Beginner lifter hear. What routine do you think I should follow?

im over 30+ , and beatup lol
im fukced i take it hehehe

can i increase the number of reps (with no weights , just bar) over time?
or because of no real weight on bar, would the repetition be pointless or not energy efficient?

I had a vertigo/balance issue for a few years, and only now can stand up again.
I need to strengthen legs, they are so weak and just about able to work still.
Ive done hospital physio and relearning balance again etc.

sorry for Q's on someone elses thread
Start with body weight and progress to loaded lifts.

im fukced i take it hehehe

can i increase the number of reps (with no weights , just bar) over time?
or because of no real weight on bar, would the repetition be pointless or not energy efficient?

sorry for Q's on someone elses thread

I think this is really something that's almost certainly over everyone's paygrade here. I would guess goblet squats and kettlebell swings with light weights might be a good place to start, but really seems like something you should discuss with someone who has experience training people with your background.

I cant afford more help mate, tbh.
havent worked a day whilst in hospital or when bed ridden at home.
Eyes were constantly flicking up and sideways , whilst feeling sea sickness and severe body sweating. couldnt see straight for more than an hour a day.

its down to broscience for me now, lol
I love reading, so i can try to slowly learn something useful, along my new journey.
On a plus, i lost some weight. A bit too much weight, but hopefully I can learn how to put some on again.

Im sorry to original thread starter for hijacking. I appreciate everyones kind words.

I cant afford more help mate, tbh.
havent worked a day whilst in hospital or when bed ridden at home.
Eyes were constantly flicking up and sideways , whilst feeling sea sickness and severe body sweating. couldnt see straight for more than an hour a day.

its down to broscience for me now, lol
I love reading, so i can try to slowly learn something useful, along my new journey.
On a plus, i lost some weight. A bit too much weight, but hopefully I can learn how to put some on again.

Im sorry to original thread starter for hijacking. I appreciate everyones kind words.

Jesus dude....sounds rough. Like I said, I think goblet squats and light kettlebell swings might be a good place to start. But if you can squat the bar, you're already squatting 20KG. I think you could absolutely just work your way up from there using linear progression (every week, try to add on 5 pounds to the bar, that's two 2.5 lbs plates on each side). Do this with all the big lifts and as long as you're eating right, you should see strength gains. Then again, I'm assuming you're completely healthy now, which I obviously don't know, so I might be giving you bad advice here.

I’ve trained a handful of people over the years who suffered from vertigo issues to the point of hospitalization. Doesn’t mean their situations are the same, though.

Big takeaways: training is a stressor to your system, a system that needs to be healthy before you can prioritize performance. You’re only as good as what you can recover from.

Try walks, and see how you feel. As you can, build to body weight squats, split squats, chin ups or trx rows and pushups. Progress slower than you think you need to. You’ll find a groove and know when it’s time to increase things to more loaded work.

walking saved my legs , so the doc told me. Since rehab, i have daily walks, with mp3 audiobooks keeping me company.I am much more confident now, compared to before, even in picking up objects (co-ordination). my legs are really skinny tho, as I couldnt walk with any balance. My legs used to be much bigger, due to playing football. No training, just playing footie.

I dont want to seem like I have these conditions at present. I feel last 6 months has seen massive progress, and now its time to start improving on my current progress.

I will keep it light, thanks so much for the advice. Its duly noted, and a great starting point.
Thank you m8.

Rather than specific exercises I like to start new clients with more of a movement approach. We usually do something like:

-Horizontal push

-Horizontal pull

-Vertical press

-Knee bend

-Abs

Exercise wise, that might be:

-Push-ups

-Inverted Row

-DB Overhead Press (or wall slides if there is a shoulder history)

-Goblet Squat / Leg Press

-Plank

3-4 sets of 8-12 reps each; 30 second planks; 2-3 days per week. That's easily a month or two to get you started.

I know Starting Strength is a common recommendation. In my experience with the typical everyday person, starting there is asking a lot.

1) It overwhelms people with technique considerations.

2) Most people above 30 years old have some kind of injury history.

