Bellator announces 10-man welterweight tourney field

It doesn't help the non-Americans, lol. How does that work?

Some people have to go 1 more round than other people.
When a few people have to go 1 round less, it's normally phrased as "a few people get a bye"
When a few people have to go 1 round more, it's normally phrased as "a few people have to play in"
But they're more or less the same thing.

Make a 16 man bracket, then fill in 10 people and the rest byes.

An example with 4 play in games (8 teams) and 4 teams getting a bye:

nfl-playoff-bracket.gif

Bellator will have 2 play in games (4 fighters) and 6 fighters getting bye

I like the tourney idea. But they should have the all the corresponding bouts on the same night. So all opening round fights one night, all semis on the same card later on etc etc

How are the brackets going to work with 10 people? After those fights you'll have an odd number left and someone without a fight?

Am I just being dumb here?
Probably give Rory a 1st round bye & the 10th guy will be an alternate.

Pretty awesome. Surprised they are throwing MVP in there though.

And there should be one forum for UFC and Bellator discussion. Bit stupid having separate subforums.
I bet MVP is also surprised. I'm sensing an injury in his near future.

Some people have to go 1 more round than other people.
When a few people have to go 1 round less, it's normally phrased as "a few people get a bye"
When a few people have to go 1 round more, it's normally phrased as "a few people have to play in"
But they're more or less the same thing.

Make a 16 man bracket, then fill in 10 people and the rest byes.

An example with 4 play in games (8 teams) and 4 teams getting a bye:

nfl-playoff-bracket.gif

Bellator will have 2 play in games (4 fighters) and 6 fighters getting bye

Thanks!

How does Bellator host a 10 man WW tournament and not include two of their most senior veterans Paul Daley and Brennan Ward? Both guys deserve to be in this tournament, especially over newcomers like Ed Ruth and Neumann Gracie. Amos has the record to be in there, but he also doesn’t have any name recognition in Bellator. Shame two veterans in Daley and Ward got snubbed out of the tournament for prospects.

How does Bellator host a 10 man WW tournament and not include two of their most senior veterans Paul Daley and Brennan Ward? Both guys deserve to be in this tournament, especially over newcomers like Ed Ruth and Neumann Gracie. Amos has the record to be in there, but he also doesn’t have any name recognition in Bellator. Shame two veterans in Daley and Ward got snubbed out of the tournament for prospects.
Ward don't deserve to be there he's 1-3 since 2015 and getting finished easily why you so high on this journeyman? Hell I posted a top 16 bellator bracket and he's not even good enough for that.

Ward don't deserve to be there he's 1-3 since 2015 and getting finished easily why you so high on this journeyman? Hell I posted a top 16 bellator bracket and he's not even good enough for that.

He won the last MW tournament Bellator held, and he’s a true veteran of the organization. He had to take a big layoff due to the knee from Daley, but the WW tournament would be a great way for him to prove whether he can come back or not. Definitely deserves it over Ruth who has only been fighting guys with no record. At least Wards losses were to guys like Cyborg and Daley who each have around 40 pro fights in their records.

For everyone confused about the tournament structure:

6 guys are already in the tournament.
- probably Rory, Lima, Koreshkov, Fitch, MVP, Larkin

4 guys will fight for the final 2 spots.
- Gracie, Ruth, Amosov + 1 more TBD

Ed Ruth is a top prospect, dude is a monster. Ward is a journeyman who just isn't good, he certainly doesn't belong with these guys we are talking about. Ruth has the wrestling advantage over most guys if not all of them. Ward has nothing.

And there's still a 10th slot, i think Daley will be part of it.

I don't like that they're doing Lima/Koreshkov 3 already. Both favorites to win the tourney imo and former Champs. They should be on opposite sides of the bracket to have all fresh matchups.
Would of preferred to see Lima/Fitch and
Koreshkov/Larkin.
They have to do MVP /Daley first round so it's not a missed opportunity.

How are the brackets going to work with 10 people? After those fights you'll have an odd number left and someone without a fight?

Am I just being dumb here?
I guess it would be something like an 8 man tournament with 4 guys fighting for the 7th and 8th spot before (1 more round).

What I dont know how to take is that Lima-Koreshkov matchup. They are clearly the #2 and #3 guys after Rory and they are cleaning on of them in the 1rst round?

But on the other side is an amazing fight and I hate when promoters speculate with results and then the fights everybody wants to see ends up not happening because someone loses.

At first sight the tournament is freaking awesome. Bunch of elite guys and top prospects. Ed Ruth has some giant balls to get in there with all those killers.

And maybe we will see MVP fight someone legit.

"Officials told MMA Fighting’s Shaun Al-Shatti that a 10th participant is still to be named and there will be two play-in matches to determine the final eight-man bracket."

I still don't get what it means. 8 fighters plus two guys fighting to be the alternate makes sense, but it's not what I understand from that sentence.
I guess is:

4 fighters fighting eachother to get into the quarter finals
6 fighters already in quarter finals

How about finishing the fucking HW Tourney before bringing on new tourneys? Am I the only one thinking this? The HW Tourney will be done by 2019 given the current pace.

I bet MVP is also surprised. I'm sensing an injury in his near future.
I’m sure he was on the phone Bitching at his manager. Dude I’ve heard of these fighters in the tournament. What am I doing in it? Get me out! Get me a boxing match now with a dude who is 0-6 to save face.

Back