Bellator winding up with three champ-champs would be disastrous

Mob69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen discussed much that really should be highlighted are the risks that Bellator is currently running by allowing three incumbent champions fighters to chase titles outside of their weight classes.

Bader, the LHW champion, is likely to win the HW Grand Prix.

MacDonald, the WW champion, could win the MW title next month.

Caldwell, the BW champion, is clearly being prepped for a FW title fight.

I'm not predicting that all three of these individuals will succeed. For example, I favour Mousasi over Rory, due to size and style. Although, that said, Rory winning is certainly possible, despite some people on the forum having a fetish for Moose. The point is that Bellator, by following the UFC's recent fascination with weight-class jumping, is looking at utter chaos. In principle, of Bellator's seven men's divisions, six of the titles could be held by just three men.

If someone becomes a champ-champ, either (i) they keep both belts, in which case the realities of how long it takes to prepare for a fight and then recover mean that two divisions will slow to a crawl or (ii) they vacate one of the belts, thus ensuring that whoever becomes the new champion in that division lacks legitimacy.

Either way, that is hardly a good outcome for Bellator. They have a lot of TV shows to fill out, and need title defences to headline them. They also need viewers to take their champions seriously if they are to really make progress as a company.

This smacks of the short-termism that has been the hallmark of WME decision-making over in Las Vegas.

Its kinda short-sighted, however, Bellator has signed some really good, exciting, fighters last few years. Many of them have a very high level wrestling background and a pretty solid following of fans. I think itl be ok. One thing Ive been saying about Bellator for years, I think they have an ugly product. It just doesn't look good on TV. Maybe its the coloring but its just not as pleasing to the eye as the UFC.

One thing Ive been saying about Bellator for years, I think they have an ugly product. It just doesn't look good on TV. Maybe its the coloring but its just not as pleasing to the eye as the UFC.

That is true. I love the round cage, but wish the canvas colouring was darker. On top of that, here in the U.K., Bellator isn’t even broadcast in HD! It’s on some minor channel that is a pain to watch.

That is true. I love the round cage, but wish the canvas colouring was darker. On top of that, here in the U.K., Bellator isn’t even broadcast in HD! It’s on some minor channel that is a pain to watch.

Yeah there is definitely something off about Bellators TV presence. Everything from the visual to the audio. The UFC has it down. Bellator needs to make some changes to the camera work, color of the canvas, and the audio. I feel like Michael C Williams is going to put me to sleep when he’s announcing the fighters.

Yeah there is definitely something off about Bellators TV presence. Everything from the visual to the audio. The UFC has it down. Bellator needs to make some changes to the camera work, color of the canvas, and the audio. I feel like Michael C Williams is going to put me to sleep when he’s announcing the fighters.

Yep. Plus the broadcast booth is often terrible. Goldie and John don’t even talk about the fight that is actually happening in front of the viewer. When the UFC moves to ESPN, I hope Bellator pick up some of the Fox employees. Kenny Florian would be a very good colour commentator for them.

Yep. Plus the broadcast booth is often terrible. Goldie and John don’t even talk about the fight that is actually happening in front of the viewer. When the UFC moves to ESPN, I hope Bellator pick up some of the Fox employees. Kenny Florian would be a very good colour commentator for them.
I doubt Kenny would jump ship. He has his hand in a lot of UFC media type jobs and Im sure he's making a nice living. Some of my favorite commentators from the past would be nice though. Frank Shamrock, Pat Militech, Phil Baroni, Frank Trigg, Schivello,, etc. Who is the Bellator team currently?

My favorite TV product was actually Dream when they went to the white cage. But the UFC has always been great too.

Bellator and the UFCs product looks identical on TV imo. I don't see a difference. All I see is a good fight or a flimsy fight. UFC has hype and has been around. Bellator has pure fights that are earned positions for titles. UFC has favorites. No difference!!!

Can't possibly be worse than having M'Pumbu get dominated by Wiuff yet keep his title.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much that really should be highlighted are the risks that Bellator is currently running by allowing three incumbent champions fighters to chase titles outside of their weight classes.

Bader, the LHW champion, is likely to win the HW Grand Prix.

MacDonald, the WW champion, could win the MW title next month.

Caldwell, the BW champion, is clearly being prepped for a FW title fight.

I'm not predicting that all three of these individuals will succeed. For example, I favour Mousasi over Rory, due to size and style. Although, that said, Rory winning is certainly possible, despite some people on the forum having a fetish for Moose. The point is that Bellator, by following the UFC's recent fascination with weight-class jumping, is looking at utter chaos. In principle, of Bellator's seven men's divisions, six of the titles could be held by just three men.

