Bellator 172: Thomson vs. Pitbull (7pm ET Prelims-9pm Main Card) Discussion - Fedor vs Mitrione off.

shonuf

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Saturday night’s anticipated Fedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Mitrione fight has been canceled.

According to multiple sources, the heavyweight fight, which was set to headline Bellator 172 at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif., was scrapped just hours before the event was scheduled to start after Mitrione fell ill.

Bellator officials tried to find a replacement for Mitrione but were unable to do so on such short notice.

According to California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster fans wanting to get a refund due to the cancellation are able to do so as long as they make the request before the event officially starts.

As a result, Bellator 172’s new main event will be Josh Thomson vs. Patricky “Pitbull” Freire.

Saturday 02.18.2017 at 09:00 PM ET
U.S. Broadcast: Spike TV | Prelims: Spike.com
Promotion: Bellator MMA
Ownership: Bellator Sport Worldwide, LLC
Venue: SAP Center
Enclosure: Cage
TV Announcers: Sean Grande, Jimmy Smith
Ring Announcer: Michael C. Williams
Post-Fight Interviews: Jimmy Smith
Number of MMA Bouts: 14

Bellator_172_Fedor_vs._Mitrione_Poster.jpg

Main Card: (Spike TV-9pm ET)

265lbs- Fedor Emelianenko (36-4) vs. Matt Mitrione (11-5)
(3 X 5 Rounds)

155lbs- Josh Thomson (22-8) vs. Patricky Freire (16-8)

265lbs- Cheick Kongo (25-10-2) vs. Oli Thompson (17-9)

185lbs- Francisco France (13-4-1) vs. Anatoly Tokov (24-3)

125lbs- Brooke Mayo (0-0) vs. Veta Arteaga (2-1)

170lbs- Josh Koscheck (17-10) vs. Mauricio Alonso (12-7)

Prelims: ( 7:00PM ET) http://bellator.spike.com/live

170lbs- James Terry (18-9) vs. David Douglas (9-6)
155lbs- Cesar Gonzalez (0-1) vs. Nikko Jackson (1-1)
145lbs- Juan Cardenas (1-0) vs. Luis Vargas (0-1)
170lbs- Carlos Eduardo Rocha (9-4) vs. Rick Reger (7-2)
125lbs- Anthony Do (4-1) vs. Bobby Escalante (4-5)
125lbs- Jeremy Murphy (2-4) vs. Matthew Ramirez (1-2)
155lbs- JJ Okanovich (3-1) vs. Paradise Vaovasa (5-1)
145lbs- Roque Reyes (0-3) vs. Justin Tenedora (0-0)

1220.png

Weigh In Results
Bellator 172 Weigh-in Results:

CANCELLED & FIZZLED BOUTS
CANCELLED155 lbsAdam Piccolotti vs. Brent Primus Piccolotti Injury
CANCELLED265 lbsFedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Mitrione Mitrione Illness​

Last edited:
This card is close in quality to the UFC event on Sunday.

Fedor vs Mitrione > Lewis vs Browne
Hendricks vs Lombard > Thomson vs Freire barely
Kongo vs Thompson is better than everything else on the UFC card and it isn't even a juicy fight.

Last edited:
You're right, but only because UFC quality has been considerably watered down as of late.

Bellator's site has this listed as being on the main card. So i guess it is.

Last edited:
Saturday 02.18.2017 at 09:00 PM ET
U.S. Broadcast: Spike TV | Prelims: Spike.com
Promotion: Bellator MMA
Ownership: Bellator Sport Worldwide, LLC
Venue: SAP Center
Enclosure: Cage
TV Announcers: Sean Grande, Jimmy Smith
Ring Announcer: Michael C. Williams
Post-Fight Interviews: Jimmy Smith
Number of MMA Bouts: 14

Bellator_172_Fedor_vs._Mitrione_Poster.jpg

Main Card: (Spike TV-9pm ET)

265lbs- Fedor Emelianenko (36-4) vs. Matt Mitrione (11-5)
(3 X 5 Rounds)

155lbs- Josh Thomson (22-8) vs. Patricky Freire (16-8)

265lbs- Cheick Kongo (25-10-2) vs. Oli Thompson (17-9)

170lbs- Josh Koscheck (17-10) vs. Mauricio Alonso (12-7)

