Bellator Adds Referee Big John McCarthy As Color Commentator For Bellator 192

Big john did an excellent job on the fight network here in Canada.

Unfortunate we are losing him as a ref as he is without a doubt the best MMA referee. Not to mention he was in UFC #2....

I was kind of hoping he would become a judge though.

I’m definetly intrigued.

Seems like a conflict of interest, especially if he is going to continue refereeing
Only of he's doing shows for a big promotion, IMO. I don't see anything with with him doing regional shows, but yea, there are obvious issues with him reffing a UFC or Bellator event if Bellator is paying him too.

BJM told Marc Raimondi he wouldn't be officiating big shows though, so it doesn't sound like it'll be a problem.

Giving up jimmy smith for big john is like selling your house and renting a tent

Anyone know what type of price Bellator would be paying for him to be an announcer?

Anyone know what type of price Bellator would be paying for him to be an announcer?
He's not going to be an announcer, he's going to be a color commentator. Announcer is what Bruce Buffer does. As far as what price they are paying him, it's probably going to be like 0.35x where x is the amount of money they paid Jimmy Smith for the same job.

He's not going to be an announcer, he's going to be a color commentator. Announcer is what Bruce Buffer does. As far as what price they are paying him, it's probably going to be like 0.35x where x is the amount of money they paid Jimmy Smith for the same job.

Apologies. I rarely use terms such as play by play and color commentating in regular every day conversation as it is very much unnatural to speak like that to every day people. Thanks for your estimation though, and I will continue to not post in these forums often.

I've seen him when he was on Inside MMA with Bas and he's a pretty good analyst.

Back