Belt and competition division

__guardian__

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I don't want my blue belt. My trainer told me explicitly I'd have it after competition. But I did crap in this competition.

He insists that's partly because I mentally failed, I can fight much better than I did. Also I competed in a weight category 10Kg over my current weight, because I passed selection tournament for this category few months ago.

But still, these are no excuses, the fact is: I did fucking crap, I failed. In any other sport, Tennis, Judo, Golf or wrestling, you go to compete in a better division based on your score in lower division. Technical grades (belt or others) may require some competition achievements, but never the opposite.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu is literally the only sport in which a random coach can decide for you in which division you compete, let alone the fact that you cannot downgrade if you get beaten all the time...

Do you think I should stand firm and refuse altogether?
Do you think like me that competition division should be completely independent of belts? Whether it is tennis style (no grades, just competition ranking), Judo (black belt requires minimal competition achievement) , taekwon do (the two are mutually independent) ?

I don't want my blue belt. My trainer told me explicitly I'd have it after competition. But I did crap in this competition.

He insists that's partly because I mentally failed, I can fight much better than I did. Also I competed in a weight category 10Kg over my current weight, because I passed selection tournament for this category few months ago.

But still, these are no excuses, the fact is: I did fucking crap, I failed. In any other sport, Tennis, Judo, Golf or wrestling, you go to compete in a better division based on your score in lower division. Technical grades (belt or others) may require some competition achievements, but never the opposite.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu is literally the only sport in which a random coach can decide for you in which division you compete, let alone the fact that you cannot downgrade if you get beaten all the time...

Do you think like me that competition division should be completely independent of belts? Whether it is tennis style (no grades, just competition ranking), Judo (black belt requires minimal competition achievement) , taekwon do (the two are mutually independent) ?
I think you’re taking this way too seriously. You must not have bills to pay.

Don’t wear it until you feel you have earned it.

Maybe the coach feels that you did well enough competing in a weight class above to warrant it, but I wouldnt

If you equate belt color with ability then should Rickson Gracie wear a white belt when he's 90?

I think you’re taking this way too seriously. You must not have bills to pay.

I do have bills to pay :)
I it just a sport, but I like competition, and I do not want to compete at a level I'm not capable of.

If you equate belt color with ability then should Rickson Gracie wear a white belt when he's 90?

Well it is an honorific tittle in his case. My point is not about abilities, it is about my desire to compete at a level where I can!
I do not give a fuck about the belt, I can wear a pink or a rainbow fucking belt all my life at training if they want. But I do not want to be forced to compete in an upper division before I feel comfortable with it!!! ;)

Maybe you have developed the skills necessary to promote but you're just an inferior athlete? Might want to look into acquiring some gear.

Well it is an honorific tittle in his case. My point is not about abilities, it is about my desire to compete at a level where I can!
I do not give a fuck about the belt, I can wear a pink or a rainbow fucking belt all my life at training if they want. But I do not want to be forced to compete in an upper division before I feel comfortable with it!!! ;)

Based on your posts, what would you do if you stay a white belt until you've beaten all the white belts in the entire world so you finally feel good about your promotion. Then you get your blue belt but a white belt smashes you? Are you going to demote yourself back to white belt?

Based on your posts, what would you do if you stay a white belt until you've beaten all the white belts in the entire world so you finally feel good about your promotion. Then you get your blue belt but a white belt smashes you? Are you going to demote yourself back to white belt?

I'm interested in competing at a level that's "fun". I would not enjoy a competing in a division where I win everyone by submission in 1min. I would not either enjoy competing in a division where I got submitted first round every time.

I want to be in a division where I have reasonable chances of podium in a good day, but where I'm gonna have to fight hard for it. I do not care about the belt, but yes if I'm in division number 3 and always loose all my match I'll be downgraded to division 4. This is what happens in other sports. And yes this is something I would agree upon: to compete with people of similar level.