Prelims: ( 7:00PM ET) http://bellator.spike.com/live

170lbs- James Terry (18-9) vs. David Douglas (9-6)
155lbs- Cesar Gonzalez (0-1) vs. Nikko Jackson (1-1)
145lbs- Juan Cardenas (1-0) vs. Luis Vargas (0-1)
170lbs- Carlos Eduardo Rocha (9-4) vs. Rick Reger (7-2)
125lbs- Anthony Do (4-1) vs. Bobby Escalante (4-5)
125lbs- Jeremy Murphy (2-4) vs. Matthew Ramirez (1-2)
155lbs- JJ Okanovich (3-1) vs. Paradise Vaovasa (5-1)
145lbs- Roque Reyes (0-3) vs. Justin Tenedora (0-0)
185lbs- Francisco France (13-4-1) vs. Anatoly Tokov (24-3)

1220.png

Weigh In Results
Bellator 172 Weigh-in Results:

CANCELLED & FIZZLED BOUTS
CANCELLED155 lbsAdam Piccolotti vs. Brent Primus Piccolotti Injury​

Why is there some random 125 cans on the main card and France/Tokov is on the undercard?

Thete is nothing to discuss,Fedor will steal whole show,with kill under one minute

Just 5 days to the return of Fedor. Hope he gets the KO or sub finish.

I wish to Christ Fedor would use his sambo and ground game.

I think the last time he actually did was the Hunt fight a decade ago.

Upset that I am going to have to miss this one.

But the Saskatchewan Rush take priority.

This Bellator card is garbage in the prospects department. What happened to the days of having vets mixed with upcoming talent? Fedor and Mitrione are two old guys, same with Thomson, Pitbull, Kongo, Oli, Koscheck and everyone else! Not even one prospect to get excited about going forward. Say whatever you want, I know Fedor is fighting but this is garbage. Even after the Tito card it was the same shit. There was NOTHING to look forward to when the card was done. Think about that card and tell me who you're looking forward to seeing aside from Daley? NOBODY. Bellator needs to get eyeballs on the prospects. Idk why they're wasting their time with this chicks' fight and Koscheck and some random. What a joke. At least have the vets fight the prospects. When you have the vets fighting bums what's the point?

I don't think it's possible to even get excited about the entertainment value of this card. Aside from Fedor and maybe the co-main, this card is guaranteed to be boring as shit. Koscheck in 2017? Yeah anybody expecting this fight to be exciting is high. The 125 lb women's fight is most likely gonna suck. Kongo hasn't been in a good fight or even thrown a strike in about 15 fights. He'll definitely dry hump Oli to a decision. Hopefully Patricky can provide some magic. Fedor vs Mitrione will be good hopefully.

I don't think it's possible to even get excited about the entertainment value of this card. Aside from Fedor and maybe the co-main, this card is guaranteed to be boring as shit. Koscheck in 2017? Yeah anybody expecting this fight to be exciting is high. The 125 lb women's fight is most likely gonna suck. Kongo hasn't been in a good fight or even thrown a strike in about 15 fights. He'll definitely dry hump Oli to a decision. Hopefully Patricky can provide some magic. Fedor vs Mitrione will be good hopefully.

true, Koscheck was always boring AF i just hope he lets other guy KO him to get over it quick

I wish to Christ Fedor would use his sambo and ground game.

I think the last time he actually did was the Hunt fight a decade ago.
He used it against Jaideep, he clinched early, got the TD and ended the fight on the ground but Jaideep was a novice to MMA.

He used it against Jaideep, he clinched early, got the TD and ended the fight on the ground but Jaideep was a novice to MMA.
You're totally right. The Singh fight doesn't even register in my memory. :/

You're totally right. The Singh fight doesn't even register in my memory. :/
Well it wasn't the highest profile fight ever :p
I really hope Fedor looks for the TD too, he will have a good advantage there.

This Bellator card is garbage in the prospects department. What happened to the days of having vets mixed with upcoming talent? Fedor and Mitrione are two old guys, same with Thomson, Pitbull, Kongo, Oli, Koscheck and everyone else! Not even one prospect to get excited about going forward. Say whatever you want, I know Fedor is fighting but this is garbage. Even after the Tito card it was the same shit. There was NOTHING to look forward to when the card was done. Think about that card and tell me who you're looking forward to seeing aside from Daley? NOBODY. Bellator needs to get eyeballs on the prospects. Idk why they're wasting their time with this chicks' fight and Koscheck and some random. What a joke. At least have the vets fight the prospects. When you have the vets fighting bums what's the point?
Anatoly Tokov is an A Grade prospect.

Not a lot of prospects but Bellator is building up Koscheck, Thomson, Kongo for future bigger fights. No super long term gain but they'll hopefully get a few big fights out of them.

The fight probably won't be shown on the broadcast though, unless most of the main card fights end early, which they most likely will not.

Just because there's one good prospect doesn't change what I said. Better yet, it's enforces my point. He's fighting Francisco France and it's on the prelims. SMH

Back