Belgium Says Loot Boxes In Games Like Overwatch, FIFA 18, and CS: Global Offensive Are Illegal

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Belgium Says Loot Boxes In Games Like Overwatch Are Illegal

zhfkgsac0opamahahpnp.png

Loot boxes in FIFA 18, Overwatch, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are now illegal in Belgium, with the country’s legislators declaring today that if the games’ publishers don’t remove the offending microtransactions, people behind the games could face fines and even time behind bars.

As reported by Eurogamer, Belgium minister of justice Koen Greens said in a statement that the loot boxes in these games were in violation of the country’s gaming legislation and thus the companies selling them are subject to criminal punishment, including fines of up to 800,000 euros ($974,605) and prison sentences. This determination was made after Belgium’s Gaming Commission spent several months reviewing how loot boxes operated in these games and others following the controversy surrounding Star Wars: Battlefront 2’s microtransactions. Since then, many stories have come to light about how much money some people have spent on loot boxes and other in-game purchases, and the practice as a whole has come under lots of scrutiny.

The criteria the commission used to decide whether loot boxes constituted gambling were whether there was a game element involved, whether a bet could lead to profit or loss, and whether it was based on chance rather than skill. As a result, the commission decided FIFA 18, Overwatch, and CS:GO involved games of chance and should be subject to Belgian gaming law. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 ended up not being part of the decision, since at the time of the survey, EA had temporarily removed microtransactions from the game. The company recently re-added microtransactions, but you can no longer spend real money on loot boxes in the game—you can only buy cosmetic items directly.

“The Belgian Gaming Commission has not contacted us or shared its report,” an EA spokesperson told Kotaku in an email. “We strongly believe that our games are developed and implemented ethically and lawfully around the world, and take these responsibilities very seriously. We care deeply that our players are having a fun and fair experience in all of our games, and take great care to ensure each game is marketed responsibly, including in compliance with regional ratings standards. We would welcome the dialogue with Minister Geens on these topics, as we do not agree that our games can be considered as any form of gambling.”

Neither Overwatch publisher Blizzard nor CS:GO publisher Valve immediately responded to requests for comment.

Belgium’s announcement comes just over a week after the Netherlands Gaming Authority found four out of the 10 loot boxes it was investigating violated Dutch law and needed to be revised by June 20. As reported by Eurogamer, the games in question were FIFA 18, Dota 2, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds and Rocket League, with the Netherlands Gaming Authority most concerned about the addictive element of loot boxes in these games, specifically with regard to how they affect minors.

It’s not surprising that European countries have been the first to move so forcefully against microtransactions in games perceived to be gambling. In 2015, the UK’s Consumer Rights Act forced companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Valve to offer refunds for games found to be faulty in some way. More recently, Norway’s Consumer Council pressed Nintendo to allow people to get refunds for pre-ordered games that had not yet been released.

Legislators in the U.S. have been slower to act on the issue of microtransactions. Hawaii House of Representatives member Chris Lee called loot boxes gambling last November and the state is currently considering two different bills that would regulate them. At the federal level, New Hampshire Democratic Senator Maggie Hassan asked the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) to re-examine the issue of loot boxes last February but did not press for any more concrete action. The ESRB responded by adding an “In-Game Purchases” label to boxed games that allow you to spend money on in-game content.

Some companies have taken it upon themselves to at least be more transparent about the odds associated with their microtransactions. Last December, Apple revised the guidelines for its App Store to require companies to reveal the odds of any loot boxes in their games. More recently in February, Riot, makers of the incredibly popular PC game League of Legends, revealed the probabilities of getting certain items from its loot boxes.

The Belgium Minister of Justice didn’t announce any specific timeline for when the games found to be in violation of its gambling laws would need to have their loot boxes revised or removed. Instead, Geens’ statement calls for further dialogue between the different parties involved.

https://kotaku.com/belgium-says-loot-boxes-in-games-like-overwatch-are-ill-1825533879

Oh shit, how are EA gonna survive without the Belgian market?

Would've been nice if the article had explained to non-gamers what the fuck a loot box is.

whats a loot boxes and since when do we care what Flemish people think

edit: So its an add on, pay per use widget that allows people the ability to upgrade or win something -- and over governed nanny states feel like its too much like gambling.

they should not be illegal imo, however there should be a disclaimer on the product informing the consumer that you're purchasing a base product, and to fully experience the game, be prepared to thrown down X number of dollars.