It is not about beating all white belts in the world or loosing against one one time. It is about competing at the right level, the one that gives me the flow and adrenaline rush I enjoy in my busy life, being upgraded or downgraded anytime as needed to compete against my peers of similar level and skills.

You’re taking this way too serious. Your coach wants to promote you. You should feel honored. Don’t worry about how you’ll do against other blue belts. Work your ass off and show everyone how legit you are. Going against better people will make you even better. You also don’t want to look like you’re sand bagging. Not saying that’s what you are or wanna do. Just go compete and have fun. That’s what it’s all about, bruh.

I'm interested in competing at a level that's "fun". I would not enjoy a competing in a division where I win everyone by submission in 1min. I would not either enjoy competing in a division where I got submitted first round every time.

I want to be in a division where I have reasonable chances of podium in a good day, but where I'm gonna have to fight hard for it. I do not care about the belt, but yes if I'm in division number 3 and always loose all my match I'll be downgraded to division 4. This is what happens in other sports. And yes this is something I would agree upon: to compete with people of similar level.

It is not about beating all white belts in the world or loosing against one one time. It is about competing at the right level, the one that gives me the flow and adrenaline rush I enjoy in my busy life, being upgraded or downgraded anytime as needed to compete against my peers of similar level and skills.

Translated - "I want to be in a division where I will all the time because I can't handle losing."

Maybe you have developed the skills necessary to promote but you're just an inferior athlete? Might want to look into acquiring some gear.

:) This is definitely a problem. I need to loose an extra 10Kg. I used to bench ~8 reps 100Kg a year ago, but I have no flexibility, no cardio, and a nice little belly of the happy married man! But I enjoy BJJ much more than weightlifting or running.... ;)

Translated - "I want to be in a division where I will all the time because I can't handle losing."
I'm not sure whether it is my English, but I'm not sure you read me... I do not care loosing. I want competition to be of interest. I handle loosing very well, and I learn from it. But competing against much better people just to get destroyed is simply absurd.

You’re taking this way too serious. Your coach wants to promote you. You should feel honored. Don’t worry about how you’ll do against other blue belts. Work your ass off and show everyone how legit you are. Going against better people will make you even better. You also don’t want to look like you’re sand bagging. Not saying that’s what you are or wanna do. Just go compete and have fun. That’s what it’s all about, bruh.

You may be right... it is just that I enjoy competing, and at blue belt, I know that for a few years, it'll mean paying 100$ driving few hours, getting submitted under 1min going back home. I like to pass at least one or two hard rounds before getting beaten, learn stuffs and all.

I have never taken a BJJ class but I knew of a tournament about 20 miles away. I lost both my matches but it was fun. Got armbarred twice, hyperextended once, and that arm wasnt right for about 6 months. I lasted about a minute both times.

I have never taken a BJJ class but I knew of a tournament about 20 miles away. I lost both my matches but it was fun. Got armbarred twice, hyperextended once, and that arm wasnt right for about 6 months. I lasted about a minute both times.

But what was the point then ? Did you learn anything ?

You may be right... it is just that I enjoy competing, and at blue belt, I know that for a few years, it'll mean paying 100$ driving few hours, getting submitted under 1min going back home. I like to pass at least one or two hard rounds before getting beaten, learn stuffs and all.
I get that you wanna compete and be competitive in the tournaments but you’ll get there. Training is a good time to get that in too. My coach always said you need 3 different types of people to roll with in order to get better. You have the guys that just push your shit in every time you roll. The guys you’re really even with. And the last one is the guys that you push their shit in. Like I said, your head is in the right place, but you’re also over thinking it. Just have fun man.

<GinJuice>

Buy a black belt and enter the black belt division. Win. On the podium, pull your white belt out of your gi and yell...

"Surprise mother fuckers!"

giphy.gif

This sounds like an interesting story. What prompted you to do this? Any wrestling experience? Do tell.

Back