Ben Askren: "as good as Tony Ferguson is, I don't think he's good enough to stop Khabib..."

Khabib is out 2 years, comes back and beats 2 mid level guys. Then does not show up to the biggest fight of his career, and is out another year and people still say he is the best.. Yikes..

I will take Askrens word and experience over a bunch of self loathing Khabib haters.

War the Eagle.

Over and over fighters takes on fights have proven to be no more accurate than fans. How many times have we heard total breakdowns only for the fight to be nothing like that?

Over and over fighters takes on fights have proven to be no more accurate than fans. How many times have we heard total breakdowns only for the fight to be nothing like that?

True but he isnt exactly giving a breakdown of the fight more a breakdown pf Khabibs style vs what he has seen of Ferg

Yea because Kevin has Khabibs cardio and submission game.

From what we've seen, Khabib has pretty bad cardio. He's never gone 5 rounds before and this should be a mark against him here, not for him.

He won a very controversial decision over Tibau, and that wasn't the only fight we saw him fatigued in.

Regarding submission game, I'm not really aware of it. Generally he's won positional grappling decisions.

Kevin and Khabib aren't in the same stratosphere in grappling

You have to prove it.

Right now, I'm remembering Khabib as the guy who beat Michael Johnson, like everyone else does, and went to a gritty controversial decision with Tibau, and literally can't make weight.

Lee is a proven fighter in the division and dominated one of its best grapplers in Chiesa.

People get so bombastic on here.

He's probably right. I'm Tony's #1 fan since he lost to MJ that fight made me a fan because he went to decision with broken arm which sidelined him a year - while a loss it showed me how tough he is and you have to kill him to beat him. That said Khabib would probably take him down. It's still 50/50 and a very binary fight. If khabib get TDs he wins. If he don't he loses.

Tonys wrestling is not good enough to stop khabib from doing what he wants, he's been taken down by much lesser wrestlers like trujilo, kevin lee, almost every fight.
Has it occurred to you he wanted to go down to secure subs? Tony is a twice national champ wrestler with 22 years amateur wrestling since 4. He can wrestle fine. RDA couldnt take him down because he knew he couldnt sub BJJ BB RDAso no point in allowing TD

I shouldnt have to remind you how those two lost. Maybe taking Tony down isnt such a great idea afterall.

Last edited:
Askren goat respects the wrassling of Khalabib

From what we've seen, Khabib has pretty bad cardio. He's never gone 5 rounds before and this should be a mark against him here, not for him.

He won a very controversial decision over Tibau, and that wasn't the only fight we saw him fatigued in.

Regarding submission game, I'm not really aware of it. Generally he's won positional grappling decisions.

Seems like Khabib prefers to take his opponents down, keep them down to mentally break them, and then pound their faces in over and over. However, he does have a submission offense as shown in his fight vs. Johnson, where he won by Kimura.

Got to respect Askren. But I just want to see Khabib make it to the octagon.

Seems like Khabib prefers to take his opponents down, keep them down to mentally break them, and then pound their faces in over and over. However, he does have a submission offense as shown in his fight vs. Johnson, where he won by Kimura.

He's had 8 UFC fights, lets index them:

2 submissions
2 TKO
4 decisions

So his proclivity has been decisions, particularly over the better fighters he's matched with. Michael Johnson, for his part, took home his 7th career submission loss with Khabib.

Ferguson is a fairly ridiculous 14-1 in the UFC, which is just crazy in the lightweight division. He's had 6 submission wins, or we can say 42% of the time he taps his opponent. That is a guy who is a substantial, proven submission threat.

Khabib has been fairly inactive but in his 8 outings, we can say he's pretty likely to win a decision.

Khabib would win a 3 rounder. Problem is fight is 5 and Tony takes over due to his unnatural cardio. Khabib looks gassed in every fight by 3 and with pace Tony forces in any position and as Khabib gets older and cuts more would be sooner. Shoulda showed up years ago when first booked.

He's had 8 UFC fights, lets index them:

2 submissions
2 TKO
4 decisions

So his proclivity has been decisions, particularly over the better fighters he's matched with. Michael Johnson, for his part, took home his 7th career submission loss with Khabib.

Ferguson is a fairly ridiculous 14-1 in the UFC, which is just crazy in the lightweight division. He's had 6 submission wins, or we can say 42% of the time he taps his opponent. That is a guy who is a substantial, proven submission threat.

Khabib has been fairly inactive but in his 8 outings, we can say he's pretty likely to win a decision.

Ferguson is a serious threat on the ground, with his elbows and submissions. He would be a very tough fight for Khabib. I would say that Ferguson is the toughest matchup up for Khabib.

Of course he's gonna say that about a fighter that's also grappling heavy, with almost no striking.

But that's beside the point. It's Tony/Conor, then Tony/Khabib. We'll get to find out who's better after Tony whoops up on Conor.

Ferguson is a serious threat on the ground, with his elbows and submissions. He would be a very tough fight for Khabib. I would say that Ferguson is the toughest matchup up for Khabib.
Tony's tough and I think outlasts and subs an exhausted Khabib late still 50/50 because if it goes to judges khabib probably wins 123...but Gaethje is toughest Khabib fight. Like 90% he wins. He's super strong and will not be taken down if he doesnt want to be (like tibau) and has fantastic inside fighting which will really hurt Khabib while trying TDs.

"Tony's good. He's really good. With that being said, I guess my general feeling would be as good as Tony Ferguson is, I don't think he's good enough to stop Khabib from implementing the style he wants to implement." - Kenny Florian

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/...en-on-khabib-nurmagomedovs-wrestling-mma-news

Kenny Florian:

"Some guys like Khabib have figured out how to make contact with taking very little damage. The second part of that would be — and this isfunny, a lot of former wrestlers don't do thisbecause it's not a freestyle thing, but a folkstyle thing — he is able to control so well.

The second part is, once he gets them down, he controls the sh*t out of them. Like I said, you don't usually see that out of internationalwrestlers."
Kenny Florian:

"Give me an example. What are some of the principles of control you're talking about?"
Kenny Florian:

"Sure, getting wrist control on top. If the bottom is actually going to get up, he's going to have to turn over at some point to his knees. The whole kick them off thing, that doesn't really work anymore. It's very rare. So, you're going to have to turn over if you're going to get up. When they do turn over, if you can get wrist control ... if it's their left hand and your right, it's cross wrist. If it's your left on their left or right on right, then it's inside wrist. Once you control their wrist, you take one of their blocks away. In addition, if you apply pressure correctly, it's very hard for them to stand up, too, when they don't have that hand.

So, if you watch a lot of my fights, I get a lot of wrist control. Khabib does that. Phil Davis does it really, really well. There are people figuring out this wrist control stuff."

Back