Bellator 190 averages 394k viewers, lowest ever on Spike TV

I have two DVRs just for myself, so I managed to record all that more or less simultaneously. Other than the main event there were three upsets on the Bellator card, so I was pleasantly surprised to watch it the next morning. The fights are already on the Bellator web site by the way: http://bellator.spike.com/videos
Fights u would rec? I have already seen the girtz fight. Dude is always scrappy.

Fights u would rec? I have already seen the girtz fight. Dude is always scrappy.
Well, I watch every fight on every card, so it's not like I pick and choose anyway, but both of the other fights were upsets and one had an entertaining finish.

Valerie Letorneau is headlining a Bellator show this weekend in England. What a joke. Bellator is absolute garbage now. Coker is a moron. Never thought anyone could make me miss Bjorn but Coker has done it. At least Bjorn knew women’s mma was trash and only weirdos and pervs liked to watch it. Aside from the upper echelon like top 5 fighters in each division, who wants to watch this crap? Letorneau is terrible. Another tape delayed event doing 200k viewers.

Valerie Letorneau is headlining a Bellator show this weekend in England. What a joke. Bellator is absolute garbage now. Coker is a moron. Never thought anyone could make me miss Bjorn but Coker has done it. At least Bjorn knew women’s mma was trash and only weirdos and pervs liked to watch it. Aside from the upper echelon like top 5 fighters in each division, who wants to watch this crap? Letorneau is terrible. Another tape delayed event doing 200k viewers.

I'm interested in seeing how Michael McDonald looks. Age wise he should be in his prime

I think its pretty simple why the ratings don't really change much.......

Bellator doesn't give us fans a whole hell of a lot of reasons to watch.

Scott Coker and Spike need to use the roster better and schedule shows accordingly. I know I'm beating a dead horse here <16> but this is what Coker has always done. His orgs run very lose in the sense of direction and it hard to build off that. Fans only care when they give us something to care about. Because of this even good shows people don't tune in much more than the avg. shows. Main event ratings show that people will tune in when you give them a good match or a quality name. So build off that.

KEEP ALL THE SHOWS ON FRIDAYS.

A 10 minute hype job for each show on youtube would help as well.

You realize that you've outed yourself as a weirdo and/or a perv if you ascribe that to everyone else watching WMMA, right?

Crappy card, and it doesn't seem like they promoted it at all either. I didn't even know there was kickboxing associated with this card until the day of when I saw an Instagram post about it. These ratings are to be expected from a card like this. Bellator seems to be saving all its promotional budget for the January 20th and HW tournament cards.

I think its pretty simple why the ratings don't really change much.......

Bellator doesn't give us fans a whole hell of a lot of reasons to watch.

Scott Coker and Spike need to use the roster better and schedule shows accordingly. I know I'm beating a dead horse here <16> but this is what Coker has always done. His orgs run very lose in the sense of direction and it hard to build off that. Fans only care when they give us something to care about. Because of this even good shows people don't tune in much more than the avg. shows. Main event ratings show that people will tune in when you give them a good match or a quality name. So build off that.

I don't know if i necessarily agree. Strikeforce was way better than Bellator. Coker/Chou had the ability to make and build some stars when he was on Showtime. I don't know if it is a case of having to appease the executives at Spike or if the Coke has hit a dry spell.

Something isn't working.

The heavyweight tournament makes me feel sad rather than excited. Nobody wants to watch past their due date fighters in this format. All that is missing is a Yamma Pit.

All of this has made me care even less about this company, which I never liked to begin with, even dating back to Bjorn's reign.

The name of the company is a disconnect. It may have flown when they were on ESPN Deportes, but how many years ago was that now????

Signing washed up fighters whenever they are cut by the UFC make them look 2nd rate.

The presentation of the company is absolute garbage.

And fucking fire Jimmy Smith already. I can't stand the sound of that guy's voice.