If someone becomes a champ-champ, either (i) they keep both belts, in which case the realities of how long it takes to prepare for a fight and then recover mean that two divisions will slow to a crawl or (ii) they vacate one of the belts, thus ensuring that whoever becomes the new champion in that division lacks legitimacy.

Either way, that is hardly a good outcome for Bellator. They have a lot of TV shows to fill out, and need title defences to headline them. They also need viewers to take their champions seriously if they are to really make progress as a company.

This smacks of the short-termism that has been the hallmark of WME decision-making over in Las Vegas.
Bellator is pretty slow on booking title fight to begin with they haven't had a HW title fight since April 2014, and Nov 2013 before that.
LHW June 2017 - Nov 2017 and Nov 2016. *Nov 2017 replacement fight Davis stepped in after Mo pulled out so it'd have been 1 year plus without a defense if not for that.
MW May 2018, Dec 2017, April 2017, may 2016, Oct 2015.
WW Jan 2018, June 2017, nov 2016.
LW JUN 2017, nov 2016
FW Jul 2018, April 2017 Nov 2015.
BW oct 2017, Dec 2016.
It's laughable that you think a two division champion will slow this down in anyway noticeably.

I doubt there's a record of anyone having 3 title fights in a year in bellator and usually it's 1 a year. So if 3 men really can be dominant in 2 divisions they can EASILY fight 2-3 times a year and defend both without bellator slowing down their title match output. Rory, bader and Caldwell can be more active get paid more and give bellator huge stars if it happened.

Last edited:
What is it with this Bader is more likely to win the Bellator Heavyweight Tournament? Bader couldn't take punches from Anthony Johnson, and Glover Teixeira and Lyoto Machida, why do people think he can take any punch from Matt Mitrione, a true heavyweight. And Fedor punches are solid as well. I've never seen such ridiculousness about this Bader heavyweight love. Get out of here with that mess.

What is it with this Bader is more likely to win the Bellator Heavyweight Tournament? Bader couldn't take punches from Anthony Johnson, and Glover Teixeira and Lyoto Machida, why do people think he can take any punch from Matt Mitrione, a true heavyweight. And Fedor punches are solid as well. I've never seen such ridiculousness about this Bader heavyweight love. Get out of here with that mess.

I had Meathead winning it all before the first round. After seeing how easy Big Country secured takedowns on Meathead, I switched my pick. Matts TDD looked terrible. Mitrione has legit power and speed in his hands so he will have a chance always, but I think he ends up on his back.

Winner of Bader/Meathead should beat Fedor or Chael.

Last edited:
I had Meathead winning it all before the first round. After seeing how easy Big Country secured takedowns on Meathead, I switched my pick. Matts TDD looked terrible. Mitrione has legit power and speed in his hands so he will have a chance always, but I think he ends up on his back.

Winner of Bader/Meathead should bead Fedor or Chael.
Fine, it's your opinion, but Ryan Bader can't take punches, and Roy Nelson is a big heavyweight that could hold Matt Mitrione down, Ryan Bader is not. And again, Ryan Bader can't take punches.

Fine, it's your opinion, but Ryan Bader can't take punches, and Roy Nelson is a big heavyweight that could hold Matt Mitrione down, Ryan Bader is not. And again, Ryan Bader can't take punches.

It should be a good fight. I think the winner should be comfortable favorites in the finals.

Does it really matter.

They will always play second fiddle anyway.

Does it really matter.

They will always play second fiddle anyway.
It matters to them and their pay checks to be able to support themselves and their families. So what do they care about playing second fiddle in your head? Seriously, they don't matter to you, well it goes both ways, you don't matter to them.

Mitrione can't take punches either it's just as likely he's ko'ed here Nelson and Browne did it esay enough. Bader has every advantage here youth, speed, endurance, fight IQ, and wrestling. You can favour Matt's punchers chance but most analysis say he's getting beat badly.

Huge value on Matt Mitrione at +195 vs Ryan Bader in this HW G.P. semi-final bout.

Mitrione can't take punches either it's just as likely he's ko'ed here Nelson and Browne did it esay enough. Bader has every advantage here youth, speed, endurance, fight IQ, and wrestling. You can favour Matt's punchers chance but most analysis say he's getting beat badly.
He doesn't have the size or power advantage however. He's also been knocked out three times in professional bouts compared to Mitrione's two times.

Roy Nelson and Travis Browne are true big heavyweights who punch heavy, Bader got knocked out by Light Heavyweights. And Matt Mitrione has bounced back in actual fights from being hit hard by actual heavyweights, Carl Seumanutafa and Fedor Emelianenko, and knocked them out. While when Bader has faced that kind of adversity, he just wilted up and lost.

Back