Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals predictions?

Fedor beats Sonnen
Bader beats Mittrione
Cro Cop beats Nelson
Bader get injured
Cro Cop beats Fedor
Easy

Fedor vs Chael: I think Chael is going to surprise many, and come out and try and stand with Fedor. After a minute or so of feeling each other out, both start throwing the haymakers. Fedor is the first one to land big. Chael immediately goes into panic wrestling mode. Fedor sprawls, lands a few more. Chael goes to mat, gives his back up to avoid being hit, and Fedor finishes him at the 3-minute mark of Rd 1.

Mitrione vs Bader: both fighters start by feeling each other out for a few minutes, throwing mostly ineffectual jabs and low kicks. After a few minutes, Bader pressures Mitrione, drops level and shoots, securing a td. Bader comes out in Rd 2 very aggressive, tries to bull rush Mitrione, and gets clipped with a straight right on the way in. Mitrione follows up with GNP en route to a tko stoppage in the first minute of Rd 2.

Fedor vs Mitrione II: both try to pick their shots in the first minute. After a minute or so, they both start throwing the haymakers. Fedor lands first this time, drops Mitrione, then follows him to the ground and finishes via tko stoppage. Fedor wins the Grand Prix.

Having said all that...any one of these fights are essentially coin flips. Though I'd put Fedor at about 2:1 favorite over Chael.

I think Bader wins the whole thing, younger sharper and just as much power as anyone else. Final will be Bader vs Sonnen.

Fedor beats Chael. Fedor has never really had trouble with wrestlers and that's pretty much all that Sonnen does at this point. He is still a very good wrestler but his stand up looked poor vs Wanderlei. I don't think Chael is dangerous enough to give Fedor problems.

Bader beats Mitrione. We saw Mitrione struggle on the ground vs Nelson. Bader is a better wrestler, has better ground and pound and is closer to his prime than Nelson. Of course Mitrione could catch Bader standing up but Bader's striking isn't bad at all.
Did you not see chaels striking vs rampage ?

He has improved. I don’t think he will beat fedor though due to his propensity for becoming flustered and overwhelmed when getting beat up standing.

Chael will handle Fedor he keeps hands High and mixes take downs and war jab.

I have Fedor Vs Bader in the final and Bader wins via just being a better fighter at the point.

Bader/Mitrione will be for the true championship IMO. Two best fighters left.

Fedor over Chael
Bader over Meathead (had meathead winning this when brackets came out but his takedown defense against Roy was worse than I would have thought. Not sure why so many are sticking with him over Bader even though he has a punchers chance for sure.)
Bader over Fedor

Meathead/Bader seems like the least predictable fight. Bader is more skilled and on a roll atm but i'd slightly favour Meathead due to his size and heavy hands.

Chael will be able to wrestlefuck Fedor for a while but his poor stand up and issues with sub defence will probably get him caught at some point.

Winner of Meathead/Bader easily beats Fedor.

I reckon juiced to the gills CC beats Big Country and could potentially win the whole thing if he gets in.

Fedor beats Chael. Fedor has never really had trouble with wrestlers and that's pretty much all that Sonnen does at this point. He is still a very good wrestler but his stand up looked poor vs Wanderlei. I don't think Chael is dangerous enough to give Fedor problems.

Bader beats Mitrione. We saw Mitrione struggle on the ground vs Nelson. Bader is a better wrestler, has better ground and pound and is closer to his prime than Nelson. Of course Mitrione could catch Bader standing up but Bader's striking isn't bad at all.

Yeah, given Mitrione's struggles with Nelson's wrestling, I see this as Bader's easiest path to win. Nelson is 40+ year old fat fighter whose original base was BJJ but later became a brawler. He has no wrestling background beyond high school. Bader is a much more proficient D1 wrestler with better strength & conditioning. That said, Bader has a suspect chin so Mitrione has a puncher's chance, but I think that's the only way he wins. I give Bader at least a 70% chance of winning.

As for Fedor never having trouble with wrestlers, he never fought an elite HW wrestler (like prime Cain or Cormier at HW). Coleman was a 40+ year old one-dimensional fighter, while Randleman was a LWH with a mediocre record. That said, while I want Chael to win, the match favors Fedor. Chael is another wrestler who belongs at MW (like Lindland) and lacks punching power (like Hendo had). Fedor's size advantage plus judo/sambo plus KO power makes him a very tough opponent for Chael.

Fedor by KO against Chael
Mittrione by KO against Bader

Mittrione by KO again over Fedor :(

<Fedor23>

Easy Bader via ko/tko his wrestling and timing are leagues better than meathead.
Fedor is too strong to be wrestle fucked by Chael, the emperor will get another tko here.
Final Bader v Fedor. And Bader 2x champ.
Only match I got wrong in the semi was Nelson v Mitrione and Nelson should have won if he'd have gone to wrestling sooner.

Fedor vs Bader though Meathead def has a chance.

I think Bader/Meathead winner wins the whole thing.

Bellator has to be praying Fedor wins it all so they can book Fedor vs Cro Cop if he beats Nelson.

Back