. My flexibility is terrible now. I hate half assing things. What i like about boxing is the ability to get right into it without much warm up. You also dont need much space to shadow box. I work on my technique at work, at home. Which made me think, if I get into a fight on the street (god forbid lol), there will be no warm ups. Its 0 to 100.

Anyways, enough ranting. I come from a more dutch style of kickboxing with emphasis on combos. So its a good style to come from I feel for boxing. I bought boxing shoes and looking to jump in head first into this new world. Pretty excited. Any tips for someone with my background and habbits? Never really worked on a speed bag or double end bag. So i feel like i am behind on much of the training methods.

You still warm up in boxing. It just may be different than static stretching. For example, jumping rope and shadowboxing can be seen as ways of dynamic warm ups for the work you're about to put in. If you try to go in and say spar or event hit the bag without a proper warm up you can pull a muscle, injure a joint or be tense. I haven't seen it done in the traditional sense of static stretching, however, even Muhammad Ali was reported to have coming into the gym and just bouncing around on his toes before he started.

From my understanding Dutch style is more fluid and the stance may be more transferable to western boxing? I do not know for sure but I am asking because of what you mentioned in your post. This has been my general take from the very limited experience I've had with guys who train this, although I do not know for sure. You should also be well conditioned coming from kickboxing I would imagine.

The speed bag, and the double end bag are great. Just practice on them a lot, and stay relaxed. Remember that they are for accuracy and not for power like the heavy. That is a big thorn at the gym is when guys blast the speed bag with these mechanical loaded shots. Watch the tempo of the bag, it's moving fast for speed and accuracy, why are you working power shots?

I believe a lot of things can be applicable, it's just can a person apply them. In any case, don't over think it, we do a lot of this and lose time. Try it out and see what you think, and good luck!!

Just be prepared about the technicality of boxing and getting a new awareness of in how many ways you can get hit with a punch. You may want to throw a kick sometimes or do an auto check kick here and there but dont worry it happens.

Also looking. You will be surprised how concentrated is looking at boxing.

Similar to you but I found myself missing kicking WAY too much to go pure boxing. That and my proclivity to throw spinning back fists wasn't appreciated. ;) I still spar with boxers as often as possible though to keep my hands sharp. Disadvantage is I'll never keep my weight up front like a boxing stance as long as I'm still training MT/KB. In the end, if you enjoy it have at it!

Go in with the mindset that what you assume about boxing (that you already know some because "8 limbs") is incorrect. Assume what you've learned already has been learned incorrectly in respect to boxing. This is hard for most people to do.

Same as when a mall karate guy thinks he knows Muay Thai already because his previous class allowed "use of knees and kicks and elbow techniques" - he's going to be holding himself back and will probably never progress anywhere close to where he should have (even basic technique proficiency) if he hadn't blocked himself off with those assumptions. His assumptions won't let him learn anything new because he assumes he already has a comprehensive grasp of it- his mind wont even let him look for things he doesn't know, let alone observe, let alone analyze to get better.

Your kickboxing experience can be usefully applied in a fight, but you must think of boxing as a completely different discipline if you want to understand and gain command of the useful details that come specifically from boxing. Don't be victim of the ego rush. You're paying to learn what the trainer knows, not to inform him what you know (or think you do).

Pretend like you know nothing when you go in there, that's my best advice. You can learn really quickly if you do this (also much easier to tolerate).

Everyone else is stuck, even people that have no experience in anything but go into boxing assuming they already somewhat know how it works because they've seen it on tv or in person (more than 50% of them are like this, don't be one of them).

Last edited:
Have you ever sparred hands only? If you have then, you should be all set. Yes, boxing, or hands only has own little nuances, and subtleties but it should not be difficult to pick up. You have already gotten throw the hard part which is willingness to bang, and be banged.

You have to watch what your fighting style was like in kick boxing. You kicked more or punched more .

If you're good pounding with your hands. And have a good wingspan going to Boxing but if you kick and punch. And KickBoxing is better. As for heating and much more a matter of adaptation than efficiency itself. For it had taken me a long time to warm myself up, but today I jump rope and it's already ready. I only do one leg warm up and I'm alone.
A hint to decrease the heating time will most often use the Sauna Suit clothing it decreases the warm-up time.

sauna-suit-everlast-perda-peso-emagrecimento-pronta-entrega-D_NQ_NP_962865-MLB27167678314_042018-F.jpg

Similar to you but I found myself missing kicking WAY too much to go pure boxing. That and my proclivity to throw spinning back fists wasn't appreciated. ;) I still spar with boxers as often as possible though to keep my hands sharp. Disadvantage is I'll never keep my weight up front like a boxing stance as long as I'm still training MT/KB. In the end, if you enjoy it have at it!
some boxers fight front foot heavy, some on the back foot. it really just depends what your comfortable with.

don't stand too upright, it is a habit of kickboxers. don't bend or crouch too much just bend the knees a bit more.

don't stand too upright, it is a habit of kickboxers. don't bend or crouch too much just bend the knees a bit more.

This. Plus bend your hips more, because that's where the power needs to come from (folding and unfolding). Fold the hips as your focus, the knees will follow without you needing to think about it.

It will open up a whole new universe of moving and punching, or you will ignore it and end up getting noobed in simple sparring by the half of the class that pays attention without waiting their whole lives trying to strain it through their arbitrary, non-porous pre-conception filter.

Last edited:
This. Plus bend your hips more, because that's where the power needs to come from (folding and unfolding). Fold the hips as your focus, the knees will follow without you needing to think about it.

It will open up a whole new universe of moving and punching, or you will ignore it and end up getting noobed in simple sparring by the half of the class that pays attention without waiting their whole lives trying to strain it through their arbitrary, non-porous pre-conception filter.
Great tips man. Thanks.

Back