Would've been nice if the article had explained to non-gamers what the fuck a loot box is.

it is a box with in-game items. For instnace, in Heroes of the storm, a loot chest can give a new costume design for your hero, a new mount for them to ride around on in game, avatars, special voice lines, sprays (pictures) you can leave on the ground after killing someone, etc.

You get them for certain progress in the game, but you can also usually buy them for like 10 loot chests for 5 bucks or something.

Why does the government care so much about these microtransactions? I read article in the OP, but didnt click any sub links, since I do not know those websites.

As long as they keep sending me Rochefort 10 and Chimay Blue I forgive anything they do...

what about MMOs like ESO or FFXIV or even games like Fortnite an d Warframe it seems odd they aren't bringing those up.

Honestly I bet if you remove chocolate and Mikeller, EA’s GDP takes a massive shit on Belgium.

it is a box with in-game items. For instnace, in Heroes of the storm, a loot chest can give a new costume design for your hero, a new mount for them to ride around on in game, avatars, special voice lines, sprays (pictures) you can leave on the ground after killing someone, etc.

You get them for certain progress in the game, but you can also usually buy them for like 10 loot chests for 5 bucks or something.

Why does the government care so much about these microtransactions? I read article in the OP, but didnt click any sub links, since I do not know those websites.

I don't understand games these days.

I hate to be the old man here, but back in my day you just went to the store and paid your $60 or whatever and then you had your game. That's it. Put it in and play it.

There wasn't all this extra stuff, loot boxes, DLCs, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
what about MMOs like ESO or FFXIV or even games like Fortnite an d Warframe it seems odd they aren't bringing those up.
I do not know about ESO, but FF14 does not have loot boxes. Jist microstransactions where you know what are you getting.

The issue they have with lootboxes is their similarity to gambling.

I understand games these days.

I hate to be the old man here, but back in my dad you just went to the store and paid your $60 or whatever and then you had your game. That's it. Put it in and play it.

There wasn't all this extra stuff, loot boxes, DLCs, etc.

You guys should google "How much have you spent on Madden 18?", and check the threads.

The shit is ridiculous. If you like to play online and compete with other plebs, you gotta spend hundreds on purchasing players. It's "optional" though since you can just play 10,000 hours of solo challenges for those players. At some point you feel like an idiot for not just spending the money, but fuck.

You guys should google "How much have you spent on Madden 18?", and check the threads.

The shit is ridiculous. If you like to play online and compete with other plebs, you gotta spend hundreds on purchasing players. It's "optional" though since you can just play 10,000 hours of solo challenges for those players. At some point you feel like an idiot for not just spending the money, but fuck.

Yeah, I would have no patience at all for that.

I play almost no games at all these days, but occasionally I will play something on my phone. If it's a game that has in-app purchases though, I totally avoid it. Fuck that.

The whole thing seems like a scam to me. Like I said, when I was still playing games you would just buy the disc or whatever and that was it. You had the game. All of it. For all time.

But that is just people being retarded lol. In games like overwatch, heroes of the storm, and counter-strike... they do not actually make you better or increase your chances of winning. It is purely cosmetic. They still get kids buying millions of dollars worth of character skins and shit.

That is on you tho to play a game you need to buy shit to actually win. Like all those cellphone War/Strategy games... there is no strategy involved, just who can ever farm the most or spend the most.

I made quite a bit of money farming loot and selling it in an MMO (Asheron's Call).

To be the best in that game you had to have the best stuff.

That isn't anything like what they're talking about, but one thing I used to sell was exactly this. You could get keys to chests that gave you the highest level loot randomly. You couldn't buy the keys legally, but for guys like me, they were currency.

Good loot boxes need to die. They are a cancer and most games with them are pretty much just built to advertise the loot boxes.

Hopefully something ends microtransactions. It's a pretty disgusting business model that is just easing its way into all gaming.

No issue with loot boxes being for cosmetic stuff (Rocket League) on a gamer level, but they should probably be showing the probabilities of getting the items in the box.

Shit like FIFA where you get game changing players though, or Battlefront with all of their well documented crap, yeah I'd rather not be seeing that.

From an outsiders perspective both are gambling with the sole intention of making you pay 40 bucks to try and get something through gambling you would have bought for 3 or 4 dollars if given the option.

I usually just avoid games with gameplay affecting loot boxes

Back