Beginner's (noob) questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so what you meant to say is that it's a great hip flexor exercise...I see...

Also the guys in the diesel crew video you posted display a fair amount of lumbar flexion. You should hear the nice things Stu McGill has to say about the diesel crew and other advanced lifters who take good concepts and manage to fuck them up...

o_O

You mad???

FAQ:The Program - Starting Strength Wiki

How much weight should I add from workout to workout? How much weight should I add from workout to workout?

For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises.

I'm just starting on SS and I have a question on this.

If I'm squatting every workout and adding 10lbs+ each time, but deadlifting only every other workout and only adding 15lbs, then my squat would be increasing at a higher rater than my deadlift. Shouldn't the deadlift be increasing at least as fast as the squat, given that most lifters can deadlift more than they can squat?

Or is it that once the squat slows down to 5lbs per session, the deadlift carries on at 15lbs per session?

I'm just starting on SS and I have a question on this.

If I'm squatting every workout and adding 10lbs+ each time, but deadlifting only every other workout and only adding 15lbs, then my squat would be increasing at a higher rater than my deadlift. Shouldn't the deadlift be increasing at least as fast as the squat, given that most lifters can deadlift more than they can squat?

Or is it that once the squat slows down to 5lbs per session, the deadlift carries on at 15lbs per session?

This. You will also find that your squats will probably stall and require a deload before your deadlift does.

My erectors are supposed to be contracted throughout the squat, right? Because whenever I get to almost parallel, I can't seek to keep them contracted. I did some research and found that Rippe said that you should push your knees out more, but that didn't really do anything for me. Any tips?

My erectors are supposed to be contracted throughout the squat, right? Because whenever I get to almost parallel, I can't seek to keep them contracted. I did some research and found that Rippe said that you should push your knees out more, but that didn't really do anything for me. Any tips?

A video would help, that way we could see if it's a technique issue. But it could be a mobility/flexibility issue. Google "agile 8" for a good mobility routine, although feel free to add other stretches or mobility work.

I read the FAQ and followed a few links, but didn't find an answer to my question, so this thread seemed an ok place for it.

whats the ideal speed v. distance ratio for better conditioning in the ring or on the mats? is it better to do three miles at a pretty fast clip or slow it down and go six instead?

apologies if this topic has been covered before (or beaten into the ground)

I was able to do 195 3x2.

I also managed to do 6x1 185 burnout set.

So I'm making some progress. Going to try and do 3x3 195 on Wednesday.

I was able to do 195 3x2.

I also managed to do 6x1 185 burnout set.

So I'm making some progress. Going to try and do 3x3 195 on Wednesday.

You ignored every bit of advice that was given to you...

You ignored every bit of advice that was given to you...

No I haven't. I haven't abandoned the 3x5 model.

I was feeling really good today doing 3x5 185 and one my last set I just managed to do 6 reps.
After that I decided to jump up 195 but I was only able to do 3x2. (but I was kinda tired already)

I actually think I can do 3x5 with 195.

Have patience with me I'm just a newb.

Last edited:
I was sort of experimenting today to see if I was making any progress.

Because my base work set is 185 and It's starting to feel lighter and It's getting easier.

do you think that 195 is to much of a jump? I'm still sticking to 3x5. Today was just a bit different. Haven't abandoned anything.

If you're just starting an SS type progression. Scale back on the weight, start with something like 155x3x5 or a weight that practically flies up very easily and work your way up over a few weeks until you can't make progress, then deload by 10% and work your way up again.

If you want to do your own thing, thats up to you.

If you're just starting an SS type progression. Scale back on the weight, start with something like 155x3x5 or a weight that practically flies up very easily and work your way up over a few weeks until you can't make progress, then deload by 10% and work your way up again.

If you want to do your own thing, thats up to you.

Ok I see what your saying. But I do feel like that 185 is getting lighter. I can do 3x5 with ease. But I might just drop it down like you said.

Yeah i am squatting every session but i am finding it difficult to make progress when i cant get in 3 times a week (which for one reason or another has not happened for the past month) thanks for the input though

Funny. I find it hard to make progress if I squat more than once a week. :D

yup figure this question goes here. can i do the clean and jerk instead of the power clean in the starting strength ?

You could do that. But then you wouldn't be doing Starting Strength anymore.

If you have interest towards oly lifting, squeeze out as many gains as you can from SS and then switch to a more oly based routine.

If you have interest towards oly lifting, squeeze out as many gains as you can from SS and then switch to a more oly based routine.

alright no biggy besides SS has me pressing and doing the clean not a direct correlation between the overhead press and the jerk but it should help i think.

yup figure this question goes here. can i do the clean and jerk instead of the power clean in the starting strength ?

You'd probably have to drop either bench or overhead presses as well. Do you just want to train the clean and jerk, or are you wanting to do a full olympic lifting routine?

Depending on how much you clean in relation to your front squat, their might be some other issues as well. Ie. if the clean and jerk is also makes for challenging front squating for you, then you have to account for that in terms of what you're back squatting.

It wouldn't, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If someone's main goal is getting good at the olympic lifts, I wouldn't suggest following SS exactly as written.

Do you just want to train the clean and jerk, or are you wanting to do a full olympic lifting routine?
/QUOTE]

if i could still do the backsquat and deadlift then ideally i would like to do a full oly lifiting routine.

if i could still do the backsquat and deadlift then ideally i would like to do a full oly lifiting routine.

An oly routine would (should) have back squatting. However, they won't generally have deadlifting. This is because instead of deadlifting, olympic lifts or variations of them are done, since they're more specific to the goal of getting good at the olympic lifts. This doesn't mean that they never deadlift, but rather it's not a regular part of training, and something that would be done just for fun, or to see how much they can pull.

Keep in mind that while you wouldn't be pulling weights that are as heavy, you would be pulling more often, with greater volume, and explosively. Good olympic lifters will still have reasonably good deadlifts.

Here's a sample beginner routine by Glenn Pendlay:

WFW Program 2005

Keep in mind it's only a sample, and there are other good routines. Also, if it's possible for you to get coaching, (a good idea if possible) then you don't need to worry about finding a routine.

An oly routine would (should) have back squatting. However, they won't generally have deadlifting. This is because instead of deadlifting, olympic lifts or variations of them are done, since they're more specific to the goal of getting good at the olympic lifts. This doesn't mean that they never deadlift, but rather it's not a regular part of training, and something that would be done just for fun, or to see how much they can pull.

Keep in mind that while you wouldn't be pulling weights that are as heavy, you would be pulling more often, with greater volume, and explosively. Good olympic lifters will still have reasonably good deadlifts.

Here's a sample beginner routine by Glenn Pendlay:

WFW Program 2005

Keep in mind it's only a sample, and there are other good routines. Also, if it's possible for you to get coaching, (a good idea if possible) then you don't need to worry about finding a routine.

thank you very much man. i can't get coaching due to no places for it near me and money being tight. but on the bright side when i see something i can usually do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back