Beginner lifter hear. What routine do you think I should follow?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean. I've obviously lifted weights in my life but I have never followed or stuck with a routine.

My goal is to just get stronger and stay in shape. Nothing Crazy. My lifting stats are not great and I would
say I am definitely not that strong.

What routine should I follow? Sets, reps, etc.

Also, What routine did you stick with the longest? How long did you do it for?

starting strength- mark rippetoe, that will get you started.

I'd reccomend his book practical programming too. It gives you a solid way to progress through your novice phase into intermediate training with tweaks to the novice routine to keep you on lineal progression as long as possible since it provides the fastest strength gain. And I also agree with the barbell rows as a substitute for cleans or light explosive deadlifts. Another note I could never find online is you're supposed i deadlift every workout until it stalls, then dial it back.

~DaViD~

What everyone else said, go with starting strength.

Also, dont be prideful. your form probably isnt that good on most lifts. I was too prideful when I first started lifting, when it comes to thinking my form was better than it is. Luckily, I didnt get injured, but I didn't progress as fast as I could have. I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to lifting. At a 1000lb big 3 total, I still focus on getting better form. No reason to be prideful about it.

Last, when you say 'stay in shape' are you simply referring to maintaining or lowering your body fat percentage, or do you have cardiovascular / endurance goals?

Pretty much everyone and their dog will recommend starting strength, and I'm no one to disagree with that. However, I'm restarting at total n00b levels after years of not lifting, and I'm having a lot of fun with Sheiko's beginner routine.

http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=270.0

The idea behind X is that it's whatever you could do easily for the number of reps specified on that day. I've been using jumps of 2.5kg to progress X. Obviously X for 6 reps is not going to be the same as X for 8 reps, so adding 2.5 kg to your X for 6 and then taking that as X for 8 is probably not going to work out that well. So you need to keep track of multiple Xs.

Don't replace power cleans, they are fucking amazing and fun. Watch video or get someone to teach you.

How old are you and what's your injury history? It'll make more sense to fit a program to your situation than try to force you into a program with lifts that might not be great for you.

Don't replace power cleans, they are fucking amazing and fun. Watch video or get someone to teach you.
I know how to do them but most gyms in my city do not allowed them, specially if you show more real power than the so called "trainers".

nice thread, im gonna follow and pickup some tips and knowledge along the way.
im about to try lift weights for first time after a serious illness . Im not looking to lift heavy, just gain some knowledge on the topic, maybe try gain some muscle and weight back over time, whilst not over exerting my body in the process.

basically i'll copy you without weights, just the empty bar lol

I've followed a block training program I cobbled together from watching Chad Wesley Smith laying out his own program on JTS. Which I subsequently modified/simplified/bastardized until it differs on many details but not the basic layout.

I'm into my fifth 3-month cycle now, with a few holdups here and there along the way. Steady progression of roughly 2,5-5 kg on every lift each cycle.

Perfectly serviceable program*, although it might be more suited for mid/upper-intermediate lifters. Considering the volume it might be a bit overkill for beginners (it probably is for me too, if I'm being honest).

But if you are prepared to devote the time and energy to get yourself to a gym five times a week, it is a dirt simple program- probably easier to understand and follow than even SS or 5x5. With the added benefit that it might serve you longer than a program based on linear progression, like SS**. And though the program as a whole takes some commitment, each single workout is in itself fairly modest and painless. And certainly more fun than SS or 5x5.

I suspect most programs are, really. For some reason it seems the lack of structure is what that ruins it for most lifters, not the minutiae.

Though I think SS would work for at least a couple of years for most people, and get them to a relatively high level in that time.

Last edited:
nice thread, im gonna follow and pickup some tips and knowledge along the way.
im about to try lift weights for first time after a serious illness . Im not looking to lift heavy, just gain some knowledge on the topic, maybe try gain some muscle and weight back over time, whilst not over exerting my body in the process.

basically i'll copy you without weights, just the empty bar lol
You could probably really benefit from doing the proper program honestly. You can start out with the bar and add 5 pounds every workout. There are many many health benefits of strength training and it also is fun to do once you get the hang of it. Idk what you went through but there's lots of stories on the starting strength forum of people recovering from serious accidents and illnesses with the starting strength program who go on to become much healthier than before their injury or illness.

~DaViD~

thank you for your sincere and honest advice.

I know nothing on weightlifting and strength training tbh.Im here to learn.
I dont want to intrude on someone else thread.
Hopefully I can post for some help/advice when i reach the relevant number of posts required.
I appreciate your help mate. thanks.

Pick a push, a pull, a lower body lift, and do 3 sets of each for 5. Add 5 pounds a week. Carry some heavy stuff, and get some push-ups and chin ups in.

Don’t make it rocket science, and understand that there’s nothing magic about any particular lift, especially if you don’t have much of a background in training. Just keep the lifts consistent and keep adding to them while keeping technique perfect.

If you’re younger and not beat up, the barbell lifts are probably worth the time to learn and work to master. If you’re 30+ or beat up, the juice might not be worth the squeeze. You can get brutally strong with split squats, dumbbell benches and dumbbell rows.

Just start and add weight over time.

im over 30+ , and beatup lol
im fukced i take it hehehe

can i increase the number of reps (with no weights , just bar) over time?
or because of no real weight on bar, would the repetition be pointless or not energy efficient?

I had a vertigo/balance issue for a few years, and only now can stand up again.
I need to strengthen legs, they are so weak and just about able to work still.
Ive done hospital physio and relearning balance again etc.

sorry for Q's on someone elses thread

Back