Bellator HW Tourny Alternates to be announced @ BMMA 192 post-fight press conference

If it's after BAMMA then I'd guess it'd be guys like Defries,oil Thompson.

i'm surprised no one mentioned Tito's name yet. he fixed his injuries and i think fits well in that older gentlemans club.

Tito will NEVER fight again.

He' got millions,got a wife and kids,and he turned down grudge match fights since....

Highly doubt he wants in on a HW tourney he'd get annihalated.

Kongo
Lashley
Kharitonov
Ayala
Wren
Fortune

But it’s Bellator so Mousasi, Wanderlei, Royce, Phil Davis, Tito, Tank Abbott, etc. are all possibilities.

If you replaced Chael vs Rampage and Bader vs Mo with Lashley vs Kongo and Wren vs Kharitonov you would almost have a respectable HW tournament.

Carwin would be a great alternate.

i hope they are planning something special for Kongo. would be ridicilous to have him as an alternate. As stupid as it sounds he is their nr 1 HW.

Still scratching my head with having Sonnen a MW move up two weight classes when they're have real HW's that could compete

Still scratching my head with having Sonnen a MW move up two weight classes when they're have real HW's that could compete

Sonnen is a big name and one of Bellator's biggest stars so i understand the reasoning why they did it but like most of us on these boards i dont agree with the choice to have him in this hw gp one bit.

Sonnen is about done but he's still a bigger name for bellator. Throwing him against page actually makes a lot of sense. Only thing is i wish this was a 16 man tourney then you could throw kongo, ayala, lashley, sergei etc in as well and it'd be sick as hell.

So who are the alternates???

Sonnen is about done but he's still a bigger name for bellator. Throwing him against page actually makes a lot of sense. Only thing is i wish this was a 16 man tourney then you could throw kongo, ayala, lashley, sergei etc in as well and it'd be sick as hell.

Agree with every aspect of that. My concern is title fights were always the pinnacle of the sport. In recent years the UFC has been making a mockery of the belt. I hoped Bellator wouldn't do the same. Regardless of name value ,people still know Page and Sonnen are on the card as Co - Main which will draw. Not sure the swap makes a difference in number of viewers. Think it is a better statement for MMA and what the title means by having it as the Main event.

The Co Main Bellator could have done a big into introducing the HW tourney. Got people excited, watched, would stick around for Macdonald vs Lima and build their profiles. We know that fight won't be boring .

Integrity of the title is going to diminish if names mean more that the belt now. The thing is the biggest names got that way fighting for the belt and / or winning it in the first place. When these fighters disappear, then what? Point being. It's a slippery slope for ratings now with no regard for the future.

In case you missed the pre-fight conference, it was confirmed by Coker today.

Final predictions for alternates, anyone?

Mine are:
Cheick Kongo
Justin Wren
Bobby Lashley (bold prediction)
Phil De Fries

Good picks. I'd be happy with all of those. As long as there is a reserve bracket that they have to compete in.

Well?

did they announce alternates?

Back