---People with say, past shoulder injuries, don't often handle barbells well. Benching, Overhead Press, Back Squatting position, all with a barbell might hurt a bum shoulder. (This is one reason why RIppetoe (author) had shoulder surgery himself.)

---80% of people have a lower back history. Deadlifting from the floor out of nowhere isn't the best move, and most will not have a good sense of how to progress it on their own.

Your last question about how long sticking to a program alludes to this- the better the program feels on your joints, the easier it is to get started with, the more likely you keep going. I love barbell work, but not for someone just getting started / coming off an extended break.

I've trained some people with vertigo, as well as many with balance issues.

One approach I take is trying to get them stronger while not worrying about balance, with the idea that down the line the extra strength will make it easier to then work on the balance. Basically my biggest concern with anyone mentioning balance right off the bat is making sure they don't fall. If the person is mentioning it right away, it's usually pretty bad.

For instance, rather than play with squatting with a barbell, I just have them Leg Press. This way we don't have to worry about balance, or losing the bar at all.

For lunging, I'll have them lunge in place, while holding on to something. (Over time you can play with not holding on, but keeping a hand nearby just in case.)

Sled work is also great.

Next, I try to minimize how much up and down motion we do. I don't have them get up and down off the ground much, or if we do anything where the person leans over, I tell them to keep their eyes up so at least their head isn't looking down and up.

I've found many, when going from horizontal to vertical fairly quickly, get very thrown off.

thanks so much im gonna message you if thats ok, with one quick question if you dont mind.
I dont want to clog up this thread for other people.

i just wrote an essay and realised its not my thread lol

I mean. I've obviously lifted weights in my life but I have never followed or stuck with a routine.

My goal is to just get stronger and stay in shape. Nothing Crazy. My lifting stats are not great and I would
say I am definitely not that strong.

What routine should I follow? Sets, reps, etc.

Also, What routine did you stick with the longest? How long did you do it for?

What makes it obvious? Kill yourself

I've trained some people with vertigo, as well as many with balance issues.

One approach I take is trying to get them stronger while not worrying about balance, with the idea that down the line the extra strength will make it easier to then work on the balance. Basically my biggest concern with anyone mentioning balance right off the bat is making sure they don't fall. If the person is mentioning it right away, it's usually pretty bad.

For instance, rather than play with squatting with a barbell, I just have them Leg Press. This way we don't have to worry about balance, or losing the bar at all.

For lunging, I'll have them lunge in place, while holding on to something. (Over time you can play with not holding on, but keeping a hand nearby just in case.)

Sled work is also great.

Next, I try to minimize how much up and down motion we do. I don't have them get up and down off the ground much, or if we do anything where the person leans over, I tell them to keep their eyes up so at least their head isn't looking down and up.

I've found many, when going from horizontal to vertical fairly quickly, get very thrown off.
Good advice.

As others have mentioned just a 5x5 or 3x5 routine. Whenever you start to stall, you can switch to Texas Method or 5/31

Don't do Starting Strength. Avoid it like the plague. It's just an internet marketing gag and by the way, the technique shown is rather questionable, not to mention the author never taught anyone of note, nor was he especially succesfull while competing himself.

Instead, do what everyone in their right mind does and did for decades: You start with high reps of 15-20, with a single set or 2, working up to 3 sets. Do this for a few months. Don't worry about weight too much, you do this to coax your muscles and ligaments into training again. Then you reduce the reps for a few months, to get more into the hypertrophy range, say 3 sets of 10-12 (some prefer 8-12, some 12-15) reps.

THEN, if you want to go for strength, you reduce the reps and increase the weight again. You can do your 3x5 or 5x5 then (but sets of 5 reps isn't strength training, technically, that's more like 1-3 reps). When you start getting stale, you take a week or two off and start the whole process again.

Look up Tudor Bompa's work on periodization. Getting a beginner into low volume "strength" training is literally "what is this, I don't even"-tier. Not to mention you'll usually look like a clown on SS because of the weird obsession with lower body training and high caloric intake.

Doing SS is like starting your boxing training with kickboxing sparring and nothing else. It's bull.

Back