Last edited:
You realize that you've outed yourself as a weirdo and/or a perv if you ascribe that to everyone else watching WMMA, right?
I ain’t watching it. Unless there’s actual good fighters like top 5 of the division fighting, I’ll skip through it or watch something else. Letorneau is terrible. Like soccer mom trying to fight terrible. I like high level mma. That’s not mma. That’s just chicks trying to fight. The fact that she’s headlining tells you exactly how moron Coker and the rest of spike thinks. If you fought in the UFC, you’re automatically a star and people will tune in to watch you fight. I would’ve watched Letorneau fight if she was the co-main and Mayday was the main but they did me a favor. Now I know to turn the channel right after co-main like I did with the Budd fight. I’ve learned my lesson with these terrible women’s mma fights.

I don't know if i necessarily agree. Strikeforce was way better than Bellator. Coker/Chou had the ability to make and build some stars when he was on Showtime. I don't know if it is a case of having to appease the executives at Spike or if the Coke has hit a dry spell.

Something isn't working.

The heavyweight tournament makes me feel sad rather than excited. Nobody wants to watch past their due date fighters in this format. All that is missing is a Yamma Pit.

All of this has made me care even less about this company, which I never liked to begin with, even dating back to Bjorn's reign.

The name of the company is a disconnect. It may have flown when they were on ESPN Deportes, but how many years ago was that now????

Signing washed up fighters whenever they are cut by the UFC make them look 2nd rate.

The presentation of the company is absolute garbage.

And fucking fire Jimmy Smith already. I can't stand the sound of that guy's voice.

I think you don't watch because of exactly what I said, they don't give us a reason to tune in event after event and the reasons are a little different for everyone. But the main thing is fans are basically cherry picking Bellator events to watch more than ever before and more or less cherry picking just certain fights (ie: peak ratings).

They do need to sign some of these UFC vets. The ratings prove fans tune into them. The peak ratings when they fight are always much higher than many of the non UFC headliners. Yes, us as die hard fans understand some of these guys are just past there prime and offer little in the cage at this point. But there is a reason why idiots tune into a washed up Ken Shamrock still.

I believe Strikeforce was better simply because of the roster being much better. But even back in Strikeforce heyday I mentioned many times on here that a large majority of the match ups was for the sake of that one event and very few matches had any bearing on future match ups. Strikeforce never flowed from show to show. The divisions were just a mess when it came to some sort hierarchy. They also did next to zero on promotion. I had friends that watch every UFC show and they won't even know about a big Strikeforce event going on.

Either way all I know is the current way they are doing business doesn't seem to be generating the ratings for various reasons. There needs to be a major shake up in the match making and scheduling of events.

If you started with this I would have stopped reading. Jimmy is the best in the game. But I guess commentating will always be a subjective taste. I'd be pissed if they ever let him go though.

KEEP ALL THE SHOWS ON FRIDAYS.

A 10 minute hype job for each show on youtube would help as well.

Agreed. Bellators being on Friday is its biggest advantage over UFC for me as a viewer. I like relaxing in front of the tv on Fridays I don't like relaxing in front of the tv on saturdays.

Agreed. Bellators being on Friday is its biggest advantage over UFC for me as a viewer. I like relaxing in front of the tv on Fridays I don't like relaxing in front of the tv on saturdays.

Plus no competition from UFC or boxing.

Tape delay is so fricken dumb. Half the audience likely gambles on fights. Tape delay= no gambling or gamblers already have their result

Incorrect. According to the Bellator website, her fight is the co-main.

Bellator needs to get off that channel if it wants to grow

Incorrect. According to the Bellator website, her fight is the co-main.
Check out their Instagram. Just released a video promoting Letorneau as main event and Mayday as a feature. You should know better than to rely on Bellator’s website.

If you started with this I would have stopped reading. Jimmy is the best in the game. But I guess commentating will always be a subjective taste. I'd be pissed if they ever let him go though.

To each their own.

I'd have forced him out as part of the makeover. I'm not exactly happy with Ranallo or Goldberg either. IMO, Bellator needs their own voice, not another company's -- which is easier said than done.

Check out their Instagram. Just released a video promoting Letorneau as main event and Mayday as a feature. You should know better than to rely on Bellator’s website.

Yep. Never rely on their website. I am a WMMA fan, but I would not have placed her in the main event slot.

Back