Beginner's (noob) questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you very much man. i can't get coaching due to no places for it near me and money being tight. but on the bright side when i see something i can usually do it.

If you can't get coaching, read lots on olympic lifting technique, watch (good) how to videos, take lots of video of yourself lifting, be patient and try not to pick-up bad habits. Not having a coach means putting in extra effort to learn how to do the lifts correctly. I think the following thead will be helpful for you:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/show-em-your-o-face-oly-lifts-thread-1121258/

If you can't get coaching, read lots on olympic lifting technique, watch (good) how to videos, take lots of video of yourself lifting, be patient and try not to pick-up bad habits. Not having a coach means putting in extra effort to learn how to do the lifts correctly. I think the following thead will be helpful for you:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/show-em-your-o-face-oly-lifts-thread-1121258/

thanks iam going to read through some of it today and i will look for legit how to videos.

Really basic/simple question so I thought I'd post it here.

How do I go from a clean to a press? I catch the weight from the clean and then want to push press it (or jerk or press or whatever), but i have trouble going from the catch grip to an overhead press grip, any help on this one? Tips?

Really basic/simple question so I thought I'd post it here.

How do I go from a clean to a press? I catch the weight from the clean and then want to push press it (or jerk or press or whatever), but i have trouble going from the catch grip to an overhead press grip, any help on this one? Tips?

With the bar still resting on your deltoids, bring your elbows down, wrap hands around the bar and press.

fuck.. i hate to bump this topic with a question like this but oh well. a piece on my super awesome squat stands broke yay ! anyways my question is would there be a problem with overhead squatting each time till i get a replacement part ?

If your only option is to overhead squat or not squat at all, then overhead squat.
Or clean the weight to a front squat (if you are capable).

If your only option is to overhead squat or not squat at all, then overhead squat.

its the only option so overhead squatting it is then.

EDIT: yeah i can clean it to front squat i totally forgot about being able to do that

havent posted here in a while.

Just wanted to say that im making progress with the 3x5.

Right now I can successfully bench 200 3x5 and deadlift 225 3x5.

Im on week 4 of WS4SB3, actually I didnt do DE lower day the first 3 weeks so Im on week 4 of a bastardized WS4SB3. Yesterday I did do DE lower day but I just jumped up and tapped the side of a roof overhang on my house for vertical jumps, so I dont really have a very good way to measure progress here. I would do box jumps but I dont have a box to jump on/off of. My main movement on ME lowerbody day is the conventional deadlift. Can I use powercleans as my DE lowerbody (tuesday) main movement? Should I then drop shrugs from monday? Thanks for any advice

Also, next week (during week 5) Im going backpacking- camping out tuesday night, starting the hike weds and finishing thurs. Its 15miles (20miles if i cant get a ride back to the start) with lots of elevation changes. Should I skip the lifting routine altogether? Try to keep ME monday and friday, and even do DE lower day tues morning?

havent posted here in a while.

Just wanted to say that im making progress with the 3x5.

Right now I can successfully bench 200 3x5 and deadlift 225 3x5.

Good for you.

Why don't you start a log?

Forgot about this. It certainly needed a bump to help clean up the white belt threads.

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop ?

actually a serious question, has anyone on sherdog ever started a form check thread ? i figure it would potentially clean up the S & C considerably. with everyone putting their form vids up in one thread, the only problem i see is you would have to quote the person and then give a response so people do not get confused.

actually a serious question, has anyone on sherdog ever started a form check thread ? i figure it would potentially clean up the S & C considerably. with everyone putting their form vids up in one thread, the only problem i see is you would have to quote the person and then give a response so people do not get confused.

I think you have it right that the responses would be confusing to match up with the subjects. Also, those are pretty well-trafficked threads, which might create a monster thread that would risk deletion, robbing several people at a time of their feedback. Otherwise, it's a great idea.

I think you have it right that the responses would be confusing to match up with the subjects. Also, those are pretty well-trafficked threads, which might create a monster thread that would risk deletion, robbing several people at a time of their feedback. Otherwise, it's a great idea.

you do have a point it would get pretty big. oh well i tried with an idea. hopefully me bumping this topic will have some beginners ask in here rather than in a new thread.

I've seen ones where you post a video requesting form checks and then people PM you advice until you remove your video/post when you feel that you've received sufficient advice.

I've seen ones where you post a video requesting form checks and then people PM you advice until you remove your video/post when you feel that you've received sufficient advice.

I actually like seeing form check videos and seeing the more experienced guys' responses. It helps me learn what to look for in my own form check videos.

I actually like seeing form check videos and seeing the more experienced guys' responses. It helps me learn what to look for in my own form check videos.

this entirely. while i am not against the idea cXs Proposed, its just everyone can learn from what the more experienced guys would tell you to do. perhaps eventually something like this will get done.

Am I going to destroy myself mashing Bench/Deadlift and Press/Squat into two days for 5/3/1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back