Ben Askren: "as good as Tony Ferguson is, I don't think he's good enough to stop Khabib..."

hes-right-you-know.jpg

Obviously it doesn't take much to stop Khabib. He's been injured for the past 3 years.

Ben Askren:

"Some guys like Khabib have figured out how to make contact with taking very little damage. The second part of that would be — and this is funny, a lot of former wrestlers don't do this because it's not a freestyle thing, but a folkstyle thing — he is able to control so well.

The second part is, once he gets them down, he controls the sh*t out of them. Like I said, you don't usually see that out of international wrestlers."
Luke Thomas:

"Give me an example. What are some of the principles of control you're talking about?"
Ben Askren:

"Sure, getting wrist control on top. If the bottom is actually going to get up, he's going to have to turn over at some point to his knees. The whole kick them off thing, that doesn't really work anymore. It's very rare. So, you're going to have to turn over if you're going to get up. When they do turn over, if you can get wrist control ... if it's their left hand and your right, it's cross wrist. If it's your left on their left or right on right, then it's inside wrist. Once you control their wrist, you take one of their blocks away. In addition, if you apply pressure correctly, it's very hard for them to stand up, too, when they don't have that hand.

So, if you watch a lot of my fights, I get a lot of wrist control. Khabib does that. Phil Davis does it really, really well. There are people figuring out this wrist control stuff."

Tony doesn't have to do jack until Khabib puts the tiramisu down

Either way, tony or Khabib is the best LW in the world and no one else is really close.

big khabib fan, but i need to see him fight to get behind him again

Askren always has a soft spot for his fellow grapplers. I think he's also a big Khabib fan.

Tonys wrestling is not good enough to stop khabib from doing what he wants, he's been taken down by much lesser wrestlers like trujilo, kevin lee, almost every fight.

He might be right, Fergs 10 fight win streak is very impressive indeed. But what khabib has been able to do to opponents is utter domination for the most part. Crazy amount of skill.

"Tony's good. He's really good. With that being said, I guess my general feeling would be as good as Tony Ferguson is, I don't think he's good enough to stop Khabib from implementing the style he wants to implement." - Ben Askren

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/...en-on-khabib-nurmagomedovs-wrestling-mma-news
_______________________________​

Ben Askren:

"Some guys like Khabib have figured out how to make contact with taking very little damage. The second part of that would be — and this is funny, a lot of former wrestlers don't do this because it's not a freestyle thing, but a folkstyle thing — he is able to control so well.

The second part is, once he gets them down, he controls the sh*t out of them. Like I said, you don't usually see that out of international wrestlers."
Luke Thomas:

"Give me an example. What are some of the principles of control you're talking about?"
Ben Askren:

"Sure, getting wrist control on top. If the bottom is actually going to get up, he's going to have to turn over at some point to his knees. The whole kick them off thing, that doesn't really work anymore. It's very rare. So, you're going to have to turn over if you're going to get up. When they do turn over, if you can get wrist control ... if it's their left hand and your right, it's cross wrist. If it's your left on their left or right on right, then it's inside wrist. Once you control their wrist, you take one of their blocks away. In addition, if you apply pressure correctly, it's very hard for them to stand up, too, when they don't have that hand.

So, if you watch a lot of my fights, I get a lot of wrist control. Khabib does that. Phil Davis does it really, really well. There are people figuring out this wrist control stuff."

Wrist control? So master Seagal was right after all?? :D

I will take Askrens word and experience over a bunch of self loathing Khabib haters.

War the Eagle.

Back