• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Bellator MMA 115: Minakov vs Kongo 7:00PM ET Prelims/9PM ET MAIN CARD DISCUSSION

I would just like to see Bellator fights that are actually interesting. They need to offer finish bonuses, because this is a joke.

Yeah... The average Bellator card has as many/more finishes as the average UFC card. Over the last couple years I would say Bellator has a higher % of finishes.

Tonight was a pretty bad card. It was free on a channel everybody has.

Minikov beat a decent fighter tonight, although he doesn't look like a top 5 caliber HW to me yet. Cain had an ugly fight against Kongo as well, but Minikov doesn't look to be on Cain/JDS level.

so...who do u think herb was favoring? kuz i cant tell..

Really? I thought it was a really bad fight. Both guys gassing early, kongo being tentative on the feet, a million rule violations, and terrible ground game by both fighters.

I thought it was pretty obvious, Kongo gets 3+ warnings for grabbing the shorts with no point deductions and is allowed to hold Minakovs legs without doing shit for a whole round. On the other hand Minakov gets point deduction on the second, clearly unintentional, offense and get's stood up while ground and pounding Kongo in the face.

Yeah... The average Bellator card has as many/more finishes as the average UFC card. Over the last couple years I would say Bellator has a higher % of finishes.

Tonight was a pretty bad card. It was free on a channel everybody has.

Minikov beat a decent fighter tonight, although he doesn't look like a top 5 caliber HW to me yet. Cain had an ugly fight against Kongo as well, but Minikov doesn't look to be on Cain/JDS level.

Top 5 caliber? Are you serious? He doesn't even look like top 10 HW.

Top 5 caliber? Are you serious? He doesn't even look like top 10 HW.

Old Nog
Miocic
Hunt

Those are #8-9-10

Minikov could beat those guys on a given night. He isn't bad because he beat Kongo 4-1 :icon_neut

It was one of his forst big fights, was he supposed to come out and jump spin kick KO Kongo? He won the fight.

EDIT: And yes, I'm SERIOUS.. Minikov doesn't look top 5 caliber yet :rolleyes:

Minakov always had suspect cardio IMO. He needs to work on his cardio, his takedowns are solid, he gutted it out in the 5th, this could have been a draw if he lost that round.

I thought it was pretty obvious, Kongo gets 3+ warnings for grabbing the shorts with no point deductions and is allowed to hold Minakovs legs without doing shit for a whole round. On the other hand Minakov gets point deduction on the second, clearly unintentional, offense and get's stood up while ground and pounding Kongo in the face.

so you're saying you think holding a guys pants three times should be punished as harshly as kicking/kneeing a guy in the balls at full speed?

The rationale being that hitting someone in the balls twice like a minute apart is more damaging to your ability to fight than a guy grabbing your shorts a little.

Dude above me appears to have just pointed that out, too.

Old Nog
Miocic
Hunt

Those are #8-9-10

Minikov could beat those guys on a given night. He isn't bad because he beat Kongo 4-1 :icon_neut

It was one of his forst big fights, was he supposed to come out and jump spin kick KO Kongo? He won the fight.

EDIT: And yes, I'm SERIOUS.. Minikov doesn't look top 5 caliber yet :rolleyes:

i agree and think minakov is about the top10 range, but i dont think he stands much of a chance against nog or hunt. we saw what his ground game looks like and he doesnt have the cardio to hang with either of these guys. He's probably not gonna finish hunt and i cant help but think nog could stumble a way into bottom half guard, sweep him with ease and catch a nice sub.

i agree and think minakov is about the top10 range, but i dont think he stands much of a chance against nog or hunt. we saw what his ground game looks like and he doesnt have the cardio to hang with either of these guys. He's probably not gonna finish hunt and i cant help but think nog could stumble a way into bottom half guard, sweep him with ease and catch a nice sub.

His ground game looks great when he's on top and has good defense on the bottom. His Sambo base would make it very hard for Nog/Hunt to get him down..

My bias of course says Hunt KORD1 but Nog on the other hand..

Man my internet died just after the event started. It made me a sad, sad panda.:icon_chee

His ground game looks great when he's on top and has good defense on the bottom. His Sambo base would make it very hard for Nog/Hunt to get him down..

My bias of course says Hunt KORD1 but Nog on the other hand..

lol his ground game looked terrible on top and bottom. Sure he trains sambo, he's not acomplete animal at it. I feel like when people label a fighter a certain style, they just assume they're absolutely unstoppable at that which Minakov is not.

CHEICK KONGO took him down multiple times. When minakov gasses, he will get outstruck, outgrappled, and easily taken down by a guy like nog.

Back