Bellator Bantamweight champion, Darrion Caldwell; moving up to Featherweight

Thanks for the correction, this is even more of an achievement. There have been many good NCAA All-Americans, and some champions. But have there been many 2/3/4 times champion?

A good amount of 2 timers (not in MMA though), 3 (and 4) timers separate themselves from the pack even in wrestling circles though. Ruth has a good chance of being something special. Not just Bellator special either, but all around MMA special.

. But have there been many 2/3/4 times champion?

Looks like basically just Ruth and Rosholt (not counting Schultz one fight). And Ruth comes with 10x's the athleticism of The Big Slow. Also
Stephen Abas went 3-0 on the regional level 10 years after 3-timing and quit to be an MMA coach.

Askren, Kole Conrad, Hendricks, and Mocco (half assed), Randleman (don't get how he wasn't even better at MMA).
Screenshot_20180624-161738.png

Screenshot_20180624-161759.png
Screenshot_20180624-161811.png

Screenshot_20180624-161818.png

Last edited:
Looks like basically hust Ruth and Rosholt (not counting Schultz one fight). And Ruth comes with 10x's the athleticism of The Big Slow. Also
Stephen Abas went 3-0 on the regional level 10 years after 3-timing and quit to be an MMA coach.

Askren, Kole Conrad, Hendricks, and Mocco (half assed), Randleman (don't get how he wasn't even better at MMA).
View attachment 397479

View attachment 397481
View attachment 397483

View attachment 397485
That is an amazing list. John Smith only won 2 titles but became one of the best American wrestlers in history. It just goes to show what absolute beasts these guys are to win multiple times.

Caldwell is really good. Along with Chandler he is the best Bellator homegrown talent.

He should be more hyped.

Good for him, its great to see fighters that aren't afraid to test themselves and not be so afraid of leaving their weight class. Ill give his next fight a watch.​

Call this a theory.. but I think Gallagher may have been wanting an easier path to a title. I really think Gallagher had little to offer Patricio Friere, even littler to offer against Caldwell (their wrestling is miles apart), I think Caldwell would make Gallagher look like a child.

But now that Caldwell is up at 145 (if permanent), there are not so many challenges at 135 except Dantas, Higo and McDonald.

Caldwell jumping up to 145 (where he'll still be huge for the weight) coinciding exactly with Gallagher dropping down is suspicious, I agree.

I don't see Gallagher as a top talent. He lacks the striking and wrestling and raw physical horsepower to compete with the top tier. Will be interesting to see how fast Bellator progress him to a fight with Dantas, who I assume will pick up the belt in Caldwell's absence.

Why him or AJ cant get a fight with Gallagher? Caldwell is going to get derailed by Pico most likely.
No way would Caldwell be derailed by Pico, at least not presently. Pico really is a talent, but he is still young and green. He has a long way. Caldwell isn't the most complete, but his grappling is truly second to none. it would be a great fight, but I would favor Caldwell over Pico for the time being.

Caldwell jumping up to 145 (where he'll still be huge for the weight) coinciding exactly with Gallagher dropping down is suspicious, I agree.

I don't see Gallagher as a top talent. He lacks the striking and wrestling and raw physical horsepower to compete with the top tier. Will be interesting to see how fast Bellator progress him to a fight with Dantas, who I assume will pick up the belt in Caldwell's absence.
Completely agree with your assessment of Gallagher. He is basically Conor lite and has some ability, but he is definitely lacking the 'it' factor in multiple respects. He isn't brutally strong. he doesn't have standout striking. his grappling is decent, but nothing to write home about. He is undefeated because he has been getting gimmies. The moment he fights a Mckee, pico, caldwell, sanchez, pitbull he is done. I know he is extremely young, but I feel like he will have a fairly low ceiling.

Back